g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thought he played well, still too rash but that's just his game.
There were two crucial interceptions he made within quick succession of each other when we were 1-0 up in the first half while Liverpool were growing into the game that were dry crucial.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Don't know why people are calling him rash. He did very well today and even the yellow was Blind's fault.

Seems to me that the word "rash" is now associated with him even though he defended fairly calmly today.

Revan

Assumptionman
Other than the yellow where Blind had already messed up, was fine.
He tried to kill himself and a Liverpool player (Lallana?) at the same time on the beginning of the match.

I get scared very much when the ball is near him.

Eugenius

There's something hilarious about watching him completely poleaxe someone. He doesn't do anything in half measures.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He tried to kill himself and a Liverpool player (Lallana?) at the same time on the beginning of the match.

I get scared very much when the ball is near him.
He won the header, how are you going to complain about that? We need some more people like that who aren't pussies and afraid to win a 50/50.

Revan

Assumptionman
He won the header, how are you going to complain about that? We need some more people like that who aren't pussies and afraid to win a 50/50.
It was a reckless challenge, which could have injured him and Liverpool player. It resulted in a foul which could have been a yellow.

He also could have been sent off on Henderson's case.

izec

Love you Phil :drool: What a man, what a player :drool: At least someone jumping around and not pussying, absolutely loved it, at least today.

SambaBoy

Thought he was very good today, made some key interceptions, was difficult to beat on the deck and aerially. In some cases though, the gap between him and Smalling was too large and Liverpool players were threatening to get in behind.

SirAF

Ageist
Thought he was very good today, and I loved the way he smashed "Hendo" :drool:

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He was one of our best players. The yellow card was a foul he had to make. Blind put him in an uncomfortable position and he had to take one for the team. Maybe he should not have fouled it that manner but, it is a foul he had to make to stop the attack.
Agreed, first half especially he was magnificent imo.

Acole9

Outstanding
That tackle wasn't the cleverest thing to do, on another day a ref may have acted differently.

FromTheBench

I can see where it comes from, but he gets stereotyped too much.

Didn't see people moaning constantly at Vidic being rash? Or even Rojo?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
That tackle wasn't the cleverest thing to do, on another day a ref may have acted differently.
Once again I do not think it was ever a red. It only looked questionable because of the crowd's reaction(who were still riled up from Gerrard being sent off).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was fine today, though lucky enough to only get a yellow given the circumstances.

I've come to realise I really don't trust him though. Today he was the player I felt was most likely to screw up in defence (or injure himself tackling someone). This has nothing to do with what he actually did on the pitch today but rather the impression that has formed over the course of the season.

Don't think he's going to make it here and if we sell more than one CB in the summer then he'll be one of them imo.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Was fine today, though lucky enough to only get a yellow given the circumstances.

I've come to realise I really don't trust him though. Today he was the player I felt was most likely to screw up in defence (or injure himself tackling someone). This has nothing to do with what he actually did on the pitch today but rather the impression that has formed over the course of the season.

Don't think he's going to make it here and if we sell more than one CB in the summer then he'll be one of them imo.
For all the moaning people do about Jones on here Van Gaal seems to trust him.

Revan

Assumptionman
I can see where it comes from, but he gets stereotyped too much.

Didn't see people moaning constantly at Vidic being rash? Or even Rojo?
Cause they weren't near as much rash as Jones. Rojo made a crazt challenge a few weeks ago, but otherwise has been quite calm. Vidic lost his head several times.

Jones on the other side is just weird. It isn't that he is malicious or anything like that, just that he looks to have no controll at all on his body. When he sees the ball he just goes to clear it regardless of consequences (both on the possibility of injuring himself or someone else and the possibility of being booked/sent off). And he does that pretty much every game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd have thought that's hard to judge at this point, no? The injuries we've had in defence have meant that all our CBs have been given a chance to shine at various points. Not sure why we'd think that he trust Jones more than Smalling and Rojo is certainly not going to be going anywhere either.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he started our season as our second CB (after Rojo) but on the last few weeks I think that LVG preferred Smalling. Now that Rojo is back, it would be interesting to see who will partner Rojo. I guess it will be Smalling consideiring how good he has been this season.

FromTheBench

Cause they weren't near as much rash as Jones. Rojo made a crazt challenge a few weeks ago, but otherwise has been quite calm. Vidic lost his head several times.

Jones on the other side is just weird. It isn't that he is malicious or anything like that, just that he looks to have no controll at all on his body. When he sees the ball he just goes to clear it regardless of consequences (both on the possibility of injuring himself or someone else and the possibility of being booked/sent off). And he does that pretty much every game.
Vidic used to take out people running at him out wide or on the edge of the box routinely. Throwing himself many a times at players and he similarly also didn't take any prisoners while heading the ball.

Infact Jones probably gives out less fouls and has less red cards.

I mean sometimes he can definitely be too rash and aggressive and even look stupid but it gets stereotyped too much. Infact his whole game does due to past set reputation and few errors he might make.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm glad to see that bit of recklessness back in him. He became far too passive and safe and that actually created unnecessary errors.

He's not had a red card in a United shirt (think this is right) as far as I know. Absolute beast at the last ditch stuff. And he's just hilarious.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Aye, rashness and clumsiness is a bad mix in a centre back.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm glad to see that bit of recklessness back in him. He became far too passive and safe and that actually created unnecessary errors.

He's not had a red card in a United shirt (think this is right) as far as I know. Absolute beast at the last ditch stuff. And he's just hilarious.
He has not had a red card in his career yet.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Henderson put Llana through on goal right through the middle, neither Jones nor Smalling reacted to him at all.
No such thing as a perfect game at Anfield. Will take one or two chances for the other team as long as they're not slaughtering us.

He sniffed out plenty of attacks at the earliest opportunity.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Was pretty funny when he murdered Lallana (or was it Allen?)... surprised he didn't get a first booking for that!

Revan

Assumptionman
He has not had a red card in his career yet.
I don't think that it means much, to be honest. Suarez didn't had a red card for Liverpool. I haven't seen Costa ever being sent off.

Anyway, Jones fouls aren't red cards (I think that today wasn't a red card too) and he definitely doesn't have any intention to harm players. Just that he doesn't have any security measures in his tackles. Which could be a reason (similarily to Rafael) why he gets injured this much.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He sure does has an affinity for those full blooded tackles, trouble is, you look pretty daft if you don't pull them off. Oh well, I'll live with it.