5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The problem is he is your typical "English defender". He is a brave John Terry throw your head infront of a bus type, who while it looks great and brave is actually a bad way of defending. I much prefer Smalling's way of intercepting and winning the ball cleaner. Jones nearly gives himself an injury every match, and as pointed out could quite easily have seen red against Liverpool.

The header was just poorly timed, but sometimes you can't always win the ball. It was dangerous and he could have hurt Lallana badly. Timing of his tackles is something he really needs to improve on, but apart from that it was a really good performance.
Being a Terry type defender isn't a problem at all, Terry has managed to be an outstanding centre-back for years with that style.

Jones' problems are that 1) his style of play is much clumsier than someone like Terry's, 2) he isn't anywhere near being as good as someone like Terry atm and 3) he isn't developing quickly enough to suggest he's likely to ever reach that standard.

jb8521

The attitude towards Jones is ridiculous on here at times. Even when he plays well people refuse to acknowledge things he's done well and base their judgement on past games. People say he's not good enough defensively yet he does more defensive work than any of our other players. People praise Carrick and Blind's reading of the game for making interceptions but call Jones stupid despite him making more interceptions per game than either. People give out about his passing yet his average pass percentage is 86 percent and for all the talk about him constantly throwing himself around the place recklessly he only concedes just over 1 foul per game and only has 3 yellow cards this season. He has only turned 23 and has spent the past few years playing in various positions in a team in transition and obviously hasnt been helped by his injury problems. At his age Stam was playing in the Dutch 2nd division with Cambuur, Ronnei Johnsen was playing as a striker a lot of the time, Thiago Silva was on the verge of retiring from football, Benatia was playing in Ligue 2 with Clermont and Koscielny was playing in Ligue 2. Many on here seem to think that he should be the finished article at an age when most players and central defenders in particular are still learning the game and ignore the fact that our 2 best central defenders in recent times in Ferdinand and Vidic both joined when they were older than Jones is now and both had some very shaky times and plenty of mistakes in their early days at the club. Yes he has mistakes in him but so does every young defender including the likes of Varane and Laporte who most on here would gladly spend huge money on and both have actually made more mistakes this season than Jones has

Classical Mechanic

The attitude towards Jones is ridiculous on here at times. Even when he plays well people refuse to acknowledge things he's done well and base their judgement on past games. People say he's not good enough defensively yet he does more defensive work than any of our other players. People praise Carrick and Blind's reading of the game for making interceptions but call Jones stupid despite him making more interceptions per game than either. People give out about his passing yet his average pass percentage is 86 percent and for all the talk about him constantly throwing himself around the place recklessly he only concedes just over 1 foul per game and only has 3 yellow cards this season. He has only turned 23 and has spent the past few years playing in various positions in a team in transition and obviously hasnt been helped by his injury problems. At his age Stam was playing in the Dutch 2nd division with Cambuur, Ronnei Johnsen was playing as a striker a lot of the time, Thiago Silva was on the verge of retiring from football, Benatia was playing in Ligue 2 with Clermont and Koscielny was playing in Ligue 2. Many on here seem to think that he should be the finished article at an age when most players and central defenders in particular are still learning the game and ignore the fact that our 2 best central defenders in recent times in Ferdinand and Vidic both joined when they were older than Jones is now and both had some very shaky times and plenty of mistakes in their early days at the club. Yes he has mistakes in him but so does every young defender including the likes of Varane and Laporte who most on here would gladly spend huge money on and both have actually made more mistakes this season than Jones has
Amen.

Cerpin

Great post. It's easy to overlook the fact that he's quite an accomplished reader of the game, because of his physical qualities and his tendencies to go into reckless challenges.
He needs to tone down on that recklessness for his own good, though(as well as other players.) His biggest problems so far have been injuries, and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those are directly caused by his own clumsiness

bri2013

great post!

mu77

Yes he has mistakes in him but so does every young defender including the likes of Varane and Laporte who most on here would gladly spend huge money on and both have actually made more mistakes this season than Jones has

you watch loads of football to see them make mistakes let alone play week in and week out. so they aren't better than jones?

Classical Mechanic

you watch loads of football to see them make mistakes let alone play week in and week out. so they aren't better than jones?
This sentence doesn't really make sense.

I have seen Varane put in a few horrible performances this season and I don't even watch Madrid that much, if that is what you are getting at?

mu77

This sentence doesn't really make sense.

I have seen Varane put in a few horrible performances this season and I don't even watch Madrid that much, if that is what you are getting at?
no i'm looking at someone who watches these two play so much that he or she has seen them make more mistakes than phil jones. that's a lot of football. hence why i wrote "you watch loads of football to see them make mistakes let alone play week in and week out."
i watch mostly the prem.
the last question is are they better than jones or not? that seems pretty easy to understand.

m1y2

I thought the Henderson tackle was a little too close to the edge. Don't think it deserved a red, but it was probably more than a yellow (which makes no sense, I know). Was just too reckless, but that is Phil Jones.
I think it was dark yellow or close to orange-red but never a proper red. But as it was said refs can get carried away easily in this kind of games especially to compensate but Mr. Bean did well apart not sending off the feckwit Skrtel

jb8521

Yeah I watch most Real Madrid games and a good few Atletic Bilbao games. Im not saying that they aren't or don't have the potential to be better than Jones as its hard to compare players from different leagues and there's 2 years between Jones and Laporte but I don't think either have significantly outperformed him this season and definitely not to the extent that Jones is basically seen as a joke on here to certain people while they would gladly pay 30-40 million for Laporte or Varane. Varane has been brilliant the past few seasons and is better on the ball but doesn't do anywhere near as much defensively as Jones and when he has had to defend this season he hasn't done well. Laporte iis strong in the air and reads the game well to nip in and take the ball away from attackers but can be caught out positionally at times and despite having a reputation as a ball playing defender actually gives the ball away quite a lot and throws himself into some very reckless tackles. Of the young central defenders playing in La Liga the one who's impressed me most this season has been Jose Gimenez who reminds me of Vidic. Anyway my original post wasnt to compare these players but more to point out that even the highest rated young defenders make mistakes but these get ignored while Jones often gets vilified on here for things which arent even his fault such as the Valencia back pass.

mu77

Yeah I watch most Real Madrid games and a good few Atletic Bilbao games. Im not saying that they aren't or don't have the potential to be better than Jones as its hard to compare players from different leagues and there's 2 years between Jones and Laporte but I don't think either have significantly outperformed him this season and definitely not to the extent that Jones is basically seen as a joke on here to certain people while they would gladly pay 30-40 million for Laporte or Varane.
so is it hyperbole on your part saying that they've made more mistakes than jones? you really don't know that for certain do you? varane looks quality to me but not 30-40m worth. and they are both younger than phil and rio was about a year older than he is now. phil needs to use his head more , he has always had the physical side of the game but to those who say he reads the game well , i'm not sold on that yet. he is only 23 so maybe. laporte looks a bit out of control in the few games i've seen - one in which he was sent off.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Interesting that he has the higher number of interceptions in the league per game for a defender this season. And 2nd highest for any player.
I've noticed him intercepting/blocking a lot of through balls these last couple of matches. I think he is a way smarter player than he is given credit for.

Great post.

Criticism of Jones is always way of the top, he makes 1 mistake and he is a bumbling moron without a brain whereas some other flavour of the month defender or even our own Smalling will make the same mistake and it will be swept under the rug. The amount of shit he got for Valencia's feck up was ridiculous, somehow it is Jones' fault that Valencia can't kick a ball.

mu77

He never said they have made more mistakes than Jones. He said they make mistakes like Jones.
no read it again it's in english , hold on here you go i'll make it simple - Varane and Laporte who most on here would gladly spend huge money on and both have actually made more mistakes this season than Jones has. reading the whole post is fundamental to a/the reply. ffs you even copied his post in which i quoted him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
no read it again it's in english , hold on here you go i'll make it simple - Varane and Laporte who most on here would gladly spend huge money on and both have actually made more mistakes this season than Jones has. reading the whole post is fundamental to a/the reply. ffs you even copied his post in which i quoted him.
Alright, relax to feck buddy. I missed the more in the last sentence.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Nope. He's as average a defender as you'll get in the PL.

Uses his physical capabilities to make up for a lack of skill or footballing brain.
When I read that sentence, I immediately thought of Zat Knight. Now he was a defender who overly relied on his physical qualities. However, I've kept track of Jones since his Blackburn days, and since the beginning, he never really looked like someone who overly relied on recoveries in his defending. He was always quick on his feet and very good at reading the opposing ball holder. Positionally, and in terms of reading the game, he wasn't as refined as J.M. Gimenez is at a similar age, but he showed very good anticipation. Combined with his aggressive defending style, I immediately starting making comparisons with John Terry at his best, and I'm somewhat surprised that I'm not the only one who sees that.

He is a brave John Terry throw your head infront of a bus type, who while it looks great and brave is actually a bad way of defending.
It's not bad if you do it at a calculated approach. Under Mourinho in the past, yes, he may have been given a platform to defend like that, but he wasn't as gung-ho and loose as he, Cahill, and Kompany are now. Even Vidic was quite aggressive in his defending, but he was very calculated. Certainly, in the past few matches, and even in many moments this season, we've seen Jones show a better reading of the game that allows him to defend with controlled aggression. Compare that to his first season here when he was quite reckless but great at recovering himself. van Gaal has certainly done a great job at controlling Jones, and I do believe that he'll start to show the promise he initially showed at Blackburn. His reading of the game has massively improved, and whilst he still has some recklessness in him, I'm sure that will be coached out of him as there's already progress being made in that department. Look at how often he's filled in excellently for Blind. He's been a great supporting defender for Blind on that left side, and I sometimes wonder if we'd have fared as well on that side if Rojo was there instead of Jones.

Of the young central defenders playing in La Liga the one who's impressed me most this season has been Jose Gimenez who reminds me of Vidic. Anyway my original post wasnt to compare these players but more to point out that even the highest rated young defenders make mistakes but these get ignored while Jones often gets vilified on here for things which arent even his fault such as the Valencia back pass.
Definitely. Young defenders do make mistakes quite often, but they're often brushed under the carpet unless you actually pay attention to their defending. Certainly, people have been very watchful of Jones, and I doubt most would have kept a close eye on other young defenders like Varane, Laporte, Sule, etc.

However, J.M. Gimenez has been a very refined defender for someone of his age. I'm sure that he'll be the best defender in the world when he develops and refines his game even more.

Annahnomoss

People critiquing Jones and Smalling really needs to take a step back and compare them to current defenders rather than old legends. Ramos and Pique are more error-prone than Smalling/Jones. Luiz/Mangala who cost damn near a 100 mill together aren't better defenders nor less error prone either.

Boateng was considered a joke for City - Bayern brought him in and they gave him time and confidence. Dante as well isn't some kind of world class centre back.

The quality these days is low but Smalling and Jones, with Rojo as rotation and Evans as a back up is probably the best about these days after PSG and Atletico.

Smalling, Jones and Shaw are our only British players for the future as well and replacing those with international names would be a shame and a mistake.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Smalling, Jones and Shaw are our only British players for the future as well and replacing those with international names would be a shame and a mistake.
Especially if there's no one better available to obtain at the moment who can offer us many years of good service.

Annahnomoss

Phil Jones is the best CB this season with Tomkins according to WhoScored ratings. He has the third highest amount of interceptions in the league(Blind is fourth) and actually a very low amount of tackles.

Smalling has roughly half the tackles and interceptions of Jones. What stands out for Smalling is how rarely he gets dribbled past, 0.2 per game is incredible - Thiago Silva has 0.3.

Annahnomoss

Especially if there's no one better available to obtain at the moment who can offer us many years of good service.
With Young being very likely to lose his starting place in this summer(or even earlier if Di Maria and Mata stays fits and plays well) and Carrick's age - it does seem a bit disturbing. Even Rooney is very soon 30.

Would be sad to go the route of Madrid/Chelsea/City of not playing hardly any players from their nation.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Phil Jones is the best CB this season with Tomkins according to WhoScored ratings. He has the third highest amount of interceptions in the league(Blind is fourth) and actually a very low amount of tackles.
This just proves what I've observed from Jones for much of this season: he hasn't been as reckless as he used to be. I find it strange how so many still see him like he was in his first season with us when he was actually quite reckless. Now, though, he's much more calculated in his defending and demonstrates much better awareness and anticipation than he used to.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This just proves what I've observed from Jones for much of this season: he hasn't been as reckless as he used to be. I find it strange how so many still see him like he was in his first season with us when he was actually quite reckless. Now, though, he's much more calculated in his defending and demonstrates much better awareness and anticipation than he used to.
Although his anticipation has improved this season, I still think he's pretty reckless with his tackles.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had plenty of very good and crucial interceptions which implies that he can actually read the game

jb8521

so is it hyperbole on your part saying that they've made more mistakes than jones? you really don't know that for certain do you? varane looks quality to me but not 30-40m worth. and they are both younger than phil and rio was about a year older than he is now. phil needs to use his head more , he has always had the physical side of the game but to those who say he reads the game well , i'm not sold on that yet. he is only 23 so maybe. laporte looks a bit out of control in the few games i've seen - one in which he was sent off.
How exactly does that make what I said hyperbole did you want an actual list of mistakes or something? Never mind the entire season they've both probably made more mistakes in the past month or so than Jones has all season with Laporte directly responsible for goals against Torino in the home and away games and Almeria at the weekend and looking clueless against Barcelona and Varane making multiple mistakes in the games against Atletico and Schalke. You seem to be doubting how much I've seen of them for some reason. You initially said "you watch loads of football to see them make mistakes let alone play week in and week out" and now you're saying "you really don't know that for certain do you?" Why ask for my opinion on them at all if you doubt how much I've seen of them. Anybody that's watched them a lot this season can tell you that they have both made plenty of mistakes some of which have been punished and some haven't, of course there is no way of actually proving this other than by actually watching their games which you clearly haven't done so I don't really see why you're questioning my opinions on them based on your own lack of knowledge of them

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think anybody here is saying Jones is a rubbish defender, that is clearly not true. I rate him a lot when he is on form. He is quick, strong, brave and does usually read the game really well. He is just over zealous sometimes and feels a little out of control, which I think gives a bit of confusion in our defense.

He will learn that with age though and won't go diving headfirst into every loose ball available, and will become better for it.

Annahnomoss

Jones has been around for so long that people still forget that a "young talent" like Mangala is a year older than him. When you compare him to Ramos, Pique, Kompany, Luiz, Dante, Pepe etc who are all in their peak - he actually looks pretty damn good.

I wouldn't make a 1:1 trade between Jones and any of those defenders, just based on current abilities alone. Then you add to the fact that Jones has 4-5 years until he will reach his absolute peak.

I appreciate him. He's still slightly rash but he's improved a lot though every season so far and this year he looks much less likely to cause a yellow or red with his challenges.

He still has that feeling of rashness about him, but in reality he's got three yellows which is a damn good turn out for "an aggressive ball winner who averages the most interceptions and has the best statistics in the league overall of the CB's.".

Rojo has 6 yellows in 17 games which is very rash and risky.
Young and RVP has 5 yellows
Rooney 5 and 1 red
Fellaini has 4 yellows
He has the shared 8th-12th most yellows with Herrera, Wilson and Blind.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I've been a huge critic of Jones and remain unconvinced but one of his major problems is that when he gets it wrong he gets it horribly fecking wrong. The Courtney Lawes style takeout of Lallana and the clattering of Henderson were so clumsy, reckless and with potential for serious injury that they overshadowed all the good work he did in the game. LVG has spoken of "controlling emotion" as key and if he can somehow get Jones to do just that, to slow things down a bit, compose himself, he'll be a far, far better player and he'll be spending far less time in treatment room.

Classical Mechanic

Rojo has 6 yellows in 17 games which is very rash and risky.
Rojo is similar to Vidic in that when he gets done he commits a professional foul. Jones has the advantage in that area with his recovery pace.

I think it is worth pointing out that Jones challenge on Lallana riled Gerrard up somewhat. He came on with the attitude of bullying a few players as he had seen us playing more aggressive and dominating Liverpool in the first half.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I actually really enjoyed his take outs of Lallana and Henderson. It was a derby after all and that passion is good to see imo.

The only worry is that he got himself in a situation with both where he'd left his man to come forward and make that tackle/interception. If he'd been skinned either time we'd have been fecked. And that wouldn't be the first time it'd have cost us a goal this season with his preference for coming and getting stuck in rather than holding back patiently.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's been much better of late. The advantage of playing a few games in the one position. I still don't think you can disagree that he's a massive idiot, though. He always seems on the verge of doing something inexplicable.

Classical Mechanic

The only worry is that he got himself in a situation with both where he'd left his man to come forward and make that tackle/interception.
The second time he was saving Blind's ass as he lost the ball in a dangerous area! Gary Neville pointed out against Spurs that he had bail Blind out a few times in that game too. Jones is actually very good at covering his full back, it is part of a centre backs job.

Annahnomoss

Rojo is similar to Vidic in that when he gets done he commits a professional foul. Jones has the advantage in that area with his recovery pace.

I think it is worth pointing out that Jones challenge on Lallana riled Gerrard up somewhat. He came on with the attitude of bullying a few players as he had seen us playing more aggressive and dominating Liverpool in the first half.
I like Rojo but I think 5 yellows in his last 7 games is too much. Taking a tactical yellow card offense against top teams is a great thing but resorting to it against every opponent you face isn't.

His fouls came after 60~ minutes in average so in that regard it isn't a huge problem as he hasn't been sent off once.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
The second time he was saving Blind's ass as he lost the ball in a dangerous area! Gary Neville pointed out against Spurs that he had bail Blind out a few times in that game too. Jones is actually very good at covering his full back, it is part of a centre backs job.
I was mainly referring to the Lallana incident there to be honest. I'd have to see the Henderson one again, but I'm sure there was an opportunity to hold him up rather than wipe him out.

Anyway like I said originally I enjoyed Jones smashing him so I'm not really complaining. It just worries me that the writing is on the wall that he won't quite get there in time, or will get himself sent off, in future games.

Smores

The criticism of him is mostly fair but it does need to be put into the context that he's been shifted around for his entire career. At Blackburn he didn't really get to learn the skill of defending as they just utilised his physicality.

He's a young defender who just needs a long run of games as a CB. Still prefer Rojo at this time mind.

mu77

How exactly does that make what I said hyperbole did you want an actual list of mistakes or something? Never mind the entire season they've both probably made more mistakes in the past month or so than Jones has all season with Laporte directly responsible for goals against Torino in the home and away games and Almeria at the weekend and looking clueless against Barcelona and Varane making multiple mistakes in the games against Atletico and Schalke. You seem to be doubting how much I've seen of them for some reason. You initially said "you watch loads of football to see them make mistakes let alone play week in and week out" and now you're saying "you really don't know that for certain do you?" Why ask for my opinion on them at all if you doubt how much I've seen of them. Anybody that's watched them a lot this season can tell you that they have both made plenty of mistakes some of which have been punished and some haven't, of course there is no way of actually proving this other than by actually watching their games which you clearly haven't done so I don't really see why you're questioning my opinions on them based on your own lack of knowledge of them
because you wrote it as gospel , I actually agree with you spending 40m on someone else doesn't interest me. i did ask if they were better because i want to know. IMO and i'm not LVG , but smalling and jones play until the end of the year as united's cb's. no faffin' around unless they get hurt. it will give us a good look at next yr. the last few matches have been quite good and things look bright if they keep this up. 40m could be used more wisely IMO on a WC striker if these two guys can work as a pair.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I honestly feel we might have cracked it with Jones and Smalling now. Just really, really hope neither gets injured.