Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Devil81

I'm convinced he isn't at the club anymore in a training capacity, you often see pictures of players arriving at Carrington and he's never on a single image.

We've seen it before with players from clubs, they maybe have refused a transfer in a window or had a fall out behind the scenes. One things for sure, Phil Jones hasn't played for nearly two years, he's on a huge contract for the standard of player he now is, I'm pretty certain if a West Ham or Newcastle wanted him they'd offer him far less than the contract he's on now. I'd say he'd dig his heals in and sit it out, why wouldn't he, he's already done two years without playing and he knows deep down a move wouldn't change the fact he's a walking injury.

Viral United

You can be annoyed that it hasn’t worked out but if you genuinely think he’s not playing for any other reason than injury I’m not sure what to say. Solskjaer even said he had an operation in the summer but it may not have worked. Ole himself was out for multiple seasons with a recurring knee injury.

You have no idea of what he might be going through. The amount of money he makes will mean feck all to him. The guy even refused a testimonial because he knew he didn’t deserve one. He’s only ever been known as someone who is humble and a hard worker.
Are you sure about it?
He was not included in first half squad in PL campaign this season and only included in second half because we have few spare slot.
Its clear indication from club that you are surplus of requirement.
He might be fit for while and Ole might has seen him enough and want to give chance to other cb.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Are you sure about it?
He was not included in first half squad in PL campaign this season and only included in second half because we have few spare slot.
Its clear indication from club that you are surplus of requirement.
He might be fit for while and Ole might has seen him enough and want to give chance to other cb.
Even so, it's not his fault he's not playing. If he's not being picked what can he do? It's best for all parties that he leaves this summer but slagging him off does no good for anyone.

Viral United

Even so, it's not his fault he's not playing. If he's not being picked what can he do? It's best for all parties that he leaves this summer but slagging him off does no good for anyone.
I agree, I am not saying its his fault for injuries. I am just commenting on bold part where you saying he was not playing because he was injured.
If he move on it will be great for us, but I don't think he will.
He knows its good change his carrier will be over once our contract will over. He most properly will get Pay when you Play type contract and knowing his injuries it will be very difficult.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I feel sad for him, it can be terribly depressing wasting away your best years as a professional athlete without playing the sport you love in front of fans.

Matriac

I agree, I am not saying its his fault for injuries. I am just commenting on bold part where you saying he was not playing because he was injured.
If he move on it will be great for us, but I don't think he will.
He knows its good change his carrier will be over once our contract will over. He most properly will get Pay when you Play type contract and knowing his injuries it will be very difficult.
Nobody really gets a pay when you play contract, they might get a sizeable bonus if they play, but still. Players are paid for living the life they do. That they have to eat a certain way, stay in shape a certain way, and always be ready in case they are called upon.

If he were to move on before his contract is out, United would offer to pay the difference in salary he gets in the new contract for his remaining contract time at United. Because the alternative is paying even more for a player that you don't use and you don't see in your future.

Some times clubs might hesitate to pay the difference, especially if they think the player is more motivated to get regular playing time than to just wait out the payments, but in Jones case I think they would be willing at this point. And he gets to finish his career as hopefully not a complete laughing stock. But it depends on him and his agent if they can find a club willing to take a punt on him. Maybe a club coming up from the Championship.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The likes of Phil and Bailly serve a specific purpose. They are extra bodies, usually on a cheap salary, that serve as an obstacle for the manager not to get his targets. Next time Ole asks for a CB the club can easily point out at him that he's already got 5 CBs. So all he's got to do is to sell one of the backup CBs possibly on a profit. Good luck getting rid of Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly.

wolvored

But that shouldn't be Ole's decision. We have a Football Director who is supposed to be making these. I think this is just the usual bland comment he comes out with. At least I hope so.
Lets hope you are right because the alternative is ridiculous.

wolvored

The likes of Phil and Bailly serve a specific purpose. They are extra bodies, usually on a cheap salary, that serve as an obstacle for the manager not to get his targets. Next time Ole asks for a CB the club can easily point out at him that he's already got 5 CBs. So all he's got to do is to sell one of the backup CBs possibly on a profit. Good luck getting rid of Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly.
Sad, but this does seem likely. How they gave 2 injury prone players who when played are not good enough to take us to a title winning level is beyond me, unless as you say its a penny pinching exercise to say this. Would love to know what Ole really thinks and how much he toes the party line as he also benefits from this rule.

Nikelesh Reddy

Incredible that he’s somehow still at the club.He’s been very unlucky with injuries,but had we been a well run club,the likes of Jones,Rojo,Young,Valencia would have been offloaded years ago...

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I can see the reasons for Mata, although it should be on a reduced wage to what he's currently getting. Every squad needs a few older players knocking about and you would assume he's about as positive an influence as you could have. Jones? Yeah sadly for him no way should he be anywhere near getting renewed.
The guy has barely played the past two seasons and is taking up a lot of wages. Give his minutes to Hannibal. As for the older positive influence thing we have Carrick n Ole there already not to mention the likes of matic ddg n others. Must be more ruthless.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
According to Transfermarket, Phil Jones has missed 202 Manchester United games due to injury. That's just, incredible. That's close to 4 seasons worth of games.

lsd

The Oracle
According to Transfermarket, Phil Jones has missed 202 Manchester United games due to injury. That's just, incredible. That's close to 4 seasons worth of games.

I'm sure Harry Kane had missed close to 100 so I wouldn't read too much into it.

At the end of the day Jones doesn't choose to be injured

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm sure Harry Kane had missed close to 100 so I wouldn't read too much into it.

At the end of the day Jones doesn't choose to be injured
67 games for Tottenham.

He clearly doesn't choose to be injured but we also shouldn't stick by a player through sheer loyalty, United isn't a charity. When a player is as injury prone as Phil Jones you cut him loose because ultimately he serves no purpose at the club.

We did it with Ronny Johnsen, who was more talented than Jones.

roseguy64

This guy is costing us £100k a week.

Constantly injured and at his age, will now never reach the potential he once had.

Let's cut our loses, save some money and just let him go on a free this summer.

Going forwarded we should be focused on quality not quantity.
You still have to pay players if you release them before their contract is up

Marcus

I bear him no ill will. It is what it is. He gives his all and gets injured because he has no sense of self preservation.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Jones is being paid by his club. None of you moaners are paying a dime. Keep that in mind.
You do realize the club has something called a budget, right? Wasting resources on Jones means less money available to spend on other players.

NYAS

You still have to pay players if you release them before their contract is up
It’s strange how many people don’t know this. “Cancel the contract” as if it’s FIFA. You’ll still have to pay him his remaining wages. That’s the point of a contract, it’s a commitment.

yamo123x

unfortunate with injuries but at the same time a waste of space. Prob end up paying him a few mill to release him..

Josep Dowling

One of the many decisions where all the fans scratched their head when he was given a new 4 year contract. It’s like the club want to waste millions of pounds unnecessarily.

I feel sad for him, it can be terribly depressing wasting away your best years as a professional athlete without playing the sport you love in front of fans.
That is true, must be hard to see your dream career destroyed by injury.

But he'll have all the support a person could wish for. Top medical treatment, physio, mental health support (if required). Whilst earning a fortune.

It's not like he's a person who's had a no fault injury and can no longer work, lost their home and are at the mercy of a cruel benefit system. And have no help to recover physically or emotionally.

Luke1995

Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing next season. I think Bailly could be sold.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of the many decisions where all the fans scratched their head when he was given a new 4 year contract. It’s like the club want to waste millions of pounds unnecessarily.
Protected his value.
We all scoffed at that, thinking noone is going to buy him for the figure they put him in the accounts as.

But what we're overlooking is that Jones will be on the assets on the books for 20m or so, which helps us in all our financial shufflings.

Josep Dowling

Protected his value.
We all scoffed at that, thinking noone is going to buy him for the figure they put him in the accounts as.

But what we're overlooking is that Jones will be on the assets on the books for 20m or so, which helps us in all our financial shufflings.
He wouldn’t be because as I far as I understand the players value is amortised by his first contract only. Once they renew his second contact his book value is already £nil.

They thought they could extend his contract and then sell him at a profit. But the Glazers are too dumb to realise half our players get above market rate salaries and no one is going to buy an injury prone, terrible player on £80k a week.

redmanx

Sad, but this does seem likely. How they gave 2 injury prone players who when played are not good enough to take us to a title winning level is beyond me, unless as you say its a penny pinching exercise to say this. Would love to know what Ole really thinks and how much he toes the party line as he also benefits from this rule.
It might well be a penny pinching exercise but its a false economy. Jones is taking at least some of the wages which could be used for a better, more reliable CB and also taking a better players place in the squad, a player more capable of lasting the rigours of the PL and better suited to help the team progress. Perhaps Jones should be lauded for hanging on and trying to win his place back, but how much longer is he going to be given? No, injuries or not, Phil Jones has simply failed to reach the potential SAF saw in him, its happened to others but most either chose to leave or were moved on; why is Phil Jones still here? He must realize he will never reclaim a permanent place in the first team so if its first team football he wants surely he can see that he needs to move? Or maybe he is simply happy to take his paycheque and sit it out for as long as the club lets him.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
He’s a warrior and is exactly whats’s needed in the dressing room.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Looking at the first page of the thread. Everyone knew it would end in tears. Literally no one was in support.