Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because sometimes when things aren't working out for whatever reason, players look for a change. Not just players, people do too. See Jesse and Smalling for example and they were actually playing.

Even when he is fit, he doesn't automatically start. He plays in some FA cup or League cup stuff and gets out injured right away.
He can’t play for a different club if he can’t play for United. Who do you think would sign an injured player?

RedDevilzFox

How do you propose he makes a change whilst injured? He won’t pass a medical for a start, never mind convince another team to pay a fee for him while he can’t play.
Its comments like these that make me believe this site should also regularly revisit the "full member" status members and see if they should still have the status.

Of course no one realistically thinks he can be transferred while injured. Once in a while he is also NOT injured in case you missed it. If he really wanted a move, I am sure something could have been worked out, that may include not risking him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He can’t play for a different club if he can’t play for United. Who do you think would sign an injured player?
That's true. But last season, were his very limited outings only due to injury? He's not really fancied by Ole. Tunazebe was already ahead of him in the pecking order at the start of 2019-2020, leaving him 5th choice.

It's not like he'll physically get over his injury proneness by moving, but he may well enjoy a change of scenery a la Lingard.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its comments like these that make me believe this site should also regularly revisit the "full member" status members and see if they should still have the status.

Of course no one realistically thinks he can be transferred while injured. Once in a while he is also NOT injured in case you missed it. If he really wanted a move, I am sure something could have been worked out, that may include not risking him.
And it’s contributions like yours that makes me think we need to re-visit the newbie fast-tracking policy.

Phil Jones obviously thought he had a future at United. He has consistently got games when available. He averaged 20 league games in 17/18 and 18/19 (Bailly made 12 and 13 appearances during those same two seasons)

It’s all gone to shit under Ole but that’s because he’s been literally constantly injured. Funnily enough, long term injured players aren’t in great demand at other clubs. If/when he can finally get fit and Ole lets him know he’s not wanted then he can move on. Meanwhile we’re stuck with him and he’s stuck with us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's true. But last season, were his very limited outings only due to injury? He's not really fancied by Ole. Tunazebe was already ahead of him in the pecking order at the start of 2019-2020, leaving him 5th choice.

It's not like he'll physically get over his injury proneness by moving, but he may well enjoy a change of scenery a la Lingard.
He won’t get over his inury proneness by moving but he won’t move until he gets over his injury.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The answer to the 2 year old question remains the same. Phil Jones doesn't have a future.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fairly sure he will be here next season as it is very unlikely that any team will take a chance on him after his injury struggles of the last 2 years. Our best hope is that next year he gets some game time to prove his fitness and then maybe the January window we might see some interest from a club in the bottom third of the table who need an experienced defender to bolster their relegation fight. For all of the disrespect he gets here he is still better than a lot of other PL defenders when he is fit, not the level we need but certainly not incompetent.
I agree with this. He was a good player and if he gets fit another PL club will probably pick him up in January.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He won’t get over his inury proneness by moving but he won’t move until he gets over his injury.
I don't disagree. Which is why there is no way I'd risk him against Wolves or in a pre-season game. I'd do everything to keep him fit and see if he can leave on a free transfer with us subsidising some of his wages for the next couple of years. There is no point to having him here. Injured or not, he's not the level we require in the slightest.

Bwuk

As soon as he leaves us he’ll stay fit and play every week for whoever he signs for.

DE LIGT

As soon as he leaves us he’ll stay fit and play every week for whoever he signs for.
Can already see that + Him scoring a bullet header with Swansea against us to knock us out the FA Cup is hiding under my bed.

RUCK4444

He’s a disgrace to be honest, can’t wait for him to finally leave, at this point he’s been a bigger waste of money than flops like Sanchez.

rimzy

He’s a disgrace to be honest, can’t wait for him to finally leave, at this point he’s been a bigger waste of money than flops like Sanchez.
Calling him a disgrace is a bit harsh. I expect he feels some embarrassment to the way his Utd career has gone.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Give your head a wobble. How you can conflate his commitment on the field with his injury troubles off it and decide if makes him a “disgrace” I’ll never know. He’s a human being who I have absolutely zero doubt it’s destroying him having his career written off like this. He’s nearly 30 and will know doubt know the best years of his career will have passed him by.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He played 26 league games when we won the title in 2010/11. 17 games when we won in 2012/13. His career since then has been grim (which, if we’re honest, we can say about most of his peers) but he was a good/important player when we were last a good/important team. Which puts him in a completely different league to the likes of Sanchez.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope he can comeback. I think for us it is maybe best to say goodbye once he can play again.

Although for a team like Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton he could still be very good if he get his fitness back.

No Love

At the premiere of SAF’s movie? Could very well be injured by the time the credits roll.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How is someone cruelly seeing their career wrecked by injury a "disgrace" you joker.

If he was missing games due to reckless behaviour or unprofessionalism maybe, but if that was the case we'd have bombed him off years back.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you think he chooses to be injured? It probably fecks with his head in so many ways and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had mental health issues from all the mockery. He’s not a disgrace in the slightest. Don’t take the piss.

Paul_Scholes18

Do you think he chooses to be injured? It probably fecks with his head in so many ways and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had mental health issues from all the mockery. He’s not a disgrace in the slightest. Don’t take the piss.
Agree Jones always seemed like someone to like in terms of personality. Of course we do not know him in private, but I think he is a great team player and team mate.
He always played with his heart and with passion. Just of course that might be why he make stupid tackles that increase injury risk as well.

RedDevil@84

:lol:

Stop blaming him, because club is stupid enough to give an injured player contract after contract.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm sure he chooses to be injured.

Anyway, Jones is a good lad and always gave his best for the club. It's unfortunate how much he's struggled with injuries. He wasn't the player we thought he was when we first bought him but he had the ability to be a good squad option for us. Hopefully we can move him on soon and he can revive his career elsewhere but personally I doubt that will happen. I can see him retiring young.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It would’ve been his dream to play for Utd as well. To have that taken out of his hands to the point where that dream is completely over and he is the subject of ridicule must be an incredibly difficult thing to take. Poor guy. I hope he can still create a career for himself at another club in the future.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does anyone even know what injury he's meant to have had that's kept him out all season?