Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why? Bailly has been atrocious so far this season, and Jones was comfortably better than him last season as well.

I want Jones sold (and have for a couple of seasons), but the reality is that based on performances he deserves the spot ahead of his competitors at the moment.
His 2 last games were Spurs and Derby. In which he was worst player on the pitch.

Djemba-Djemba

His 2 last games were Spurs and Derby. In which he was worst player on the pitch.
He cost us the FA Cup final, played against Belgium twice in the world cup and was shite in both including making a mistake in the 3rd place playoff that allowed Hazard to score, he was the worst player on the pitch against Spurs and was at fault for a goal and then he was dogshit against Derby in the cup and missed the deciding penalty.

Even by his own low low standards his last 5 or 6 competitive games have been comically bad.

red4ever 79

Should be nowhere near the first team squad. By far our worst CB, has a mistake and an injury in him every game. Average CB who would even get anywhere near any of the top half clubs in the league.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
With Lindelof and Rojo injured he will get a chance. I bet that he will be injured after two games

Bobski

Should be nowhere near the first team squad. By far our worst CB, has a mistake and an injury in him every game. Average CB who would even get anywhere near any of the top half clubs in the league.
But just 6 months ago was at a WC as one of the 4 best English CB's.

Injuries have killed Jones, not lack of ability. I wish we could stay away from these hyperbolic statements we make about our players, there was someone in the Smalling thread wondering if he would get in the Bournemouth team. Steven Cook and Nathan Ake are their CB pairing for those who do not know.

el3mel

But just 6 months ago was at a WC as one of the 4 best English CB's.

Injuries have killed Jones, not lack of ability. I wish we could stay away from these hyperbolic statements we make about our players, there was someone in the Smalling thread wondering if he would get in the Bournemouth team. Steven Cook and Nathan Ake are their CB pairing for those who do not know.
And played one game in WC and fecked it up, I'm not sure about your point.

Our worst defender by a long margin. Mind baffling how he stayed for 8 years here.

red4ever 79

Our worst defender by a long margin. Mind baffling how he stayed for 8 years here.
100%. Was just thinking that was an old post of mine that was quoted, however not that it matters. Hasnt played, not likely to play again. That being said we will probably offer him a new 5 year deal on 150k p/w

Bobski

That he is nowhere near as bad as people make out, and the wider football world don't rate him as poorly as we do.

Bobski

100%. Was just thinking that was an old post of mine that was quoted, however not that it matters. Hasnt played, not likely to play again. That being said we will probably offer him a new 5 year deal on 150k p/w
Apologies, hadn't realized it was an older post.

Red14Devil9

Phil Jones should be sold. He showed some promise at the beginning, but became way to average with time. I think we can get a lot better defender than him.

Bobski

No problem at all. I agree injuried have blighted his career, however he has a mistake in him every game. Not good enough for Utd and needs to be released.
I agree he needs to be moved on, for his own sake if nothing else. Needs a fresh start, i will admit to having a certain sympathy for players so injury prone, they so rarely get a chance to show their best. Either recovering from an injury, carrying something, or on the verge of another long spell out.

If he goes somewhere else, manages to stay fit for a couple of years he might surprise a few with how good he can be. Especially at a lower level with far less pressure on and where minor errors are not analyzed so acutely. Just waiting for when Maguire gets his big move and the penny drops over his actual defending.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

He'll get a contract extension soon. You can put money on that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can I just remind everyone that with Jones n Smalling playing most games for the last 3 years we've had the best or second best defence in the division.

This year everyone's new favourite player, Lindelof, has come in and we've kept 2 clean sheets in 13 games. I'm sorry boys but he's the biggest change to our defence this season and we now look like we can't defend at all. Is it a coincidence? I don't think it is. I also think his recent upturn in form has been widely overblown. He's been better because quite frankly he was appalling before that.

None of them are top drawer though. I still think Bailly is the best of the bunch and then Smalling. Smalling is poor on the ball but defensively he's not as bad as some say he is.

Johan07

Can I just remind everyone that with Jones n Smalling playing most games for the last 3 years we've had the best or second best defence in the division.

This year everyone's new favourite player, Lindelof, has come in and we've kept 2 clean sheets in 13 games. I'm sorry boys but he's the biggest change to our defence this season and we now look like we can't defend at all. Is it a coincidence? I don't think it is. I also think his recent upturn in form has been widely overblown. He's been better because quite frankly he was appalling before that.

None of them are top drawer though. I still think Bailly is the best of the bunch and then Smalling. Smalling is poor on the ball but defensively he's not as bad as some say he is.
Yeah, the hyperbole is ridicilous tbh as someone pointed out above. Truth is that we have 5 competitive CBs, where none except maybe Smalling sticks out and he does so because of the fact that he fits the Mourinho system perfectly. Otherwise all of Rojo, Jones, Bailly and Lindelöf has had both ups and downs in their United careers. Then you could argue that the general level should be higher, but saying that Jones is so much worse than the other is just that: Hyperbole.
He will start tomorrow btw I guess. Hope he does well!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In the last three seasons for united in the premier league:
Jones appearances last year: 23
Appearances in 2016/2017: 18
Appearances in 2015/2016: 10.
Smalling has played a lot of matches in the league in the last three years (not including 2016/2017) Jones though? Not really.
Saying that Jones has played a major part in the supposed second best defence in the last three years is hyperbole, a quick google shows that.

OhGee

Any bets that he gets injured today when he starts against Young Boys....

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Like he fecking headed it back in February at Wembley when spurs scored in the 12th second?

He is better than Lindelof, and was alright tonight actually, but feck me expect him to injure himself at any moment.
More along the lines of like Lindelof is incapable of doing

Djemba-Djemba

This is his first game in about 7 or 8 where he hasn't massively fecked up and cost us a goal or the game.

He's terrible.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Great to have a defender back in the team. He played well for his first game back tonight. He’s far better than Lindelof but he needs to stay fit. Which let’s face it, is unlikely.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Good job! Not much else to say as we know it will not be long until he lets us down again in one way or another

Andersons Dietician

He was alright tonight, looked more assured than Lindelof or Bailly but still at times he goes for a wonder and leaves us open.

Irwin99

We didn't expect much to be fair :lol:
I think there were a few moments when he went in for a challenge where you just thought 'he's gonna get up and hobble about any moment....now'. Good performance but we've seen this cycle too often for me to get my hopes up.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Never plays a bad game as defender. Never plays more than 3 consecutive games. There are few things that are certainty’s in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.