5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I don't think that it means much, to be honest. Suarez didn't had a red card for Liverpool. I haven't seen Costa ever being sent off.

Anyway, Jones fouls aren't red cards (I think that today wasn't a red card too) and he definitely doesn't have any intention to harm players. Just that he doesn't have any security measures in his tackles. Which could be a reason (similarily to Rafael) why he gets injured this much.
In the context of last man challenges and stuff though, it shows his capability. He's had countless risky moments as the last man, but he always seems to get the ball.

Today's was never a red, but the crowd and Tyler were gunning for it because of Stevie G. It was clumsy and late, not reckless.

I said earlier, I'm glad to see this side of his game come back. He was making more mistakes trying to be safe and clever. He's far better off throwing himself about because that is what he is naturally good at. Vidic did it for years and obviously got some unfortunate injuries in the end, but his performances are always in the memory. Jones is that type of defender, and hopefully he can get a clean run without injury to make his mark.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Great game again from him. Then again, he always makes me nervous, since he always looks like he has atleast one moment of insanity in him each game

That challenge on Henderson today could easily been a red on another day
Only from a poor referee.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm always nervous when he's on the pitch, he's a dodgy bastard to be honest. Decent game but he's still not good enough to be a regular in my opinion. Much prefer Smalling and Rojo. Having said that he and Smalling have done very well the past two games.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just lacks the brain for the highest level. Absolutely no reason to give Atkinson a decision. Could well have been red, given the atmosphere and situation - and as a player he should know that.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Just lacks the brain for the highest level. Absolutely no reason to give Atkinson a decision. Could well have been red, given the atmosphere and situation - and as a player he should know that.
Jones had to make a foul in that situation no ways around it. Liverpool would have been n a great position to counter if he did not make that foul.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Jones had to make a foul in that situation no ways around it. Liverpool would have been n a great position to counter if he did not make that foul.
Definitely, make the foul, but don't kick through like that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Decent performance overall but he still worries me at times.

He also goes in for things with his head that are completely brainless, see today on Lallana.

He'd try and head the ball a foot off the floor.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm always nervous when he's on the pitch, he's a dodgy bastard to be honest. Decent game but he's still not good enough to be a regular in my opinion. Much prefer Smalling and Rojo. Having said that he and Smalling have done very well the past two games.
Feel exactly the same buddy

m1y2

I think he had a great game tbh. I absolutely loved how he took down Lallana, cleanly

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I don't think any of his challenges today were reds. Football is still a contact sport, you can't go giving out straight reds for every "strong challenge". It wasn't reckless, his studs weren't up etc.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't get why we're so adverse to fouling and aggression here, its part of the modern game and the best teams know how to do it intelligently. I liked the challenge on Lallana, Lallana would've been a little sheepish going for his next 50/50. The Henderson foul was a smart one, he spoiled what was looking like a very dangerous attack and if you're going to foul someone, you might as well do it properly!

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Only an idiot would have said his challenge on Henderson was a red, you see tackles like that every game. It would barely be classed as a dreadful tackle which I suppose it was and deserved a yellow.

Overall on Jones, I still remain unconvinced by Jones. Probably the weakest of the centre halves we have but then he is still only just 23.

mu77

still a bit dodgy but as long as he charges into opposing players and not united's.

Adebesi

I can see where it comes from, but he gets stereotyped too much.

Didn't see people moaning constantly at Vidic being rash? Or even Rojo?
That's a pertinent comparison for me, I was thinking while watching the game that he was playing that role for us, you need a bit of it in your team for games like this. He did walk a fine line at times but I also think it played it's part in getting our result. Great performance from him. Might have been my man of the match were it not for Mata.

Classical Mechanic

That's a pertinent comparison for me, I was thinking while watching the game that he was playing that role for us, you need a bit of it in your team for games like this. He did walk a fine line at times but I also think it played it's part in getting our result. Great performance from him. Might have been my man of the match were it not for Mata.
I was mad at him during the game because I felt that he was going too close to giving the ref an excuse to even things up. Smalling actually gave away the most stupid foul by giving them a free kick in a good position near the box.

Adebesi

I can understand that. He can't play that way week in week out that's for sure. He certainly needs to mature a bit in how he uses his aggression. But in the heat of this particular battle I think it was justified.

Classical Mechanic

I can understand that. He can't play that way week in week out that's for sure. He certainly needs to mature a bit in how he uses his aggression. But in the heat of this particular battle I think it was justified.
He is utterly fearless, a bit like Brian Robson was. There is something to admire in that.

ZDwyr

I thought he had broken Lallana in half :lol:. Just smashed into him. Jones never does anything less than 100%. A good performance though I thought, well done Phil.

ChrisG11

I don't get why we're so adverse to fouling and aggression here, its part of the modern game and the best teams know how to do it intelligently. I liked the challenge on Lallana, Lallana would've been a little sheepish going for his next 50/50. The Henderson foul was a smart one, he spoiled what was looking like a very dangerous attack and if you're going to foul someone, you might as well do it properly!
We aren't for the most part, it just depends who's committing the fouls as to which agenda we decide to use.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

fecking love you guys! its obvious Phil has a man-crush for Juan (football ability wise of course... he was in awe of him by the end of the game (hugging/lifting him). So good to see that type of relation between our players.

Jones had a pretty good game as well imo. a fecking beast. keep it up Phil!

ricky-romeo

that tackle was never a red card. careless yes, but that is what you are going to get at least once in a game from phil jones.

hope we'll see more of this smalling-jones combo.

Bojan11

Is he in the England squad?

I just hope to feck he doesn't get injured again. Want to see what him and Smalling are capable of with a run of games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Only if the ref is an idiot.
Only an idiot would have said his challenge on Henderson was a red, you see tackles like that every game. It would barely be classed as a dreadful tackle which I suppose it was and deserved a yellow.

Overall on Jones, I still remain unconvinced by Jones. Probably the weakest of the centre halves we have but then he is still only just 23.
He came in late, it was a counter (so professional foul) and he just absolutely poleaxed him. Yes, a red would have been harsh, but in a heated derby like this refs can make some stupid decisions.

Not saying it should have been, saying it could have been and that's the problem with Jones. He makes these dumb decisions regularly and he needs to calm the feck down

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Too much has been made of his challenge on Henderson. Just a mistimed challenge that was never a red.

I thought he had a pretty decent game. Our midfield today did a good job of closing players down and letting our defense breathe.

ZDwyr

I thought the Henderson tackle was a little too close to the edge. Don't think it deserved a red, but it was probably more than a yellow (which makes no sense, I know). Was just too reckless, but that is Phil Jones.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
If a Liverpool player had fouled in the same manner as the Jones on Henderson one. You guys would have been shouting for a red card.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He came in late, it was a counter (so professional foul) and he just absolutely poleaxed him. Yes, a red would have been harsh, but in a heated derby like this refs can make some stupid decisions.

Not saying it should have been, saying it could have been and that's the problem with Jones. He makes these dumb decisions regularly and he needs to calm the feck down
Sure, ref's make mistakes all the time. I mean a ref could have made a mistake and sent off Balotelli for mistiming his tackle and kicking Jones too, but those challenges happen all the time and refs tend not to make mistakes like that often.

I think poleaxed is a bit much to describe it, having said that I do agree Jones does need to calm the heck down and it's the main reason why I remain unconvinced by him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Can be rash and he could have got sent off by a weaker official but is committed to the cause. It's hard to not like him as a player. He just needs to tone it down on occasion.

FromTheBench

I think the way he came rushing in made it look worse than actual contact with Henderson. Actually kind of similar to Gerrard's tackle on Mata before his red.

Never a red though.

finneh

If a Liverpool player had fouled in the same manner as the Jones on Henderson one. You guys would have been shouting for a red card.
Maybe for 10 minutes afterwards during the heat of the game, particularly after Gerrard's red card. Once you take a deep breath and look at it though, it's clearly a yellow.