View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mu77

Still don’t get why so many (on here) underrate Jones but overrate Smalling. Both are good players, but if any player will stay out of the two I feel it will be Jones.
well in that first 2:45 jones was headless. the downside is that he does that in almost every game. TBF after that they both played very well. just think that united could let evans (ffs lets hope) , jones and/or smalling go without fear of hurting the team this summer with 2 better cb's coming in..

Classical Mechanic

Still don’t get why so many (on here) underrate Jones but overrate Smalling. Both are good players, but if any player will stay out of the two I feel it will be Jones.
I agree. I think the thing that would have concerned Van Gaal about the defensive performance was some of the absurdly bad passing that Smalling did. It was reminiscent of that infamous Bebe performance. I mean one pass missed target by about 20 yards!

I am not sure that Smalling can overcome that level of deficiency.

Jones's issues are much more correctable and should improve naturally with age and experience anyway.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Jones is not composed but rather hot headed. He plays purely by instict which is all action on one hand but also headless on the other. Not sure that can be overcome so easily

Classical Mechanic

Jones is not composed but rather hot headed. He plays purely by instict which is all action on one hand but also headless on the other. Not sure that can be overcome so easily
It is natural for most men to become calmer and more considered with age and experience. Footballers are no different.

If you really believe that Phil Jones is some sort of wild animal playing on 'instinct', then fair play to you.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I think some people are putting too much focus on that backpass. Yeah, it was a terrible pass, but comparing it to Valencia's against Arsenal is kinda stupid. It was never going to go in (De Gea had to stretch for it, but he comfortably got there), so all he really did was give away possession and a cheap corner. Big deal. He recovered very well from it and played a great match afterwards.

I also think that a lot of people forget that he just turned 23. Remember Rio as a young player?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It is natural for most men to become calmer and more considered with age and experience. Footballers are no different.

If you really believe that Phil Jones is some sort of wild animal playing on 'instinct', then fair play to you.
He's very rash and a headless chicken most of the time. It's part of his game and I'm not sure if he can change. Time will tell. But so far he hasnt developed as we all wished he could

Classical Mechanic

He's very rash and a headless chicken most of the time. It's part of his game and I'm not sure if he can change. Time will tell. But so far he hasnt developed as we all wished he could
Really?

He plays really well most of the time and has a few, but too many, suicidal moments.

I am not sure if he will prove to be good enough either but I do feel that he is unfairly criticised and deserves at least one more season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Really?

He plays really well most of the time and has a few, but too many, suicidal moments.

I am not sure if he will prove to be good enough either but I do feel that he is unfairly criticised and deserves at least one more season.
Too many or not too many?
This season, he didnt really play well overall. I doubt anyone wants to sell him already but he really needs to make a step up now

ghagua

Thought Jones did a great job after the initial 3 minutes of the game. Both him and Smalling looked class against Spurs, and kept Kane in their pocket until the last couple of minutes.

Sam

Despite nearly handing the ball to Kane on a plate, then nearly scoring an own goal, all inside the first two minutes...I thought he had a good game. Kind of standard Jones really.

Interesting that the commentator mentioned that the Smalling/Jones partnership has only played something like 3 times together in the PL, and is yet to concede a goal...surely that can't be true? On both counts.

ChrisG11

I didnt say Valencia wasnt at fault, but it was a hospital pass in the first place by Jones.
A hospital pass would suggest he put him in a near impossible situation. Valencia had time to steady himself and play a first time ball under no pressure, that's a fairly basic thing to do for any footballer, let alone a professional one. Situations like that happen numerous times a game and no one mentions it because the receiver isn't troubled and the situation is dealt with. No one would have dreamt to have comment on Jones' pass had Valencia made the most basic of passes.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I agree. I think the thing that would have concerned Van Gaal about the defensive performance was some of the absurdly bad passing that Smalling did. It was reminiscent of that infamous Bebe performance. I mean one pass missed target by about 20 yards!

I am not sure that Smalling can overcome that level of deficiency.

Jones's issues are much more correctable and should improve naturally with age and experience anyway.
Your talking about Smallings passes being absurdly bad? Did you not see Jones nearly score into his own net with a back pass and or nearly trip over the ball/his own legs, which he looks like doing nearly every time he is on the ball. Smallings passing is bad a lot of the time I wont deny that but that's usually when he is driving forward and making an attacking pass, plus his other attributes overall make up for that 1 weakness IMO. Smallings issues are the ones that are more correctable. Jones is just down right clumsy and that is not something that can be fixed.

Last edited:

DevilRed

The so called "ball retention" philosophy has worked to the detriment of both Jones and Smalling. There comes a time when you need to get the ball away from your area and we seem to be under instruction to NEVER hoof the ball even under great pressure.

LVG needs to realize this isn't la liga. There is no time on the ball especially when most teams press us away from home.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The so called "ball retention" philosophy has worked to the detriment of both Jones and Smalling. There comes a time when you need to get the ball away from your area and we seem to be under instruction to NEVER hoof the ball even under great pressure.

LVG needs to realize this isn't la liga. There is no time on the ball especially when most teams press us away from home.
Completely agree. They dwell on the ball looking for the simple short pass to keep possession and if thats not on it can get them in trouble when they get closed down quickly. Sometimes you just have to GET RID and smash it up field or into row Z.

A hospital pass would suggest he put him in a near impossible situation. Valencia had time to steady himself and play a first time ball under no pressure, that's a fairly basic thing to do for any footballer, let alone a professional one. Situations like that happen numerous times a game and no one mentions it because the receiver isn't troubled and the situation is dealt with. No one would have dreamt to have comment on Jones' pass had Valencia made the most basic of passes.
Simple question - do you think Vidic would have done that?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Really?

I was ready to jump through my TV screen the first few minutes of the game, just so I could smack him upside the head. But he did settle down, soon enough. Would not mind seeing us keep him, but I think Evans has seen his last season here, if we can not sell him right away a loan will be an option.

Classical Mechanic

Your talking about Smallings passes being absurdly bad? Did you not see Jones nearly score into his own net with a back pass and or nearly trip over the ball/his own legs, which he looks like doing nearly every time he is on the ball. Smallings passing is bad a lot of the time I wont deny that but that's usually when he is driving forward and making an attacking pass, plus his other attributes overall make up for that 1 weakness IMO. Smallings issues are the ones that are more correctable. Jones is just down right clumsy and that is not something that can be fixed.
Jones bottled it early on playing on his weak side but he then grew in to the game and was playing the ball around nicely by the end. Against Arsenal Smalling's arse fell out for the whole game playing on the same unnatural side.

I disagree on Smalling. I can't see him going from that level of poor passing to being a good ball playing centre half in the Van Gaal mode.

FWIIW I think that both Jones and Smalling will still be here next season and given another chance to impress.

I think that Vidic, even in his prime, would struggle in a Van Gaal team.

jb8521

How about the last game he played in? His weird chest pass to Valencia that forced him into an error that cost us a goal and the game.
The mistake was entirely Valencia's there was very little wrong with the chest pass and if another player had done it and Valencia had actually played the ball properly people would be saying it showed good composure but because its Jones people look to blame him

ChrisG11

Doubt it, but that's a matter of playing style, and contrary to popular belief Vidic isn't the model framework on what to do in every defensive situation. There are plenty of defenders that would try to bring it down, ball playing defenders, that are becoming more and more essential in the modern game and ones that are important for van Gaals style of play.

mu77

young player learn from their mistakes or they don't make it with a big club. jones still flies around like he did a couple years ago. has all the toos below the neck - he has to sort out his head. if he does that i'd keep him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Despite nearly handing the ball to Kane on a plate, then nearly scoring an own goal, all inside the first two minutes...I thought he had a good game. Kind of standard Jones really.

Interesting that the commentator mentioned that the Smalling/Jones partnership has only played something like 3 times together in the PL, and is yet to concede a goal...surely that can't be true? On both counts.
sounds unlikely. you never know though.

If you include the cups, I can remember one goal from Monday when they were the partnership!

Eugenius

How about the last game he played in? His weird chest pass to Valencia that forced him into an error that cost us a goal and the game.
Perfectly demonstrates the over the top criticism about Jones. Valencia f's up and he gets blamed. If anything as well, he was better than Rojo was at CB in that much (who was very lucky not to give away a penalty, and lost Welbeck in behind him a couple of times).

Truedevil

I thought the referee was going to send him off after that tackle but beside that he was good. Enjoyed seeing him boss the air with Smalling.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Loved the intensity from Phil today. The kick was a bit over the top but I'd rather have this mildly insane Phil Jones than the more recent tamer version.

izec

He had a very good game, some silly challenges, some misplaced passes, but overall a good performance. Showed passion which everyone wanted. Goes a bit over the top, not good enough. I though he did well.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He was one of our best players. The yellow card was a foul he had to make. Blind put him in an uncomfortable position and he had to take one for the team. Maybe he should not have fouled it that manner but, it is a foul he had to make to stop the attack.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was one of our best players. The yellow card was a foul he had to make. Blind put him in an uncomfortable position and he had to take one for the team. Maybe he should not have fouled it that manner but, it is a foul he had to make to stop the attack.
Just like when Rooney was sent off earlier in the season, if you wanna take one for the team because you have to, there is no need to be extra violent. A push or a shirt pull would do.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He wasnt one of our best players. He looked shaky, and it was his side of the pitch (along with Blind of course) that all Liverpools chances came from.

I just cant shake the feeling of worry whenever Jones has the ball that he is going to do something stupid, or when they have the ball that he is....going to do something stupid.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Just like when Rooney was sent off earlier in the season, if you wanna take one for the team because you have to, there is no need to be extra violent. A push or a shirt pull would do.
The foul Jones did was never a red. It only seemed like that because the Liverpool supporters overreacted because the Gerrard incident just happened.