Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

Pathetic penalty from a genuinely pathetic player. I hadn’t forgiven him for the the Fa Cup Final and now this.

Alabaster Codify7

When you go 8 pens tit from fecking tat against an average championship side,i find it hard to blame the cartorse CB for stepping up and missing.

I blame our club for not selling this midtable bloke 2-3yrs ago. He'll still be here next season. no fecker wants him some of our fans will claim a new manager might unlock the new Duncan Edwards.....

Shambolic club. top,middle and bottom

Alabaster Codify7

City or Chelsea would've sold him after 2yrs. Liverpool didn't have a midlevel CB for love nor money til Virgil.....theyd have given him a bit.longer

Chairman Steve

He just hasn’t progressed since Sir Alex retired. When he retired I swear a handful of our players at the time just never looked the same again, and he is one of them.

Sir Alex had the ability to make a 6/10 player give 9/10 performances every once in a while and a few 8/10s too.

Jones is that to me.

dove

Leave the guy alone man. He has had very good performances for us but his injuries have robbed him of a consistent place in the side. When the team as a whole are terrible, you cannot single out an individual.
Oh and thank feck for that... Imagine him being our main CB :lol:

-Supreme-

When you go 8 pens tit from fecking tat against an average championship side,i find it hard to blame the cartorse CB for stepping up and missing.

I blame our club for not selling this midtable bloke 2-3yrs ago. He'll still be here next season. no fecker wants him some of our fans will claim a new manager might unlock the new Duncan Edwards.....

His contract runs out next summer, I would be very worried if his contract gets renewed and no doubt a decision will be made by Woody as I just can't see Jose wants to keep him.

We seriously need a proper sporting director as a lot of our problems go much deeper than this

AndyJ1985

The plank will be having a testimonial in a few years. Why do we allow dross like him to get a free ride here? Feels like we're a fecking charity at times.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He just hasn’t progressed since Sir Alex retired. When he retired I swear a handful of our players at the time just never looked the same again, and he is one of them.

Sir Alex had the ability to make a 6/10 player give 9/10 performances every once in a while and a few 8/10s too.

Jones is that to me.
SAF retired a long time ago now, how is Jones still at the club ? Why do we loan promising young players and keep him ?

Sylar

At the end of the season, he will be 2 years away from a testimonial right? :lol:

AndyJ1985

At the end of the season, he will be 2 years away from a testimonial right? :lol:
Yes. Was the same with Anderson too. We're a soft touch. Most other clubs would bin these losers off within a few years. But not us, we love accumulating deadwood.

Sylar

Yes. Was the same with Anderson too. We're a soft touch. Most other clubs would bin these losers off within a few years. But not us, we love accumulating deadwood.
Wondering if its the wages we pay meaning its an issue to shift them. That coupled with being soft as you say.

Chairman Steve

SAF retired a long time ago now, how is Jones still at the club ? Why do we loan promising young players and keep him ?
Your guess is as good as mine probably.

I’d guess that prospective buyers baulk at meeting his wages demands, and realise he’s got an injury history while we keep changing managers who keep giving him chances to impress.

The Real Treble 99

Absolute garbage. Please get rid of him least it’ll give some young hungry player a chance. He’s been a calamity for years & at times affecting the outcome of some important matches.

kundalini

I think Phil Jones is a decent defender (rubbish in possession) who performed reasonably well for most of last season (2 goals conceded in our first 8 PL games with Jones and Bailly together) but since his awful display at Spurs last season, he has been short of confidence, leading to errors for United in the FA Cup final and for England in the summer. Overall we conceded 11 goals in 23 PL matches when Jones was on the pitch (more like 22 games since he went off early against Huddersfield away). The previous season it was 14 goals conceded in 18 PL matches with Jones on the pitch.

This season he has played twice, performing poorly in both games.

I'd let this season play out before making a decision. There's clearly an opening for any central defender at the club who can get their act together.

Last edited:

Negan

It just had to be him, didn’t it?

And yet there’s people out there that are convinced he’s a good footballer. Baffling.

Irwin99

I think Phil Jones is a decent defender (rubbish in possession) who performed reasonably well for most of last season (2 goals conceded in our first 8 PL games with Jones and Bailly together) but since his awful display at Spurs last season, he has been short of confidence, leading to errors for United in the FA Cup final and for England in the summer. Overall we conceded 11 goals in 23 PL matches when Jones was on the pitch (more like 22 games since he went off early against Huddersfield away). The previous season it was 14 goals conceded in 18 PL matches with Jones on the pitch.

This season he has played twice, performing poorly in both games.

I'd let this season play out before making a decision. There's clearly an opening for any central defender at the club who can get their act together.[/QUOTE]
It's just one too many chances at this point. This is 8 years of injuries, bad form mixed with a few decent games here and there before another injury occurs (repeat the cycle). This is kind of how I imagined Arsenal fans were with some of their players over the years (Walcot, Diaby etc). At what point do you say that it would be best for the players career and the club to part ways and that it just hasn't worked? I feel sorry for him that injuries have robbed him of a promising career but apart from his first two seasons I genuinely can't remember a sustained period of 10+ matches where he's looked like the real deal.

Djemba-Djemba

He's an utter fecking donkey and it's a disgrace he's managed to steal a wage here for going on 8 years.

I was at the game tonight and I swear when it was clear Jones was taking the next pen everyone around me stood up and started putting their coats on ready to leave. It was that obvious he'd miss.

I am sick to death of watching this dope cost us matches. Whoever is manager past this season, had to fecking has to get rid.

Charlie Foley

I was fecked off with his performance tonight long before the penalty.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Glad everyone is finally realising Jones genuine level. Been banging on about him for a good 2 years now. :lol:

Don't blame him for the penalty, shit happens. I do blame him for disappearing at the Romero red card (he does this way too often). He's just a very average player that guarantees at least one bad error a game. You can forgive a young player for that, but Jones is 27. Should have been sold years ago.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Between the injuries, the blunders, the misses and the faces, they could make a biopic out of Phil Jones' career. And that would most likely be the first comedy biopic.

Loublaze

ATLien
I knew this fecker would miss. I didn't even care at the point I came to terms with it all

Ekeke

He missed a penalty. CBs arent usually taking those. Its not a requirement for being a good one. Pogba missed a penalty a few weeks ago it doesnt mean he doesnt have ability.

Not to say that Jones played well but like normal its blown out of all proportion.

luke511

He missed a penalty. CBs arent usually taking those. Its not a requirement for being a good one. Pogba missed a penalty a few weeks ago it doesnt mean he doesnt have ability.

Not to say that Jones played well but like normal its blown out of all proportion.
To make it as a Premier League footballer, never mind a utd player, you should be incredible of every aspect of the sport, but excel even more at a certain position. Being a CB is no excuse really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I knew he would miss but why are people tearing into him? He's a central defender FFS. The problem wasn't a CB who has barely played this season missing a penalty in extra time. That we depended on him to get us through is the real issue here.

ash_86

Worlds most profitable club paying wages to a player that'd hardly make bench for a team battling relegation for past 7 years? It's become a joke really.

Ekeke

To make it as a Premier League footballer, never mind a utd player, you should be incredible of every aspect of the sport, but excel even more at a certain position. Being a CB is no excuse really.
Complete and utter nonsense.

Fracture90

CB gets all the blame for missing a penalty in a cup game against a tier 2 opposition that has outplayed us completely.

I believe it's time we part ways.

MoskvaRed

He needs to move on at the end of the season when his contract is up. An honest trier but he’s not good enough for United and has become a punchline (and a punchbag).

Is contract ends June 2019 - think he'll probably leave on a free if we don't sell him in Jan

grahamo

Phil Jones. He runs around clueless like one of the keystone cops. When is somebody at the club going to get rid of the sub standard players? I can't take any more. I now know how most Liverpool fans have felt for the last 25 years

Status
Not open for further replies.