Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

We need an rvn

Not that's it's the be all end all, but Phil Jones was WhoScored's highest rated defender last season.

He's a very good defender.

If he could stay fit he'd be at Smalling's level.
This is the problem though - I don't think we'll ever get to find this out as he is both injury prone and too often hits the self destruct button with regards to tackles that get him injured unnecessarily. He's been around too long now for me too think he just can't change that element of his game

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This is the problem though - I don't think we'll ever get to find this out as he is both injury prone and too often hits the self destruct button with regards to tackles that get him injured unnecessarily. He's been around too long now for me too think he just can't change that element of his game
It was ever thus for Smalling at the same age though, some young players bodies react differently when being thrust into professional football at 18 years of age when the growing process still isn't really done with. It can have longer effects than just those immediate years as well. Luckily we are in a position where he didn't have to get rushed back and we are being rightly cautious with him.

I don't see him starting in the week, we will probably see Blind there and then Jones back and ready for another physical test Vs. Wilfreid Bony.

Spock

It was good to see Jonesey put in a solid shift yesterday. I can't think of a single blunder or even bizarre facial expression. Did we ever learn what caused the nose bleed?

Jerch

Great performance, didn't put foot or head wrong. Fighted with Lukaku very well when needed. I hope he can stay injury free and we will se a defender i believe he can become.

And I must say i hate that we have that picture of him on the forum. Maybe it is funny to some people but i think it is stupid.

keener

I agree with Jerch, I'd like that pic removed... I quite like Jones and think he's a very suitable CB as a 2nd/3rd CB rotation in our potentially world class club. 18 months ago I was making the argument on the newbies forum that Phil could become world class himself but it was Mike that took that step!

FromTheBench

Saw a lot of criticism of Jones but apart from the penalty moment were he seemed to hesitate after it came off DDGs legs I thought him and Smalling looked good again
Haven't seen clearly but quite possible that even in the penalty moment Doumbia was encroaching. The whole team seemed behind him so rough to blame him.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I miss Blind. Jones is trash. Utter, utter, trash.

Roboc7

I miss Blind. Jones is trash. Utter, utter, trash.
Jones hasn't been great but to be fair blind hasn't been able to cope in away games like this when the opposition attack with intent, I think we should all be relieved he isn't playing.

justboy68

Saw a lot of criticism of Jones but apart from the penalty moment were he seemed to hesitate after it came off DDGs legs I thought him and Smalling looked good again
He had that other dodgy moment where he completely missed a header which almost let a striker through and then after being bailed out by Smalling immediately sold Valencia way short on a pass and almost gave it to their striker again. Along with falling asleep at the penalty he's not covered himself in glory. Our attacking play has been a much bigger concern though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That situation when Valencia was fouled in our half Jones messed it up twice in space of 20 seconds. First he creates dangerous situations for them out of nothing just because he is stupid and Valencia saves him and after that he messes up simple pass to Valencia but thanks to Valencia's pace again he got away with it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He played a lot better as the game went on. Musa had isolated him constantly but he managed almost every time, with very little reliance on Smalling too. Impressive signs.

Devil may care

He was slow to react on the penalty and had a couple of trademark brain farts in the first half, but was better in the second.

Roboc7

Much better in the second half, he doesn't offer blinds range of passing but he is much ore proactive defensively and he can actually cope defensively against pace.

prath92

Harsh to criticise him for the penalty incident. It was completely unexpected and it just happened that doumbia reacted first. Could have very easily gone the other way.

Manny

Grammar Police
Did OK I thought.

Still doing some stupid shit like passing the ball with his head to a marked teammate 5 yards away, when he has time to take control of the situation. His lack intelligence and composure stands out in this side.

Kakeru

Harsh to criticise him for the penalty incident. It was completely unexpected and it just happened that doumbia reacted first. Could have very easily gone the other way.
Erm... Do coaches ever teach players at elementary school level to try getting to the ball first after a penalty is kicked? That is a weak excuse for stopping in his tracks like he did. Anything can happen on a penalty as much as in normal gameplay.

Kag

Lots of quality, stand out individual defending, most notably the way he stood up to Musa in the second half, but there's just some stupid streak inside of him that doesn't seem to want to rid itself.

That mix up with Valencia in the first half could have very well lead to a goal. It's basic things, things he's more than capable of dealing with and completing without fuss.

He's got to concentrate and eliminate these brain farts because they will cost us against better sides.

ZDwyr

He was alright. Unfortunately he had two or three iffy moments that might overshadow everything else he did.

Dion

1. It wasn't that unexpected. De Gea was facing a penalty kick, not a firing squad.

2. Yeah it could have gone the other way, if Jones was better at football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How was it completely unexpected? It's a penalty, rebounds happen.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He had a decent game. Hope he keeps improving...

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I thought he was OK and improved as the game went on but there was a few nervy moments in the first half where he was caught out positionally and Valencia got him out of trouble. Will hopefully now know not to wander lazily to a follow up shot if the keeper saves.

InfiniteBoredom

He was out for nearly two months. A few iffy moments in a tough away game, which we didn't lose, and people are jumping on his back already? Some of our fans are so agenda driven it's pathetic.

Go watch Rio at 23 and see how he did week in week out. It's like young players aren't given a chance to mature anymore.

m1y2

play him , play him and play him, he will come good if he doesn't get injured. I feel actually quite comfortable when he plays and we don't have ball, more comfortable than having Blind there. The situation is inverse when we have ball but solid difference is basics.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was alright, but I think he will stay at this level, just doesn't seem to read the game well, like other top defenders do. Relies on his pace and physical advantage to bail himself out.

surf

He was out for nearly two months. A few iffy moments in a tough away game, which we didn't lose, and people are jumping on his back already? Some of our fans are so agenda driven it's pathetic.

Go watch Rio at 23 and see how he did week in week out. It's like young players aren't given a chance to mature anymore.
Not to derail the thread, but there is a lot of revisionism about what Rio was like at 23. Fact is he starred at the world cup finals and Fergie bought him for big money straight after instead of following up on Nesta. Jones is nowhere near that level so far.

InfiniteBoredom

Not to derail the thread, but there is a lot of revisionism about what Rio was like at 23. Fact is he starred at the world cup finals and Fergie bought him for big money straight after instead of following up on Nesta. Jones is nowhere near that level so far.
It's not revisionism. He was unquestionably the CB with highest potential in the world back then, and already a very good player, but he had his fair share of iffy performances especially after the ban, which lead to Keane calling him out in that infamous interview.

It's only when we bought Vidic and Evra, by which point he had a settled defence to play in, that he truly excelled and became the best CB in the world.

acnumber9

How was it completely unexpected? It's a penalty, rebounds happen.
The ball changed direction after the save. Doumbia got lucky. He needs a run of games. Smacking was the same and written off continually. Once he finally gets fit and plays a string of matches we see how good he is. Jones deserves the same chance if he can stay fit for a while.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
play him , play him and play him, he will come good if he doesn't get injured. I feel actually quite comfortable when he plays and we don't have ball, more comfortable than having Blind there. The situation is inverse when we have ball but solid difference is basics.
Comes down to "do you pick a CB for when you have the ball or when you don't" and it's a no-brainer. Jones is superior to Blind in most aspects and certainly deserves to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.