View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

montpelier

I thought the tackle was borderline yellow/red and he got the benefit of the doubt.

Collision with Lallana might have been a yellow at another time. (harshly perhaps, not quite sure what to make of that one).

So, he was a little bit lucky.

Robbie Boy

If a Liverpool player had fouled in the same manner as the Jones on Henderson one. You guys would have been shouting for a red card.
Get a grip would you. It was a mistimed tackle, not a malicious stamp. In no world was it a red.

SirAF

Ageist
There's a lot of stupid cowards out there. Being dumb doesn't necessarily make you brave.
Exactly.

I'm not very pleased with this whole "Jones is dumb as a sack of shite" narrative - he's hard as nails and tackles like a mad man. I love it - as long as he doesn't hurt himself seriously. It's not a bad thing to have one or two players who can scare the crap out of opposition players by going gung ho once in a while as long as he doesn't do it in an area where it might cost us. I bet oppositions players are dreading going up against him.

Robbie Boy

It was a mistimed, rash challenge - it could easily have been given a red.
The only way it was a red was if the ref bowed to home support and evened it up to ten men apiece. In normal circumstances, it was a yellow. A red wasn't warranted. Jones is rash as feck though, I do know that. It was a stupid challenge and I cursed him at the time but not a red.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think the challenge on Henderson was any more than a booking.

I do however think he should have been booked for absolutely pole-axing Lallana - so this could have been a second yellow, though obviously he might not have made it had he been on a booking already.

To borrow from Alan Partridge... TWAT!!!

JackXX

I pissed myself when he clattered the lama. It was so Phil Jones. Nothing malicious in it but he's a health hazard to anyone in the stadium tbh. :lol:

Adebesi

I pissed myself when he clattered the lama. It was so Phil Jones. Nothing malicious in it but he's a health hazard to anyone in the stadium tbh. :lol:
Im not so sure about that. I think it was more than about winning that ball there and then. I think he had every intention of clattering Lallana, letting Liverpool know we werent going to be pushed around. Not that I think he wanted to hospitalise him or anything, but Im sure he wanted him to feel it. So I would say it was mildly malicious. And bless him for that.

JackXX

If it was any other player I would agree @Adebesi but I think he would have done the same thing if one of our own players was there. He just throws his body around like a maniac.

lalloyd

Needs to get this rashness out of his game if he's ever going to develop into a top quality centre half. Played well yesterday though. I always forget how young he is as well; plenty of learning to do. Hopefully he can stay relatively injury-free for a few years.

Skills

Snitch
That challenge on Lallana was magnificent. I thought he concussed himself when he got up looking dazed, but then I remembered that's just his face. I thought he had a very good game yesterday. A couple of brilliant interceptions at key moments when the game could've flipped just before half time.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
If it was any other player I would agree @Adebesi but I think he would have done the same thing if one of our own players was there. He just throws his body around like a maniac.
This is correct, I've seen him do the same to our players this season. More than once actually :lol:

Thought Phil and Chris had a great match yesterday. I would not want to play against them, at all. They strike me as a Pepe & Ramos combo, which has worked out very well for Madrid.

Both Ramos and Pepe are or were known for their wild moments too, and I remember John Terry getting himself sent off against Barca when he kicked Sanchez for no reason. Vidic has had his wild moments, a lot of great defenders are very rash at times, even later on in their careers. So I don't think Jones will lose this behaviour, but I also don't think it will prevent him from becoming at world class defender.

IwatUwat

It was a yellow dont know why theres even a question about it. Clutching at straws I thought Liverpool fans were until I read some on here debating it. Completely confused. Mistimed definite yellow nothing more.

Sam

He's genuinely terrible. Just runs around the pitch throwing himself into everything, with no regards to positional sense or the safety of himself/other players.

He's easily the stupidest player I've ever seen play for United.

Its every game. As good as he might have been for 89 minutes, again he has that one minute where he does his best to cost us the game.

It was a definite yellow but could easily have been given as a red, especially with Atkinson around.

Then there was his best effort at injuring himself.

Smalling is improving but i just dont see it from Jones.

Sam

Well that's just nonsense.

Why are you so constantly negative? You've become like @noodlehair, without the wit and humour.
He's mid table quality. Has great physical assets, but doesn't have the technique or brain to be a top level defender. Would probably be great at a club like Everton (if Martinez doesn't get them relegated, mind)

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black there don't you think?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Guys look at the tackle again everyone it was not that bad. And sometimes defenders need to make a foul. Not every CB can be Rio and Rio got to play like Rio because Vidic was there to do the dirty work.

Shimo

On any normal day that Henderson tackle was nothing but, a yellow. Only reason a red comes into the picture is because of the thug Gerrard getting sent off and playing at Anfield. So yeah maybe he should have just taken the normal yellow versus going full blooded under the circumstances.

He does need to perhaps pick and choose when he goes in like a maniac but, then again I like that we have that in our squad at times where we have a no nonsense defender willing to put his body on the line for the cause.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Guys look at the tackle again everyone it was not that bad. And sometimes defenders need to make a foul. Not every CB can be Rio and Rio got to play like Rio because Vidic was there to do the dirty work.
People complaining about that tackle understand shit about football.

You see that exact same foul in every football game. Jones took one for the team with that necessary foul. Blind fecked it up and Jones fixed it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's mid table quality. Has great physical assets, but doesn't have the technique or brain to be a top level defender. Would probably be great at a club like Everton (if Martinez doesn't get them relegated, mind)

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black there don't you think?
He's has been a consistent starter (when fit) under three different managers, for one of the best teams in the country, since he was 19 years old. And is still only 23. He's clearly not "as average a defender as you'll get" in the PL.

He's obviously got some developing to do but he's a very talented young CB. Genuinely surprised at how many people are making such confident predictions about him never being good enough for United.

Classical Mechanic

Im not so sure about that. I think it was more than about winning that ball there and then. I think he had every intention of clattering Lallana, letting Liverpool know we werent going to be pushed around. Not that I think he wanted to hospitalise him or anything, but Im sure he wanted him to feel it. So I would say it was mildly malicious. And bless him for that.
Yeah, I think that Lallana is perceived as being a bit soft and flaky so he is a good player to erase with a challenge like that. Personally I think that Jones should have been booked for it as he was no where near winning the ball.

oncehorowitz

fecking love you guys! its obvious Phil has a man-crush for Juan (football ability wise of course... he was in awe of him by the end of the game (hugging/lifting him). So good to see that type of relation between our players.

Jones had a pretty good game as well imo. a fecking beast. keep it up Phil!
It's really hard to imagine that the pretty-looking guy in that picture can make such mad faces.

Sam

He's has been a consistent starter (when fit) under three different managers, for one of the best teams in the country, since he was 19 years old. And is still only 23. He's clearly not "as average a defender as you'll get" in the PL.

He's obviously got some developing to do but he's a very talented young CB. Genuinely surprised at how many people are making such confident predictions about him never being good enough for United.
He's never been a 'consistent starter' for us, under any manager. This season has been the closest to that, and even then you couldn't say with absolute certainty that he's first choice. From an outside perspective I'd say the Smalling/Rojo partnership has looked our best.

If he'd shown significant improvement in the 4 years he's already been here, then I'm sure there would be more confidence in him improving further and developing into a top player, but he hasn't. At best, he's improved marginally, at worst, he's actually regressed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The problem is he is your typical "English defender". He is a brave John Terry throw your head infront of a bus type, who while it looks great and brave is actually a bad way of defending. I much prefer Smalling's way of intercepting and winning the ball cleaner. Jones nearly gives himself an injury every match, and as pointed out could quite easily have seen red against Liverpool.

The header was just poorly timed, but sometimes you can't always win the ball. It was dangerous and he could have hurt Lallana badly. Timing of his tackles is something he really needs to improve on, but apart from that it was a really good performance.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The problem is he is your typical "English defender". He is a brave John Terry throw your head infront of a bus type, who while it looks great and brave is actually a bad way of defending. I much prefer Smalling's way of intercepting and winning the ball cleaner. Jones nearly gives himself an injury every match, and as pointed out could quite easily have seen red against Liverpool.

The header was just poorly timed, but sometimes you can't always win the ball. It was dangerous and he could have hurt Lallana badly. Timing of his tackles is something he really needs to improve on, but apart from that it was a really good performance.
Terry has won a lot of medals and collected a lot of accolades defending like that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Terry has won a lot of medals and collected a lot of accolades defending like that.
Terry was also twice the player Jones currently is.

Let's be honest he was lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday, and the amount of injuries he has given himself through stupid challenges is almost on 2 hands!.

I do love his enthusiasm though, he just needs to learn to be a bit more patient and realise not every tackle has to be won at whatever the cost. (especially if it's near the halfway line :lol:)

saivet

I think they were both bookable offences. Having got away with the first one, though, no harm getting his money's worth with number two!
Pretty much this. I've been quite surprised that so many people think his tackle on Henderson was worthy of a straight red though.

marlowe78

Check out my location to see what I think of his style. He is a good athlete and has a fairly good read on the game but he seems capable of making reckless plays like this once or twice a match. He either injures himself or puts himself in a bad spot to be booked.

I actually place him with Evans in the unpredictability level. The reason I rate him much higher than Evans nowadays is because he clearly doesn't shy away from opponents and is much more consistent.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's never been a 'consistent starter' for us, under any manager. This season has been the closest to that, and even then you couldn't say with absolute certainty that he's first choice. From an outside perspective I'd say the Smalling/Rojo partnership has looked our best.

If he'd shown significant improvement in the 4 years he's already been here, then I'm sure there would be more confidence in him improving further and developing into a top player, but he hasn't. At best, he's improved marginally, at worst, he's actually regressed.
Yes he has. The only thing stopping him playing more games has been his injury record. He's spent little or no time sat on the bench in his United career so far. When fit, he's been consistently picked by all of our last three United managers.

FromTheBench

Interesting that he has the higher number of interceptions in the league per game for a defender this season. And 2nd highest for any player.