View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Getsme

I also think - contrary to popular opinion - Jones might go on to be much the better player of the two. He's struggled to adapt to the new responsibilities that comes with Van Gaal's "philosophy" but the defensive side of his game has come on a lot this season. He's very young for a top flight CB too.
Agreed, very underrated on here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Could go on to be better than Smalling? Yeah, that's fair. He is the younger player after all and always had big potential.

I worry about his playing style though. I asked before but has there ever been a top class CB with Jones' lack of grace? I think someone suggested Puyol....

Plus his style isn't exactly conducive to avoiding injuries either, which has been his main problem for a while now. He has an awful lot of developing to do and that won't happen if he can't stay fit for good stretches of time.

Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd

binary bot
Someone needs to secretly record a Phil Jones training performance because he must be performing like Lahm on drugs. This is the third manager that thinks he's better playing out of position than players that actually play that position.

Friendly reminder that SAF once played him behind the striker to finish a match.

Just wait until De Gea gets injured and Valdes comes on to play CB so that Jones can play in nets.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Someone needs to secretly record a Phil Jones training performance because he must be performing like Lahm on drugs. This is the third manager that thinks he's better playing out of position than players that actually play that position.

Friendly reminder that SAF once played him behind the striker to finish a match.

Just wait until De Gea gets injured and Valdes comes on to play CB so that Jones can play in nets.
:lol:

But our left back is always injured. :(

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Who do you want to play LB?

binary bot
I'd rather Young or Blind to be honest, Evans can play too.

It's more of a comment on his view to managers though. Usually players with a bit of finesse, calmness and who are ambidextrous are thrown about the team but I don't see it with Jones albeit he did do a decent job at CM once or twice. Both managers have had no qualms with breaking up our ever changing CB pair. Which reminds me - remember the Smalling at right back obsession?

FromTheBench

Did decently at LB tbf though was slightly getting tucked in too much and attacking ball like a CB.

Was good today overall.

Bwuk

Clearly not a left back. Evans or Blind would of made much more sense going there.

Devil may care

I thought he did fine given he was way out of position in a role I don't think he's ever played before.

FromTheBench

I thought he did fine given he was way out of position in a role I don't think he's ever played before.
He played there vs Bayern IIRC last season. Don't remember him playing there anywhere else though.

I think LVG put them there because of his pace vs Zaha and Bolasie. Evans would have been ripped apart and Removing Blind would have meant reshuffle of whole midfield.

Sam

Left back? fecking left back?!

What is LVG smoking?

Kazi

Yeah he played there last season in the closing stages of the home match vs Bayern, when Buttner went off injured. Robben didn't have much of the ball when big Phil moved there. What a man.

dsch

I think LVG put them there because of his pace vs Zaha and Bolasie. Evans would have been ripped apart and Removing Blind would have meant reshuffle of whole midfield.
Young was our best player, there was no point limiting him by pushing him back to LB and Blind was needed in midfield. Evans could have played there but he'd just be another CB playing out of position.
This and this. We were already losing the midfield and had to make the best of a bad situation.

jb8521

Our best defender again today. Actually bothered challenging for the ball unlike the other defenders

ChrisG11

Was our best defender yesterday. Great move by LVG to react by putting him LB, meant we could keep possession better with Blind in the middle and manage Bolasie with him being a fantastic 1v1 defender. Can't wait for him to establish himself as one of the best in the league next season (if he stays fit of course).

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Not intelligent enough to become top class. A strong back up at best.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It was hilarious, but he has actually played quite well

Him and Smalling easily our best two centre backs

I still expect us to acquire a new one in the summer