Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
He's going under the radar because Smalling's rise has been astronomical, but he's doing great.

Hope it was just a precautionary sub yesterday.

LvG seems to have his head screwed on about injuries, and 'red zones', so hopefully that helps Jones going forward.

jb8521

The Arsenal home sorry.

In that game he was all over the place. He recovered well to improvise regarding that particular incident after initially screwing dealing what was a very simple air ball to deal with. He mistimed his jump, panicked and then slipped and recovered. That's not even the only incident in that match where he panicked and almost screwed up. There was an incident I remember where a loose ball was chased by him followed by giroud and de gea was coming forward. Panicking, he kicked the ball which could have caught DDG off guard. Thankfully DDG's reflexes made him stretch his leg and the ball went out for a throw.

At anfield he didn't kick out Costa style but that mistimed tackle hit Henderson in the knee. That's reckless tbf mistimed or not. Which again was a result of him panicking after blind was dispossessed in our left flank.

That is his problem imo. Panicky. Unlike blind and Smalling who rarely panic under pressure. This is why Jones seem to have more of these accidents. But don't mistake me, I like defenders like him but he needs to be more calm. So does Rojo. Though as you said, he is young and LvG can coach it out of him if he stays fit.

PS- hope I didn't offend you or anything. Cheers
Yeah that's fair enough. No offence taken at all

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's going under the radar because Smalling's rise has been astronomical, but he's doing great.
Yup, I've never really rated him much at all but this season his defending has actually been pretty impressive.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So, nothing new in Jonah's world - he is injured again.

Van Gaal first said he is in the red zone - meaning he is tired, but he is injured after all considering the latest reports are that he is "back on training pitch".

So, basically, he was fit just for few games since start of the season and we will have people again telling us how he is not injured all the time and asking how he is not first choice ahead of Blind.

He is simply not reliable.

I think this season will be probably a proof that he is even less reliable than someone like Rafael who got so much criticism for his injuries unlike Jones.
Btw, I don't think either of them deserves criticism for being injured all the time, they are obviously both very good professionals, they are just unlucky. Maybe they'll come good later in their careers and overcome injuries, at least I hope so because both of them have potential to be top players, I just can't understand how someone like Rafael got so much hate(yes, hate, some people actually wish him to fail) because he wasn't reliable due to his injuries, yet someone like Jones escapes criticism while being pretty much the same.

I was a big Rafeal fan but let's be honest, his problem was not just injuries. Rafael was overrated by many after that one really good season he had. His final ball later on became crap since Moyes took over and even though it was a myth for the most part, he was a bit rash in some of his challenges.

EDIT: This might make it sound as I didn't like Rafael. Don't get me wrong, he was very talented and when on form could silence the best wingers in the game. However, I believe (and I'm sure many on here would agree with me) that Jones has the potential to be way better than Rafael. If he could overcome this injury nonsense he can be one of the worlds best - that is why people tend to give him more time.

SirAF

Ageist

Hope it was just a precautionary sub yesterday.

LvG seems to have his head screwed on about injuries, and 'red zones', so hopefully that helps Jones going forward.
Completely agree.

LvG said that Jones is likely to miss PSV due to a twisted ankle, but I'm interpreting that as he'll be back for Leicester. Apart from his blood cloth, which doesn't really count, he's been fit for a decent amount of time now, right?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Nice to see most comments are positive

It's a shame he is so injury prone, I think he can reach Smalling levels if he can get a run of games going.

Important the club stick with him and find a way to keep him fit

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Completely agree.

LvG said that Jones is likely to miss PSV due to a twisted ankle, but I'm interpreting that as he'll be back for Leicester. Apart from his blood cloth, which doesn't really count, he's been fit for a decent amount of time now, right?
Wut?

He is our just 17th most featured player this season in PL and 16th in CL, and after next game or two he will fall even more behind. Lingard has played just 25ish minutes less than him in PL, and is ahead of him in CL and he just "started" his season.

I have no idea how can anyone be happy with his fitness this year and say he is doing fine. Just after the blood cloth thing he played few games and apparently was tired after just few games which led to him missing few games again. He was back yesterday for first full game since that "tiredness" and didn't complete it because he injured himself, once again.

It will turn out that I hate Jones, but I really don't, I hope he can become great player for us and I agree that he has the potential, but I just can't understand how people have different standards on him in comparision with other players when it comes to injuries. I am not saying that we should sell him, I just can't stand people being ignorant when it comes to him.

How exactly starting just three games out of 13 is something that is considered decent for a player who was considered(still is) as our first choice when the season started, who is almost 24 and is here for years now?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I was a big Rafeal fan but let's be honest, his problem was not just injuries. Rafael was overrated by many after that one really good season he had. His final ball later on became crap since Moyes took over and even though it was a myth for the most part, he was a bit rash in some of his challenges.

EDIT: This might make it sound as I didn't like Rafael. Don't get me wrong, he was very talented and when on form could silence the best wingers in the game. However, I believe (and I'm sure many on here would agree with me) that Jones has the potential to be way better than Rafael. If he could overcome this injury nonsense he can be one of the worlds best - that is why people tend to give him more time.
I think that Jones has more potential too, but the difference is that Rafael actually showed that potential, for few periods his form was terrific(not just that year) and many thought of him as the best right fullback in league at times. Whether that was true or not it's not even important, the thing is that he was at least considered by many as one of the best in league(Fergie also said in his last season around January/Februarythat Rafael was one of our best players that year), Jones never managed that. I am not sure Jones ever played more than 3 or 4 games in a row at CB for us in his entire United career, so I really don't understand why he gets so much praise for nothing. People basically praise him just because he has the potential, not because he is showing that potential every week.

Edit: As for the being rash part, you can say all that about Jones too. Both of them are rash in their play, and both have the same problem of being caught out of position.

Last edited:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Exactly, the same people would have got rid of Smalling at 23 too but you can probably find them firmly up his ass now.
There's plenty here who have always rated Smalling, despite the doubters, and not Jones and I'm happy to say I'm one of them. I'm a fecking Chinaman if Phil Jones is Man United quality but even if he could be he's out of action far too often to warrant being kept. Season 12/13 - 25 games missed, 13/14 - 8 games, 14/15 - 15 games, 15/16 - 11 games to date. It's simply not sustainable to carry players like this especially if there are also lingering doubts about whether they're even good enough. Last chance saloon this season as far as I'm concerned and I've long predicted that he'll be gone by next season.

::sonny::

Good player, but always injured, useless like Woodgate, King, Rafael.

Let him continue his career away, in clubs like wba, everton, villa.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Phil is our very own Daniel Sturridge - sadly

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
would have been a mad sub in the 90th min if McNair wasn't injured, and we were losing!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Glad he's back.
Fingers and toes crossed he stays fit long enough to partner Smalling for a reasonable period. We're so, so much better when those two play together.

Minimalist

Such a nervy player. He looks constantly stressed and he seems to infect the entire backline. Passing isn't good enough either for a top side.

Tired of seeing this guy playing for United. The quality just isn't there whatsoever.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Still got lots of improving left in him, see Smaliing, but right now we are always going to have a weakness if he is first choice centre half.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's really stagnated, if we get a new manager in it could be make or break for his career at the club.

NoPace

Fine in individual work but somehow our line is a mess far more often when he is in at CB. Just seems to be more runners getting in behind. I'm not sure if it's chemistry with Smalling or positional cluelessness (my guess) but it's been a few years now.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He is what epitomizes the fact that Fergie was slowly losing it as well and retired at just the right time. He thought he might go on to become United's best ever player, reminded him of Duncan Edwards. Add that to the slew of workhorse crap he bought in his last five or so years and the time he afforded dead wood such as Cleverley...

His football wasn't getting any prettier either.

Rossa

He is what epitomizes the fact that Fergie was slowly losing it as well and retired at just the right time. He thought he might go on to become United's best ever player, reminded him of Duncan Edwards. Add that to the slew of workhorse crap he bought in his last five or so years and the time he afforded dead wood such as Cleverley...

His football wasn't getting any prettier either.
The fact is that Ferguson won his last season 11 points clear, and you are still talking bs.

ZDwyr

I thought Jones started the match well but that didn't last long. Probably some rustiness after being out for a long time. Still think he can turn into a very good CB. Bad game though.

Sam

He's the stupidest player I've ever seen in my life. He must have the same IQ as a potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.