Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redpatron

I cannot believe that after 7 and a half years of this shit we still have people thinking "oh if he can just stay fit and strong".

It's never going to happen. Why do people still fall for this every time he has a decent game?
don't worry he will sign a contract extension and people will fall for it the next 7 years.

and i don't believe in the hype, this was the young boys. You could of put carrick and mckenna back there and the result was going to be the same. This was a pub team, he was hardly going to get tested.

Mickson

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are United's best centre backs. Jones was very good yesterday, and miles better than Lindelof is most of the time. Too bad he can't stay injury free but let's hope this time...

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I cannot believe that after 7 and a half years of this shit we still have people thinking "oh if he can just stay fit and strong".

It's never going to happen. Why do people still fall for this every time he has a decent game?
Yeah the hope is the killer. I was pleased last night to see a less erratic Jones than I remember last night. He stayed on his feet to make that good challenge and late on corralled their striker into a blind alley rather than leaping in and giving up a pen.

I appreciate even talking in those terms ('at least he didn't completely feck it up') about a senior centre back tells it's own story, but for now with the injuries/uncertainties we've got I'll happily take last night's Jones as a stopgap.

red4ever 79

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are United's best centre backs. Jones was very good yesterday, and miles better than Lindelof is most of the time. Too bad he can't stay injury free but let's hope this time...
Lol Star Wars thought the same with a new hope.

Johan07

Yep, he was good yesterday, especially after not playing for that long. Impressive.
I hope he will have some luck with his career from now on as well. Tbf, his injury record has been excessive, but he does not seem to have any type of chronic injury problems. Does not seem to have a recurring back or knee problem for example. Which at 26 would have been a real issue.
So with some luck and a decent run in the team we might have a really good player back.

Foxbatt

One time he got inured because Smalling kicked him during an England training session. LOL
Yes he is always brave and never gives up. I think his problem is his occasional diving in. He is physically much stronger than Lindelof and also has pace too. He is not scared to put himself about and do not worry about injuring himself. Maybe that is why he gets injured so often.

-Supreme-

He coped well with the equivalent of a chanpionship side. The problem is when we play Chelsea or Spurs and he becomes a liability.
Exactly! No doubt he will put in a few average performances and some bad ones then gets injured again.

We need to let him go this summer and move on.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yep, he was good yesterday, especially after not playing for that long. Impressive.
I hope he will have some luck with his career from now on as well. Tbf, his injury record has been excessive, but he does not seem to have any type of chronic injury problems. Does not seem to have a recurring back or knee problem for example. Which at 26 would have been a real issue.
So with some luck and a decent run in the team we might have a really good player back.
Look, I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but I am truly puzzled how anyone can see a “really good player” in this guy. How many disastrous games will it take before everyone realizes that Phil is just no use?

Johan07

Look, I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but I am truly puzzled how anyone can see a “really good player” in this guy. How many disastrous games will it take before everyone realizes that Phil is just no use?
Sir Alex did.

SteveW

Because he's clearly a very talented defender. All of the top 4 wanted him. SAF thought he was another Duncan Edwards and Capello had him playing midfield for England. Even over the last few seasons he's had nice runs of form when not being plagued by injuries. If he'd stayed fit over the past few years it's not unthinkable to suggest he'd be an excellent player. Sadly it hasn't turned out that way.

SteveW

Played well last night. Still think he's better than Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof. He'll never be fit often enough though so can't see him being around United much longer.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Because he's clearly a very talented defender. All of the top 4 wanted him. SAF thought he was another Duncan Edwards and Capello had him playing midfield for England. Even over the last few seasons he's had nice runs of form when not being plagued by injuries. If he'd stayed fit over the past few years it's not unthinkable to suggest he'd be an excellent player. Sadly it hasn't turned out that way.
Regardless of what he might have been, he is now a liability against any decent attack.

Raw

It was the exact same with Anderson.

Foxbatt

It was the exact same with Anderson.
Anderson was very good during his early years. He never was a player who had a good game very occasionally. Suddenly he went downhill.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Sir Alex was a manager and not a physician so he couldnt see that Jones' body is not fit for the top level of football.

Its only going to get worse as he gets older as well.

Raw

Anderson was very good during his early years. He never was a player who had a good game very occasionally. Suddenly he went downhill.
Yeah I was mainly comparing the whole "when he's fit he'll be great for us" thing. Anderson was pretty damn good but his later years at United were extremely frustrating. He'd have a pretty good start to the season, get injured, struggle to get back in the team and the process repeats itself.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You'd think we signed him yesterday the way people go on about him.
He should not be at this club.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can't blame some of you praising him, wouldn't be surprised people generally forget that he is still here.

I tend to ignore that the likes of him and Rojo are on the payroll, it's actually difficult to argue that they bring anything throughout the season to our club.

Also, I am surprised that Jones is returning during the busier period of the season, he is generally back during our most easiest set of fixtures which make him look far better than he is(see last few years).

Southampton 2:2 Man Utd

Stadjer

Phil Jones the only fit CB... you dont expect that to happen... Had a okay game with Matic and McT near him but i still hope a better and more reliable players will be signed.

Bobski

He was fine, though there was a moment late on when his hand went to his left thigh, expecting another injury.

Irwin99

2nd decent game in a row. A good game against Arsenal without injury or a mistake and that could be a career best.

Devil may care

I thought he did well considering he was partnered with not one but 2 CM's in a back 3 system we rarely use.

He played fairly well yesterday but we all know its just a matter of time until he gets injured or has an absolute howler.

Irwin99

2nd decent game in a row. A good game against Arsenal without injury or a mistake and that could be a career best.
Aaaand there we have it.

He played fairly well yesterday but we all know its just a matter of time until he gets injured or has an absolute howler.
If the reports are true then there’s a part of me that feels guninely sorry for the guy but the club just needs to move on at this point. He simply can’t stay fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.