Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He was very good today, especially in the second half.

Neither him nor Smalling can pass the ball though, which is very evident when compared to Blind's quality on the ball.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's been good since he's been back, good partnership with smalling developing too.

m1y2

Typical Jones performance, couple of shocking passes and other nervy moments when defendigng but brilliant second half. Stay conistent Phil ffs!

Devil may care

He has moments where his power and pace are great assets but he always feels like an error waiting to happen in his head.

Manny

Grammar Police
I've been critical of him but he was better today.

Still made some bad calls with regards to his passing and positioning.

worldinmotion66

Jones has played 3 games this season. He has won 72% of defensive duels, has a passing accuracy of 89%, performs an average of 9 defensive actions per game and has made 0 defensive errors.

That compares to Smalling, who has the consistency of playing 10 games, winning 53% of duels, 86% passing average, 9 defensive actions per game, and 0 defensive errors.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Jones has played 3 games this season. He has won 72% of defensive duels, has a passing accuracy of 89%, performs an average of 9 defensive actions per game and has made 0 defensive errors.

That compares to Smalling, who has the consistency of playing 10 games, winning 53% of duels, 86% passing average, 9 defensive actions per game, and 0 defensive errors.
Yeah but what are his stats in regards to looking like making an error, and scaring people. They are probably through the roof.

jem

Excellent today. He should be there to stay; I'd love to see this partnership develop (I thought Blind was fine, but I think he can be more useful for us at left back or even spelling one of our midfielders.)

Sam

He still does really stupid things. He needs to cut it out, and quickly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His second half performance was pretty strong. I sure hope he can stay fit for the whole season, a partnership of him and Smalling could see us end the season with the fewest goals conceded, I reckon.

jb8521

I don't really get how people still say that he's a liability or accident waiting to happen when the only goal he's been responsible for in the past year has been stepping up to play Berahino offside in the 2-2 last season and people still saying that he injures himself by going in for stupid challenges when none of his injuries in the past 2 years have been caused by him making a an unnecessary challenge. Lazy stereotypes used by people who prefer to see the negatives rather than the large number of positives he's shown in the past year. In yesterdays game he cleaned up a number of times when Smalling was caught out of position or got caught too far forward yet if it was the other way round people would be slating him. People say he cant pass yet he consistently has higher pass completion than most defenders in the league and people say he cant read the game yet he consistently has higher interception stats than most defenders along with having more clearances and duels won than most defenders. But yeah he must be shit because it looks as though something bad might happen despite the fact that it very rarely actually does happen. People really do see what they want when it comes to certain players and judge certain players on a different scale to others.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't really get how people still say that he's a liability or accident waiting to happen when the only goal he's been responsible for in the past year has been stepping up to play Berahino offside in the 2-2 last season and people still saying that he injures himself by going in for stupid challenges when none of his injuries in the past 2 years have been caused by him making a an unnecessary challenge. Lazy stereotypes used by people who prefer to see the negatives rather than the large number of positives he's shown in the past year. In yesterdays game he cleaned up a number of times when Smalling was caught out of position or got caught too far forward yet if it was the other way round people would be slating him. People say he cant pass yet he consistently has higher pass completion than most defenders in the league and people say he cant read the game yet he consistently has higher interception stats than most defenders along with having more clearances and duels won than most defenders. But yeah he must be shit because it looks as though something bad might happen despite the fact that it very rarely actually does happen. People really do see what they want when it comes to certain players and judge certain players on a different scale to others.
Spot on.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That moment in the second half when he came forward quickly to pinch the ball just before the City player could get it was brilliant, Rojo did something similar a couple of minutes before that and it is fantastic that even our defenders are now trying to win the ball high up the field

itso 7

His second half performance was pretty strong. I sure hope he can stay fit for the whole season, a partnership of him and Smalling could see us end the season with the fewest goals conceded, I reckon.
If Jones maintains his fitness he will have a breakout season, simple and straight forward. He and Smalling suffered immensely from having a GOAT defensive duo ahead of them which led them to being thrown around positionally but now they are showing their true mettle. It's just fitness that is holding Jones back now.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Had a solid game yesterday.

Still kinda feels like some people try to pit him and Smalling against each other as though we need to prefer 1 to the other and point out every little mistake made.

Just sit back and enjoy us beginning to build the foundations of a strong CB partnershp for the next ~7 years or so.

Dante

Average bang
Fantastic post. Utterly true.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Spot on.

I was particularly impressed by his covering of Valencia, Valencia (who I also felt had a very good game) was up the pitch with Mata and Lingard like a wingback and it was ultimately down to Jones which allowed us to use Valencia as another attacking outlet.

criticalanalysis

I think he's a decent to very good man-to-man defender but he has problems in those transitional plays, which are often due to his positioning/lack of concentration and I do think he has dodgy passing decision/intellect. There was one incident in the CSKA game where late in the game, Jones looked up very briefly and just chipped a loft ball into the direction of Fellani, when CSKA were already camped at the edge of their box, who were waiting for the counter and indeed it happened. 1) It was never going to be a good pass or even one that Fellani could have done anything with 2) he didn't realise the danger of that ball/position and Fellani had to track back and commit a tactical foul (I recall people were having a go at him in the match day thread), which he got booked for iirc.

Those are things he can improve on, just look at Smalling but that 'sense' of dread is definitely not bias. There are rational explanations like the reasons I've given to explain it but that might be over analysing a player, who can't get a decent run of consistent games so it's equally unfair. Once he has had that then we can judge him more fairly but my gut instinct is that he simply isn't good enough on the ball atm.

Feedingseagulls

Let's give this post some more love.

SirAF

Ageist
Spot fecking on. If Jones can keep fit then I'm convinced that he can become a top CB for us, the lad is only 23 ffs!

It might be a bit optimistic but I really think that Jones may have turned a corner this time. Just look at Smalling; he's been pretty much fit since last Christmas right? And Jones have been fit since the end of last season? Getting a blood cloth in your calf doesn't count as being injured.

Walters_19_MuFc

Super post.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
After being out for so long, it's probably for the best he didn't play three games in quick succession until he's fully up to speed. Smalling is already match fit.

I also don't think central defenders need to be rested in the same way that other positions do. They cover a lot less ground.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
What's this about "red zone" Gray was on about following gaal interview. I missed that part

Minimalist

He's a crock. He must be a terrible athlete to keep picking up these knocks, especially with his other rumoured talent of injurying others. Would suggest he lacks control over his own body.

Why's he fecking wrecked from playing two games?!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's not injured. He needs a rest because he's at a point where he's statistically more likely to get injured if he plays (the red zone thing). Basically LVG is carefully managing his fitness.

Minimalist

He's not injured. He needs a rest because he's at a point where he's statistically more likely to get injured if he plays (the red zone thing). Basically LVG is carefully managing his fitness.
Yeah, he's 'fatigued' after two games.

Think we can do better than that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, apparently he is in the red zone. What is he, 41?

Commentator was actually on point when he said he is in red zone during his whole career so far.

Not that we miss him that much be he is obviously still unreliable as always.

dileno

Hopefully it's only a matter of easing him in after his latest injury. Playing three games in a row on this level right after injury isn't that good for him.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is he out of the red zone yet.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
A player who had just returned from injury, and has had injury issues in the past gets rested after 2 back to back games and we're moaning? I'm not sure whether to take you guys seriously or not. You can never tell with the cafe these days.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, nothing new in Jonah's world - he is injured again.

Van Gaal first said he is in the red zone - meaning he is tired, but he is injured after all considering the latest reports are that he is "back on training pitch".

So, basically, he was fit just for few games since start of the season and we will have people again telling us how he is not injured all the time and asking how he is not first choice ahead of Blind.

He is simply not reliable.

I think this season will be probably a proof that he is even less reliable than someone like Rafael who got so much criticism for his injuries unlike Jones.
Btw, I don't think either of them deserves criticism for being injured all the time, they are obviously both very good professionals, they are just unlucky. Maybe they'll come good later in their careers and overcome injuries, at least I hope so because both of them have potential to be top players, I just can't understand how someone like Rafael got so much hate(yes, hate, some people actually wish him to fail) because he wasn't reliable due to his injuries, yet someone like Jones escapes criticism while being pretty much the same.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That's a real shame thought he played well in the games he featured in, i prefer him over Blind anyday. Might be wise to get rid as he just seems to get injury after injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.