Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Where did you hear that? I wouldn't be surprised to be honest. Jose has always had reliable CBs in his teams, in his tenure here he has always trusted Jones when fit, I wouldn't say Jones has repaid him accordingly.
The story is sourced from the Sun, but it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-furious-bust-up-12045651

Newcastle insiders say 'everyone could here the shouting' as boss lashed out after Red Devils' dismal defeat on Tyneside last week.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho was involved in furious bust up with star player Paul Pogba and Phil Jones after last week's dismal loss to Newcastle.

Toon insiders have revealed that the Portuguese launched a devastating attack on the two stars in the dressing after the 1-0 loss at St James's Park

Pogba then missed the routine 2-0 win over Huddersfield with illness - despite Mourinho saying he would play on Friday.

Jones also missed the game after he said he was unfit during the week.

And this follows a vicious tongue-lashing from the boss last Sunday where a Newcastle insider told The Sun : “Mourinho was furious — everybody could hear him shouting at Pogba and Jones.

“He obviously thinks they should do better but the pressure is getting to them.”

Last edited:

United never give up

Phil Jones is the most underrated player at our club

Far better and more proven than Bailly - and will still be at this club once Bailly leaves, this season has played in most of our PL games, and we have the best defensive record in the league

Will look even better once we sort out our Fullback's

The overrating of Bailly and underrating of Jones indicates why our club has fallen in previous seasons - theres been a lack of proper judgement from both the management as well as the fanbase

Djemba-Djemba

Every centre back at the club bar Smalling is injury prone. Lindelof seems ok actually, but it's too early to tell with him yet. Bailly and Rojo are constantly injured. Jones fitness record is a disaster, we'd be absolutely mental to give him a new contract.

If we are getting rid of a centre back in the Summer it has to be Jones.

United never give up

Fixed that for you.
Eric Bailly is the most overrated player at this football club (not a bad player, but nowhere near his lofty status on the Caf)

Infact, no fanbase on the planet overrates any of their players like the Caf overrates Bailly

Phil Jones has done far, far, far more in football than Eric Bailly so far.

Smores

Every centre back at the club bar Smalling is injury prone. Lindelof seems ok actually, but it's too early to tell with him yet. Bailly and Rojo are constantly injured. Jones fitness record is a disaster, we'd be absolutely mental to give him a new contract.

If we are getting rid of a centre back in the Summer it has to be Jones.
I really rate Jones but i do think we need to start getting a handle on the situation. I don't think we should be focusing on signing a CB but if Jose trusts our youth products enough id like to see them in the rotation and faze at least one of the injury prone lot out

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Eric Bailly is the most overrated player at this football club (not a bad player, but nowhere near his lofty status on the Caf)

Infact, no fanbase on the planet overrates any of their players like the Caf overrates Bailly

Why do you keep bolding? Its rather annoying

AP88

Supports
Man City
I always liked him best as a DM.

Fergie played him there occasionally and I liked it. He had two defenders behind him to cover his silly mindfart mistakes. And he generally likes to get his foot (and head) stuck in.

We've never had 2 CBs fit since Rio and Vidic left though, so we've never had the option to do it.
He was still chaotic there though; lacks positioning, his passing was rushed and substandard. Watch clips of him there and he looked like a powerful donkey, a spoiler. McTominay is levels above him in every department in that role already.

His best football in his first 2 seasons came at rightback, and it’s the only role I can see him sustaining moving forward for a club that wants to win anything. Valencia’s average now, while I think Jones’ developing maturity would allow him to be fairly consistent in the role.

I’m surprised Jose hasn’t tried him there already, seeing as he utilised Ivanovic as a tank at right back in his second spell at Chelsea - Jones could be equally destructive if given the chance.

Loublaze

ATLien

Jones has won more silverware thus far but Bailly is clearly the much, much better footballer. Bailly is fairly rated, he has world class potential.

Canagel

Rojo has missed 38 PL games through injury, Jones 37. They're both as bad as each other.
Rojo's record is skewed by the one big injury he had to his knee which was a unfortunate contact injury like Zlatan's one. Jones is actually injury prone and misses games more frequently. It's not comparable. Jones has been injury prone for over 5 years. I would still keep Rojo because I think he's the better defender and sell Jones.

Devil may care

He's on a journey of self discovery in the mountians of Tibet where he hopes to meet a sacred order of Monks who will help him discover which is his right foot and which is his left, he's going to Vlog the whole thing for the new United Youtube channel.

Bobski

Frustrating how his season and career is turning out. Just reading the CB thread in the transfer forum and the consensus seems to be it is time to move him on. Hard to argue given his injury record but he was having an excellent season until the Spurs game, one of our best players, but a mistake, then an injury and he is back to being perceived as liability. All his good work forgotten.

One issue where he deserves criticism is his ball playing. The frustrating part is how conservative he is, technically I think he has the ability to do much more, not something you could say about Smalling for instance. Jones is technically solid, but will almost always take the easy option and is the most willing to go back to De Gea of all our CB's. It is odd, there is a reason why Fergie and Capello used him in midfield in his youth, he did have the quality on the ball to do a decent job there, but has regressed badly.

el3mel

He has only played in league and he still got a mysterious injury for 2 months or so now. Very frustrating. We conserved him for the league as much as possible and it's in vain.

Loublaze

ATLien
What exact injury is he nursing? He's being linked with a move to Everton by the tabloids.

Last edited:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Left out of the matchday squad for City, despite Jose saying "everybody is fit"

Considering he had such a terrific start to the season, and was one of Jose's starting 11 favourites, I wonder if the stories of him falling out with the manager are true.

Considering he had such a terrific start to the season, and was one of Jose's starting 11 favourites, I wonder if the stories of him falling out with the manager are true.
I say let him go, he's been here since what 2011? And he hasn't really cemented his place in the team and is always injured.

Loublaze

ATLien

Newcastle fans claimed to have heard Jones and Mourinho going at it big time after our 1-0 loss there.

Alabaster Codify7

I would be wrapping the bugger in cotton-wool until May, because playing him means he'll get injured and will be at the club next season.

Don't even have him training, have his agent scouring for a new club and part ways with a thank you in the summer.

Djemba-Djemba

If the threadmarks are true we've only won 3 of the last 8 games Jones has played in.

He's nothing special when he does play and his injury record is atrocious.

If we can find a buyer in the Summer we should sell.

Z E N D E R

He hasn't played single CL game this season, just think about that. He is total liability.
He didn't play because in the CL group stages Jose preferred Smalling and Lindelöf, while Jones and Bailly played in PL until they both got injured. He may be a liability, but you don't base that off of his CL appearances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he could stay fit, then I’d rather keep him than Smalling. But he hasn’t been able to do that even with being protected and not played in midweek games.

Sell him, sign Aldeweireld.

Gopher Brown

I think he’s our best centre back, but he’s too unreliable to depend on. I fully expect he will go to someone like Everton and look amazing and then sign for Spurs or Man City the following year and look brilliant and somehow stay injury free for the next 10 years.

vangagal

I think he’s our best centre back, but he’s too unreliable to depend on. I fully expect he will go to someone like Everton and look amazing and then sign for Spurs or Man City the following year and look brilliant and somehow stay injury free for the next 10 years.
There's no way in hell he will stay fit for 2 months let alone a whole season. Some of you have delusional obsession with Jones needs to wake up. He is injury prone as hell. If he move on he will just stay as he is, maybe he get more game times but stay healthy with busy schedule top 6 teams? No chance.

Brophs

The One and Only
It may be as a result of my awful memory, but is there even one example of a player who was consistently injured during their formative years and mid 20s who then went on to have long periods where they remained fit and performed at the sort of level people are suggesting Jones has performed at, or is apparently capable of?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It may be as a result of my awful memory, but is there even one example of a player who was consistently injured during their formative years and mid 20s who then went on to have long periods where they remained fit and performed at the sort of level people are suggesting Jones has performed at, or is apparently capable of?
Wes Brown had a good run in his late 20s.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He didn't play because in the CL group stages Jose preferred Smalling and Lindelöf, while Jones and Bailly played in PL until they both got injured. He may be a liability, but you don't base that off of his CL appearances.
Of course you can rate player's quality and reliabality when he hasn't played single CL game all season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gerrard? Van Persie?

That would be exceptions that prove the rule, mind you. Much easier to find examples of sicknotes that remained sicknotes.

Z E N D E R

Of course you can rate player's quality and reliabality when he hasn't played single CL game all season.
I repeat again: Jose wasn't playing him in CL because he was injured (Jones was fit all Autumn), or because he wasn't good enough (Jones was starting in the PL which mostly has higher quality teams than the ones in our CL group). The competition in the groupstage didn't require him on the field, that's why your statment is wrong.

Had there been a need, he would've played.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revaulx

Evans?

Maybe not top class, but certainly too good for West Brom.

el3mel

He didn't play in CL because we have been trying to conserve him too much so that he doesn't get injured, and he still got injured for about 2 months now, playing only 21 games of the season.

I have had enough patience for him. Good defender when fit but this rarely happens. Will prefer to get another good defender who is available most of times.

If we're going to sell a defender he's my top choice.

Swift Football

He didn't play in CL because we have been trying to conserve him too much so that he doesn't get injured, and he still got injured for about 2 months now, playing only 21 games of the season.

I have had enough patience for him. Good defender when fit but this rarely happens. Will prefer to get another good defender who is available most of times.

If we're going to sell a defender he's my top choice.
I thought he was fit last month, just not selected. Was he really injured? After Rojo's contract extension, looks like he is as good as gone. That Tottenham game followed by Newcastle kind of finished him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.