Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

wolvored

When you got comments from Ole saying Mata can stay and sign a new contract if he wants, then its obvious the board havent a clue, nor got the go in them to move Jones on. Whoever gave him the 5 year contract wanted kicking in the bollocks.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Career wrecked by injury. However, he’s a warrior and when fit, he makes a difference. He has the heart of a lion and I’d pick him above our other DM’s. Get him fit and on the pitch and he will improve us.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He played 26 league games when we won the title in 2010/11. 17 games when we won in 2012/13. His career since then has been grim (which, if we’re honest, we can say about most of his peers) but he was a good/important player when we were last a good/important team. Which puts him in a completely different league to the likes of Sanchez.
What?? We didn't sign him until summer 2011. He wasn't with us for the 2010-11 league win; he was still at Blackburn.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
On a personal level, I feel deeply for him. It must be crushing having a promising career absolutely ruined by injuries.

FatTails

Maybe I’m just looking for positives, but it’s pretty impressive that he stayed in better shape throughout his career here than most of Shaw’s although he never trains or plays.

FatTails

On a personal level, I feel deeply for him. It must be crushing having a promising career absolutely ruined by injuries.
Some would tell you that he gets paid a lot so it’s all okay and it shouldn’t be crushing.

Oranges038

Career wrecked by injury. However, he’s a warrior and when fit, he makes a difference. He has the heart of a lion and I’d pick him above our other DM’s. Get him fit and on the pitch and he will improve us.
I see this too much, it means nothing. He's never fit and hasn't been for years.

When fit he's a car crash of a player, when he was playing most of his injuries were caused by him throwing himself around and lunging into blocks and tackles and sometimes just falling over.

He should be paid off to leave, he's a footballer who can't play football. In no other profession would you have a massive contract and not be physically able to do what you are being paid to do.

SamVimes

When you got comments from Ole saying Mata can stay and sign a new contract if he wants, then its obvious the board havent a clue, nor got the go in them to move Jones on. Whoever gave him the 5 year contract wanted kicking in the bollocks.
But that shouldn't be Ole's decision. We have a Football Director who is supposed to be making these. I think this is just the usual bland comment he comes out with. At least I hope so.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Some would tell you that he gets paid a lot so it’s all okay and it shouldn’t be crushing.
Well let's put things in context, countless players have their dream of a glittering career wrecked by injury before they make a penny. I guess most would find it less crushing if they'd amassed a fortune big enough to mean they never had to work again before hitting 30.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well let's put things in context, countless players have their dream of a glittering career wrecked by injury before they make a penny. I guess most would find it less crushing if they'd amassed a fortune big enough to mean they never had to work again before hitting 30.
And there are kids in Africa who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Everything is relative and we all have different expectations in our lives. Considering the path he must have hoped his career would follow at one point I’d say it’s fair to say he’s experienced the sort of crushing disappointment not many people on here will go through (I hope!)

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
And there are kids in Africa who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Everything is relative and we all have different expectations in our lives. Considering the path he must have hoped his career would follow at one point I’d say it’s fair to say he’s experienced the sort of crushing disappointment not many people on here will go through (I hope!)
Phil thinking about what could have been...

redpatron

Does anyone even know what injury he's meant to have had that's kept him out all season?
knee issues. covid stopped his rehabilitation process during the lockdown, it got worse as they settled for surgery in the Fall. He has history of thrombosis, so he might be spooked due to covid and the blood clots. I won't be surprised if this was the main issue and he's staying away until the pandemic is settled.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whoever gave him a new contract needs a promotion and a raise.

stevoc

Good one.

Matthew84!

he'll go to West ham.
Likable guy just because of the faces he makes, shame he's always injured now but he does need to be leave.
Lots of bad stuff said about him but not his fault he keeps getting a new contract.

RUCK4444

Quality control
Calling him a disgrace is a bit harsh. I expect he feels some embarrassment to the way his Utd career has gone.
Give your head a wobble. How you can conflate his commitment on the field with his injury troubles off it and decide if makes him a “disgrace” I’ll never know. He’s a human being who I have absolutely zero doubt it’s destroying him having his career written off like this. He’s nearly 30 and will know doubt know the best years of his career will have passed him by.
He played 26 league games when we won the title in 2010/11. 17 games when we won in 2012/13. His career since then has been grim (which, if we’re honest, we can say about most of his peers) but he was a good/important player when we were last a good/important team. Which puts him in a completely different league to the likes of Sanchez.
How is someone cruelly seeing their career wrecked by injury a "disgrace" you joker.

If he was missing games due to reckless behaviour or unprofessionalism maybe, but if that was the case we'd have bombed him off years back.
Do you think he chooses to be injured? It probably fecks with his head in so many ways and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had mental health issues from all the mockery. He’s not a disgrace in the slightest. Don’t take the piss.
I'm sure he chooses to be injured.

Anyway, Jones is a good lad and always gave his best for the club. It's unfortunate how much he's struggled with injuries. He wasn't the player we thought he was when we first bought him but he had the ability to be a good squad option for us. Hopefully we can move him on soon and he can revive his career elsewhere but personally I doubt that will happen. I can see him retiring young.
Get a grip guys, we are scraping our way back to the top and this guy has taken every penny handed to him whilst being completely anonymous through what? A terminal succession of minor knocks?

I mean what is his major malfunction? Does he have a crippling back issue? Dodgy hamstrings?
Do we even feckin know at this point? Perhaps somebody nailed a bench to his arse.

He’s paid to do a fecking job, except he doesn’t do it. Would any of us get away with the same at our place of work?

I’m invested in watching my club get back to the top, not to sponsor donkeys. Harsh? Cry me a river, life is a hell of a lot harsher than this every day.

I see this too much, it means nothing. He's never fit and hasn't been for years.

When fit he's a car crash of a player, when he was playing most of his injuries were caused by him throwing himself around and lunging into blocks and tackles and sometimes just falling over.

He should be paid off to leave, he's a footballer who can't play football. In no other profession would you have a massive contract and not be physically able to do what you are being paid to do.
Absolutely this.

RedDevilzFox

Get a grip guys, we are scraping our way back to the top and this guy has taken every penny handed to him whilst being completely anonymous through what? A terminal succession of minor knocks?

I mean what is his major malfunction? Does he have a crippling back issue? Dodgy hamstrings?
Do we even feckin know at this point? Perhaps somebody nailed a bench to his arse.

He’s paid to do a fecking job, except he doesn’t do it. Would any of us get away with the same at our place of work?

I’m invested in watching my club get back to the top, not to sponsor donkeys. Harsh? Cry me a river, life is a hell of a lot harsher than this every day.

Absolutely this.
Absolutely this. He gets so much slack for being a fergie boy but he's been stealing a living, we can only blame ourselves but there is no denying he's having it easy. Any other player with an ounce of ambition would have looked to change scenery and try something else. Someone even suggested he's had a "proper" career. Like managing 200 odd appearances in 10 years now qualifies for a proper career. Jones is a donkey, we've had too many.

Nori-

This guy is costing us £100k a week.

Constantly injured and at his age, will now never reach the potential he once had.

Let's cut our loses, save some money and just let him go on a free this summer.

Going forwarded we should be focused on quality not quantity.

meamth

He should retire from football. That's all there is, no way he can be premier league level after not playing for so many years.

Even if he wants to move to other PL teams, he is not to that standard anymore.

youngrell

Its comments like these that make me believe this site should also regularly revisit the "full member" status members and see if they should still have the status.

Of course no one realistically thinks he can be transferred while injured. Once in a while he is also NOT injured in case you missed it. If he really wanted a move, I am sure something could have been worked out, that may include not risking him.
You may be right, talking sense seems to be a minority trait on here lately.

Hope you enjoyed using up your daily allowance bleating on about an injured player not having the ambition to move to smaller clubs.

stevoc

Someone needs to renew his contract so we can preserve some value. Ed? Don't let this one slip will you Ole..
Giving a player who had been extremely injury prone for almost a decade a new 4.5 year contract might seem like silly decision from the outside. But it was actually a sound business decision that has preserved his value for the club in the transfer market.

He was worth nothing before he signed the contract and he's still worth nothing now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Absolutely this.
You can be annoyed that it hasn’t worked out but if you genuinely think he’s not playing for any other reason than injury I’m not sure what to say. Solskjaer even said he had an operation in the summer but it may not have worked. Ole himself was out for multiple seasons with a recurring knee injury.

You have no idea of what he might be going through. The amount of money he makes will mean feck all to him. The guy even refused a testimonial because he knew he didn’t deserve one. He’s only ever been known as someone who is humble and a hard worker.

CG1010

By now I think he is caught in the endless cycle of getting injured, not being fit enough to play and the mental feeling of having lost it all. While he was consummate professional earlier, I do think there is an element of playing for the contract and then losing all will to fight after receiving his final contract.

It would be best for all parties to terminate the contract with a lump sum pay and for him to retire.

devips

Jones is being paid by his club. None of you moaners are paying a dime. Keep that in mind.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
By now I think he is caught in the endless cycle of getting injured, not being fit enough to play and the mental feeling of having lost it all. While he was consummate professional earlier, I do think there is an element of playing for the contract and then losing all will to fight after receiving his final contract.

It would be best for all parties to terminate the contract with a lump sum pay and for him to retire.
It's hard to tell without knowing Jones personally but I think for sure one will happen - if/when he moves to a new club he won't be able to justify sitting on the treatment table as he does here and will be expected to play, niggly injury or not. Whether or not he can is an entirely different question.

Personally I'm hoping it's more of a Saha situation than a Hargreaves one.

Oldyella

Him and Mata must not be given new contracts.
I can see the reasons for Mata, although it should be on a reduced wage to what he's currently getting. Every squad needs a few older players knocking about and you would assume he's about as positive an influence as you could have. Jones? Yeah sadly for him no way should he be anywhere near getting renewed.

matt23

Old Trafford needs a spruce up, give him some fecking overalls and a tin of paint, he's probably sick of watching The Chase everyday anyway.

Hughes35

It's insane that some people like Phil are millionaires from doing literally nothing for a career. Just free money.

The new contract was nuts. Should have been on a pay as you play contract, like literally minimum wage but a 50K appearance fee. Might have given him a kick up the arse. Has always looked overweight and unfit to me but it never seems to get mentioned like it has with other players.

Such as a shame, as I actually think he is very talented and like him as a player.