Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Witchking

Feel for him. In his case, it really means that money can't buy you happiness.Being unhappy at work doesn't bode well for mental health.

Many who want him to play for a different club should realise that he might actually want to try and play for United. Hope he comes though and finishes his career on a high at United. Some fans are still rooting for his well being.

hp88

He's better off leaving and finding someone who will give guaranteed game time every week, same goes for Jessie as well really.

It's not being mean or cruel it's just facing up to reality and understanding that you can't cut it so you need to move on.

Jibbs

He has been tolerated for far too long at United for being English. Should have his contract terminated.

foolsgold

He has been tolerated for far too long at United for being English. Should have his contract terminated.
That'd be such as asshole move, no respectable club would do it. Regardless, it'd involve paying out his full salary and potential bonuses for the remainder of contract,.

Stadjer

It should not have to terminated. He should have never gotten a new deal or at the very least a only have gotten a short deal if Ole/board really decided he had to get a new deal.

suheilsworld

the strangest thing is the only role left with possible space for him is defensive midfield......
would be great if he could stay fit and really show his potential as a dm.
If we don't sign anyone at this point, I hope Ole gives DVB and maybe Jones a chance at that midfield 2.
I came here to suggest the same thing. If he stays fit, would not mind trying him there in some cup games or European meaningless games (provided we can seal off that top place soon)

stevoc

It shows you how grim our midfield situation really is when people are wondering/hoping if Phil Jones can come back after 2 years out and solve our midfield problems.

SeanyC

Rio should never apologised, yeah grand the man has injuries but he was a shit player before all of that and now he’s just a leech…reason we couldn’t get rid is no one wanted him end of. Next summer I really hope he is gone, January even better

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
That'd be such as asshole move, no respectable club would do it. Regardless, it'd involve paying out his full salary and potential bonuses for the remainder of contract,.
Arsenal are terminating William's contract, who is less injured and can give them a thing or two if they had good enough manager, but you're here saying we shouldn't trash Jones to the bin because we want to look good?

Maticmaker

Feel for him. In his case, it really means that money can't buy you happiness.Being unhappy at work doesn't bode well for mental health.

Many who want him to play for a different club should realise that he might actually want to try and play for United. Hope he comes though and finishes his career on a high at United. Some fans are still rooting for his well being.
I agree, all the injuries and illness that befell Phil Jones is enough to make anyone cringe, but he has carried on, he's been rewarded with new or extended contracts because people who see him everyday, know he wants to play for the club. He is a fighter and his sometime 'kamikaze' style of defending may have brought him self-inflicted injury and for other people hilarity, but he has stopped opponents when it mattered and I can never recall him pulling back from a tackle.

In what might be considered his career 'purple patch' at OT, he laid claim to 1 PL, 1 FA Cup, a couple of Charity/Community Shields and a Europa Final medal, plus 29 appearances for England. Not the greatest career record ever seen at OT, but not the worst either.
Good luck to him.

United in sin

Rio should never apologised, yeah grand the man has injuries but he was a shit player before all of that and now he’s just a leech…reason we couldn’t get rid is no one wanted him end of. Next summer I really hope he is gone, January even better
I agree. Rio was absolutely spot on. It's amazing how much protection Jones is enjoying from Solskjaer, former players and some fans who think he still has a role to play here. A slew of other players who actually contribute don't receive the same level of protection

Bryan Robson recently said some nice things about Jones, mentioning how he still can play a role if he gets fit and how he can 'compete' with Bailly, Lindelof and VARANE for a spot alongside Maguire. Barely anything was mentioned about that strange take, but let Rio tell it as it is and the backlash is so swift. Jones needs to be gotten rid off ASAP.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Awful, awful take.

foolsgold

Arsenal are terminating William's contract, who is less injured and can give them a thing or two if they had good enough manager, but you're here saying we shouldn't trash Jones to the bin because we want to look good?
It requires the consent of the player, clubs can't just cancel contracts. William wanted to leave on a free. It's an entirely different situation

roseguy64

I'm glad Rio is a better person than you. He was talking about stuff out of ignorance. He reached out to people behind the scenes, got the truth and then corrected himself. He did the right thing.

Oranges038

It requires the consent of the player, clubs can't just cancel contracts. William wanted to leave on a free. It's an entirely different situation
In any other job, if you have a contract and you are unable to fulfil your side of the contract by being physically incapable of doing your job properly, it would probably be cancelled. Don't see why players like Jones should be any different.

Jones is Bogarding it all the way to the bank. It's the clubs fault for giving him a new contract that he did nothing to deserve.

Red00012

He’s been talked about more than Bailly so I’m delighted for him that his name is out there again

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
In any other job, if you have a contract and you are unable to fulfil your side of the contract by being physically incapable of doing your job properly, it would probably be cancelled. Don't see why players like Jones should be any different.

Jones is Bogarding it all the way to the bank. It's the clubs fault for giving him a new contract that he did nothing to deserve.
Yes because in most jobs the contracts say that they can be voided at will of the employer. Also in any other job an employee can just quit and move to another company without the company having to pay millions in "transfer fees" to acquire them. To compare how football contracts work with "any other job" is dumb I would imagine you know that too.

PS: Jones would say his injuries have been acquired by playing for Man United. You can't cancel a players contract if they get a long term injury - that would nullify the whole point of signing long term contracts in the first place.

He's better off leaving and finding someone who will give guaranteed game time every week, same goes for Jessie as well really.

It's not being mean or cruel it's just facing up to reality and understanding that you can't cut it so you need to move on.
He obviously lacks the ambition for that, he's happy to sit here collecting his wages and contributing nothing. Credit to people like Dan James for moving on so they can play. He's the last of the deadwood and is clinging on for dear life, and more fool the club for letting him do it. Should have been booted years ago.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He obviously lacks the ambition for that, he's happy to sit here collecting his wages and contributing nothing. Credit to people like Dan James for moving on so they can play. He's the last of the deadwood and is clinging on for dear life, and more fool the club for letting him do it. Should have been booted years ago.
Which medical can he pass while injured? My Gawd, some people... Use your noggin'!

Oranges038

Yes because in most jobs the contracts say that they can be voided at will of the employer. Also in any other job an employee can just quit and move to another company without the company having to pay millions in "transfer fees" to acquire them. To compare how football contracts work with "any other job" is dumb I would imagine you know that too.

PS: Jones would say his injuries have been acquired by playing for Man United. You can't cancel a players contract if they get a long term injury - that would nullify the whole point of signing long term contracts in the first place.
Long term injury 6 months to a year, it's been nearly two years since he played a game, not much less since he last trained properly. But, like I said, it's the clubs fault for offering him the new deal. He should have been shipped out long ago, he's played 220 odd games and missed that amount again due to injuries.

It was dumb to offer him a new deal. He's a footballer who can't play football. He hasn't been able to stay injury free for a very long time. If he acquired those injuries playing for Utd, cancel his contract and let him take legal action to get what he's owed to cover his medical costs.

There's people out there who are on disability/sick pay who get a couple of hundred quid a week to survive when they are physically unable to work and do their job properly. Let him go on that and see how long it is before he wants to get a real job.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Long term injury 6 months to a year, it's been nearly two years since he played a game, not much less since he last trained properly. But, like I said, it's the clubs fault for offering him the new deal. He should have been shipped out long ago, he's played 220 odd games and missed that amount again due to injuries.

It was dumb to offer him a new deal. He's a footballer who can't play football. He hasn't been able to stay injury free for a very long time. If he acquired those injuries playing for Utd, cancel his contract and let him take legal action to get what he's owed to cover his medical costs.

There's people out there who are on disability/sick pay who get a couple of hundred quid a week to survive when they are physically unable to work and do their job properly. Let him go on that and see how long it is before he wants to get a real job.
What are you even talking about?

Yes the club was stupid to offer him a new contract. But that's par for the course of how we treat renewing contracts. Its a huge issue but that's not the point here.

The point was that the club can't just terminate a player's contract because he's been injured for 2 years. Which they can't. And they shouldn't be able to as that's the point of signing contracts in the first place. If clubs can just terminate a player's contract for being injured why can't say Pogba just decide to change jobs and go play for PSG for a higher salary like "any other job"?

roseguy64

I'm just genuinely glad you're not involved in the club hierarchy. You'd be costing the club unnecessary money.