Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyLuke10

He played well today but I'd still sell him in the offseason if we actually manage to get Umtiti or Aldeweireld to agree to sign for us. I'd keep Bailly, Rojo and Smalling ahead of him. Lindelof its still a little too early to judge.

Bobski

Why don't people rate him? I understand he is not Beckenbauer but I certainly haven't imagined his many top class performances.
Because he is always injured and the resentment from that causes every mistakes he makes to be more of a crisis. Familiarity breeds contempt with our CB's, people want shiny new toys, and to discard the old. Utd have played all the big teams recently and all these hyped CB's that people put above Jones and Smalling are much more human in person then in hype.

Andersons Dietician

Why don't people rate him? I understand he is not Beckenbauer but I certainly haven't imagined his many top class performances.
I don’t think it’s not that people don’t rate him. Personally I think he is a really talented player. He’s maybe not the greatest reader of a game and makes a lot of mistakes but his recovery is 2nd to none.
I think his biggest issue is that he just can’t stay fit long enough to put in the string of performances he needs to gain the trust of people like myself. With that being said it’s been how many seasons now people have been waiting for him to take ownership of the CB position. How long do we have to wait?

Icemav

Because he is always injured and the resentment from that causes every mistakes he makes to be more of a crisis. Familiarity breeds contempt with our CB's, people want shiny new toys, and to discard the old. Utd have played all the big teams recently and all these hyped CB's that people put above Jones and Smalling are much more human in person then in hype.
Good insight. Thanks.

Honestly though, can't understand those who want to sell him because of his injury record. Look how he has played when fit this season! We would be nuts to throw that away. Sure we can buy another defender but I would no way sacrifice Phil Jones to do so. Do we even need to sell a defender???

Hephaestus

Honestly, thought he was poor in the first half. Kane seemed to get loose a few times when he drifted over to his side. Much better in the second half.

Andersons Dietician

Honestly, thought he was poor in the first half. Kane seemed to get loose a few times when he drifted over to his side. Much better in the second half.
There was that one occasion where Kane looked like he had just performed a magic trick to get himself free in the box early on. That’s probably more just good forward play but he totally sold Jones with that run and check out.

Icemav

I don’t think it’s not that people don’t rate him. Personally I think he is a really talented player. He’s maybe not the greatest reader of a game and makes a lot of mistakes but his recovery is 2nd to none.
I think his biggest issue is that he just can’t stay fit long enough to put in the string of performances he needs to gain the trust of people like myself. With that being said it’s been how many seasons now people have been waiting for him to take ownership of the CB position. How long do we have to wait?
He may never, he is too injury prone. Stop expecting Beckenbauer and just appreciate him for what he is. A Manchester United player that steps up when he is called upon.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Man even the bitter twats on the BBC were praising him for some of his tackles in the first half. He didn't really have too much to do with their goal. There's no way he was 'poor' in the first half.

Andersons Dietician

He may never, he is too injury prone. Stop expecting Beckenbauer and just appreciate him for what he is. A Manchester United player that steps up when he is called upon.
Nobody expects Beckenbauer. People expect Phil Jones, who like I said is a talented guy who maybe just doesn’t have the intelligence to match his physical ability. He is a decent squad player but that is 4 managers now that have kept faith waiting for him to take the CB position. How long do people keep giving him those chances or is it time to recognise he is never going to be the one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Him and Smalling had very good game. Kane was barely in the game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Always wonder how good he would be if the injuries didn't happen. Capable of proper world class performances

Hephaestus

There was that one occasion where Kane looked like he had just performed a magic trick to get himself free in the box early on. That’s probably more just good forward play but he totally sold Jones with that run and check out.
That was one of them, think there was another time where Jones lost someone on the edge of the box (might not have been Kane). Don't think the Kane one was just Kane being great either, a centre-back shouldn't be left for dust like that.
Man even the bitter twats on the BBC were praising him for some of his tackles in the first half. He didn't really have too much to do with their goal. There's no way he was 'poor' in the first half.
I mean, that was just cos he put in a couple of crunching tackles. They'll praise anyone who shows "pashun". Second half he was great as I said.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
That was one of them, think there was another time where Jones lost someone on the edge of the box (might not have been Kane). Don't think the Kane one was just Kane being great either, a centre-back shouldn't be left for dust like that.

I mean, that was just cos he put in a couple of crunching tackles. They'll praise anyone who shows "pashun". Second half he was great as I said.
Really think that's kind of harsh mate, but fair enough!

AndersB

I think it would be mental to sell Jones right now. On average he performs extremely well for us when fit. The latter being the problem, I know. But at the very least he'll be a good squad player, who most certainly plays for the shirt. He's surprisingly good at reading play and getting in front of his player too, just crushes Lindelöf in that department. Look at the Bournemouth game; it happened so many times.

Reactions: Penna

Icemav

Nobody expects Beckenbauer. People expect Phil Jones, who like I said is a talented guy who maybe just doesn’t have the intelligence to match his physical ability. He is a decent squad player but that is 4 managers now that have kept faith waiting for him to take the CB position. How long do people keep giving him those chances or is it time to recognise he is never going to be the one.
When has that been said? I doubt with injury record anybody expects that. When he is fit he often plays and that tells you enough.

Icemav

When has what been said? I feel like I’ve touched a nerve here.
Come on mate we'll survive this ;-)

I just don't understand where you are getting this narrative from. He is injury prone and that is well known inside the club. Managers play him when he is fit because they sometimes think he is the best option..... that seems to be the extent of it.

Silas

He and Smalling were very good today.

Regarding selling him, the whole point in squad players is that they're available when the usual starters aren't. Being reliable fitness-wise is a crucial part of that. He isn't.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I just don't understand where you are getting this narrative from. He is injury prone and that is well known inside the club. Managers play him when he is fit because they sometimes think he is the best option..... that seems to be the extent of it.
It isn't a narrative, it's just what the club expects of almost every player. I don't think anyone inside the club would write off such a young player like Jones and treat him like a b-player. He probably would be sold already if that was the case. Now however you could make a case for keeping him based on his slight improvement in the last 2 years, but he is also older and injury prone. Wouldn't we be better off with someone as good or better that is more reliable?

Andersons Dietician

Now I’m confused. My point is with him being injured so much at what point do we cut our losses and give someone like Fosu or Tuanzebe his spot as back up. It feels like he holds a position hostage because of what he could be when not injured. So at what point do we say enough is enough he’s never going to pull himself together and we replace his role within the squad.

Icemav

Now I’m confused. My point is with him being injured so much at what point do we cut our losses and give someone like Fosu or Tuanzebe his spot as back up. It feels like he holds a position hostage because of what he could be when not injured. So at what point do we say enough is enough he’s never going to pull himself together and we replace his role within the squad.
I understand your point I just don't agree with your line of thinking. If we find a better defender who is rarely injured he will replace Jones in the first team. Its as simple as that. As things stands players that will be moved on before him are Blind and Rojo.... but we don't ultimately need to sell any of our CDs.

Irrational.

He's a leader at the back, constantly cajoling his team mates and letting them know their duties.

My only issue is his lack of match fitness due to his injury record, which inevitably leads to a brain fart every now and then.

Icemav

It isn't a narrative, it's just what the club expects of almost every player. I don't think anyone inside the club would write off such a young player like Jones and treat him like a b-player. He probably would be sold already if that was the case. Now however you could make a case for keeping him based on his slight improvement in the last 2 years, but he is also older and injury prone. Wouldn't we be better off with someone as good or better that is more reliable?
Hypothetically yes, but Jones' head isn't on the chopping block. Rojo gets injured, Bailly gets injured, Lindelof is developing, Blind is well down the pecking order.

If someone takes Jones' spot then good for them. I am sure the club will continue to make CD acquisitions.

SATA

Said it before, he should be one of England's first choice starting centrebacks in Russia for the WC. I'm glad Gareth Southgate won't see it though

Walters_19_MuFc

As I said, our best defender when fit, in my opinion.

Jose really admires him, and today he showed why. To put him into such a big match, having not long came back from an injury and perform to the level he performed at is brilliant.

His passion at the end too, where he was pushing Smalling was great to watch.

Love the guy!

Mr Smith

I feel justified in defending him earlier in the season. If only he could stay fit he'd be our best defender.

lsd

The Oracle
Loved him berating Smalling for trying to pick Kane up .

Status
Not open for further replies.