5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
His positional awareness is definitely suspect.

Can't help but feel it'd be better by now if he hadn't been played all over the bloody pitch so often.

Classical Mechanic

I saw a couple of times where he was caught up the pitch or out of position.

Definitely needs to be Smalling ** at the back for me, whether the ** is Jones or Rojo I dont really know though.
Rojo lost Benteke on the corner for the goal and gave away his obligatory stupid free kick in a dangerous area. Jones would getting panned on here if he had done that today.

Walters_19_MuFc

I saw a couple of times where he was caught up the pitch or out of position.

Definitely needs to be Smalling ** at the back for me, whether the ** is Jones or Rojo I dont really know though.
Everyone will keep saying we need Smalling, and don't get me wrong, Smalling is our best centre back, in my opinion, but Rojo and Jones were fine today.

Devil may care

One of his calmer games today, I actually thought he'd gotten hurt at one point as he looked pretty disorientated.

Moriarty

His positional awareness is definitely suspect.

Can't help but feel it'd be better by now if he hadn't been played all over the bloody pitch so often.
I thought he was better today and handled both Benteke and Agbonlahor well. Both of those players are a handful but Jones stood up well and made some very good and timely tackles. I agree with your second point though. He's best at centre half and that's where he should stay.

FromTheBench

Jones and Smalling is our best partnership. And they could develop into something really good if they stay injury free and keep playing together.

Always thought that.

ZDwyr

I thought he was alright. There was one or two iffy moments with his positioning that didn't cost us. Would prefer he and Smalling were the CBs against City though, they had just begun developing a good partnership.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Sam

His positional awareness is absolutely horrendous. He runs around like a 10 years old playing Sunday league.

Him and Rojo are just not a good partnership.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Couldn't believe the amount of times he went to challenge Benteke out on the sideline for a header. It never caused us too many problems but it just lacked any sense of footballing knowledge. I thought he was good in those battles overall but there was no need to be anywhere near it.

Has done well in recent weeks though.

ChrisG11

Looked off the pace for me at the weekend. Probably didn't help being on England duty but he was struggling to beat Gabby and Benteke to the ball like he usually would do.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I initially thought that Benteke and Agbonlahor would cause Jones lots of problems with their pace and strength, but Jones handled them well even if he wasn't at his best. He won a number of aerial battles against Benteke, and he did a good job in suppressing Agbonlahor's influence. There were several instances where I was quite surprised at how he'd challenge Benteke when it wasn't really warranted, but for that aggressive approach, he did an okay job recovering his position.

Still, though, I agree with what ChrisG11 said. Jones did look as fresh as he was before as he was getting caught out more often, but given that, he still did a decent job at the back, and him being not as good as he was before didn't really hurt us as much.

Bwuk

I'd love one day to know the reasoning behind Jones on corners.

bishblaize

I'd love one day to know the reasoning behind Jones on corners.
I doubt there's much to it. We didnt have that many obvious right footed options beyond Rooney in the games he took them, and its not an unreasonable view to want your best goalscorer in the box. I guess they tried out corners in training and he was alright. Simple as that I reckon.

Getsme

Thought he was phenomenal today.

Snuffed out everything. Some great challenges and interceptions. And some of those charges up the field he was famed for when he first came here.

Hopefully him being subbed was a precaution?
Yep, after a very dodgy start by the back line I thought he played very well.

Annahnomoss

I liked his performance to. LVG clearly wants them to be aggressive and stick on their opponent when they drop to collect balls. It has worked really well, even when our defenders aren't capable of winning the ball back or taking a clean challenge it means that the opponents never get to receive balls without being in heavy pressure.

The 1 vs 1 against Aguero is world class stuff from a centre back, even the best full backs would have a hard time in a 1 vs 1 against Aguero.

PvsNP

Had a very shaky start, but improved massively. Great game overall.

Stadjer

He was great today. Hopefully he stays fit so Phil Jones becomes one of Manchester United's greatest ever players like Fergie wanted/predicted

R'hllor

Only thing is his play with a ball,think that will improve a lot just at the moment,he looks for easy way.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Am I the only one that thought he was good but looked like he was about to make a massive mistake almost every time he was on the ball?
Only thing I thought was really good was that one tackle near the edge of the box, which was perfect to be fair.

Skills

Snitch
That tackle in the first half was magnificent. Smalling + Jones please. Stick with it.