Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not his fault but the club are really incompetent to give him a new contract, type of move that should get the decision maker sacked.

Gordon S

Wonder how a normal day looks for him? I dont think i`ve seen him in one of these training clips from the club in ages. So, he is not back in training. So, whats he up to? Doing constant rehab training for 2 years straight now or whatever it is?

redmanx

Since joining United Jones has played 169 matches in English competitions including the Prem, FA Cup and League Cup, thats an avarage of just over 14 matches a season...and how many of those did he start or finish? Jones has been very unfortunate with injuries theres no question of that but where is his pride? Surely he must have realised years ago that he was no longer capable of performing at the level required in a top Premier League team? Why did he not ask for a transfer and sign for a club in a lower division? It appears hes perfectly happy to waste away in the reserve teams, and take his not inconsiderable wages, falling further off the pace every season. Why did we not sell him? Im pretty sure that when SAF signed him it wasnt on a 12/13 year contract, which is how long Jones has been at United. That being the case there is no reason what so ever why, once his last contract was up in 2021 we didnt simply let him go; instead he was given a new, 4 year contract worth over 15 million pounds! Why? That money could and should be used to help sign players who will actually play for the team but now we're stuck with him until 2025. I have nothing against Jones but he should have left the club years ago of his own volition.

pacifictheme

Love all these posters pretending they would give up a multi million pound contract out of pride to be injured at some shit club lower down the leagues.

"he should have asked to leave". Nah, club were idiots to give him a contract, he's honouring the agreement that was made.

Huddsred

Wonder how a normal day looks for him? I dont think i`ve seen him in one of these training clips from the club in ages. So, he is not back in training. So, whats he up to? Doing constant rehab training for 2 years straight now or whatever it is?
His normal day involves him laughing all the way to the bank. Still, who can blame him? It was obvious at the time to anyone with any understanding of football that he should never been offered a new contract.

scottser

Since joining United Jones has played 169 matches in English competitions including the Prem, FA Cup and League Cup, thats an avarage of just over 14 matches a season...and how many of those did he start or finish? Jones has been very unfortunate with injuries theres no question of that but where is his pride? Surely he must have realised years ago that he was no longer capable of performing at the level required in a top Premier League team? Why did he not ask for a transfer and sign for a club in a lower division? It appears hes perfectly happy to waste away in the reserve teams, and take his not inconsiderable wages, falling further off the pace every season. Why did we not sell him? Im pretty sure that when SAF signed him it wasnt on a 12/13 year contract, which is how long Jones has been at United. That being the case there is no reason what so ever why, once his last contract was up in 2021 we didnt simply let him go; instead he was given a new, 4 year contract worth over 15 million pounds! Why? That money could and should be used to help sign players who will actually play for the team but now we're stuck with him until 2025. I have nothing against Jones but he should have left the club years ago of his own volition.
Who in their right mind is going to refuse 15m quid? Are you honestly telling me that you would?
He should have been let go, full stop.

cyril C

4-5 years on job training, probably make him an expert on rehab. Might as well get a diploma and a full time job (somewhere else pls)

AttackAttackAttack

Love all these posters pretending they would give up a multi million pound contract out of pride to be injured at some shit club lower down the leagues.

"he should have asked to leave". Nah, club were idiots to give him a contract, he's honouring the agreement that was made.
Dude is a legend. Get the bag!

prateik

I keep seeing this thread bumped and wonder if there is some positive news for Jones.. I dont expect him to have any future here.. but if he gets fit and gets playing again somewhere, it would be nice.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Casemiro: Ant, who is the guy that's always hanging around the training ground?
Ant: Dunno. Seen him around the gym quite a bit.

Ant: Bruv, who is that guy in the gym making funny faces every time he benches 60lbs?
Bruno: I am still not sure. I think he's someone's son. Fergie's lovechild?

Bruno: Marcus, he's the guy who's always lurking around the training grounds, gym etc?
Marcus: That Mister Bruno, he's a lover, not a fighter; has more organs to offer than most donors have to give; and he's also knowns as the luckiest man in the world. That's Philip Anthony Jones.

Yakuza_devils

Luckiest fecker ever. Earning more than 100k p/w for so many years doing basically nothing.

For the average Joe 100k maybe their 2-3 years salary.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I keep seeing this thread bumped and wonder if there is some positive news for Jones.. I dont expect him to have any future here.. but if he gets fit and gets playing again somewhere, it would be nice.
He will retire. Last few years he didn't retire only because of money.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Luckiest fecker ever. Earning more than 100k p/w for so many years doing basically nothing.

For the average Joe 100k maybe their 2-3 years salary.
I genuinely think the club are just doing him a solid, giving him a freebie until he can retire.

There was zero reason to give him a new contract back when we did, and I think we know he'd never pass a medical elsewhere.

Hope the lad is using his money wisely.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I genuinely think the club are just doing him a solid, giving him a freebie until he can retire.

There was zero reason to give him a new contract back when we did, and I think we know he'd never pass a medical elsewhere.

Hope the lad is using his money wisely.
There were reports even he was surprised about being offered a new contract, not certain of their credibility though.

Adam-Utd

There were reports even he was surprised about being offered a new contract, not certain of their credibility though.
Either Ole/Woodward were THAT incompetent, or it's a favour knowing his knees were destroyed and he wouldn't get another job elsewhere.

I do think he's probably been struggling a lot mentally as well as physically. The poor guy was always injury prone but gave his all whenever he played.

I don't know why it's ended up going so badly for him, but clearly he's not even fit enough to train anymore so... I doubt we will see him again.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He could play through injuries somewhere in lower leagues if the nature of them allow him. Of course the contract was stupid from our side but the lad is as unfortunate as it gets, can't blame him.

Just don't understand this stupid kind of jealousy or having a grudge against injury-prone athletes. It's not like they are faking it hoped for their career go this way..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Either Ole/Woodward were THAT incompetent, or it's a favour knowing his knees were destroyed and he wouldn't get another job elsewhere.

I do think he's probably been struggling a lot mentally as well as physically. The poor guy was always injury prone but gave his all whenever he played.

I don't know why it's ended up going so badly for him, but clearly he's not even fit enough to train anymore so... I doubt we will see him again.
I think he's essentially had the two of the worst knee injuries you can suffer. There was a pretty interesting video somewhere on it a while back.

Adam-Utd

I think he's essentially had the two of the worst knee injuries you can suffer. There was a pretty interesting video somewhere on it a while back.
I heard his cartilidge was basically gone, so his bones are rubbing together and constantly imflammed. Sounds awful.

I bet he just desperately wants to play again but what can you do? hopefully he's doing his coaching badges.

Pronewbie

Peep
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/willian-arsenal-chelsea-transfer-contract-26135024
Has anyone compared him with Willian? Man tore up his £20M contract with Arsenal because he was unhappy. Obviously Phil's happiness is picking up £100K/w doing feck all. He's well within his right to do so but the criticisms from some sections of United supporters are valid. We are, after-all, supporting the club.

"There are moments in life when the money isn’t so important and you need to focus on what makes you happy; to look for a place where you have some pleasure working"

"That’s something I didn’t have there (Arsenal), and staying only for the money isn’t something I’m capable of doing – there are many other things that come first for me.

"I thought to myself that I couldn’t stay just because of a contract – after all, if I did, where would my motivation, my pleasure and my well-being go?

"So that’s what I had in mind. Everybody saw what I left behind in order to pursue my happiness again."

FiiiiveTenHaaags

He needs to stop holding the 4 shirt hostage, if he had a modicum of self respect he would have jogged on to MLS last summer

EtH

He needs to stop holding the 4 shirt hostage, if he had a modicum of self respect he would have jogged on to MLS last summer
Every time someone uses the word modicum you can bet your ass they’re saying something outlandish.

Dan_F

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/willian-arsenal-chelsea-transfer-contract-26135024
Has anyone compared him with Willian? Man tore up his £20M contract with Arsenal because he was unhappy. Obviously Phil's happiness is picking up £100K/w doing feck all. He's well within his right to do so but the criticisms from some sections of United supporters are valid. We are, after-all, supporting the club.
The fairly obvious difference being that Willian is still starting for a Premier League club. Jones doesn’t have that luxury.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Knowing how our club is run, it is very likely the club never offered to buy him out his contract.

Why would he tear up his contract and leave when he can't earn even 20% anywhere else?

Big_Bro

It's just so unfortunate the pain the guy must have been through knowing he should have been more in football. Decent fellow, deserves better. Not his fault at all, with all the injuries and stuff. He has always been a committed footballer.

Trophy Room

It's just so unfortunate the pain the guy must have been through knowing he should have been more in football. Decent fellow, deserves better. Not his fault at all, with all the injuries and stuff. He has always been a committed footballer.
Exactly. I’m glad he got his contract.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I totally disagree. He clearly hasn't taken good enough care of himself, and never really cared that much to be a total professional with 100% commitment, otherwise he would have pushed to leave the moment he was free of injury. But he never, then got injured again and again.

I can't believe people are defending this guy, he's been stealing a living from the club for years now.

AndySmith1990

The man has made millions doing feck all for years. He certainly doesn't need the sympathy of strangers on the internet. There's plenty of people in the world more deserving of it

FiiiiveTenHaaags

The man has made millions doing feck all for years. He certainly doesn't need the sympathy of strangers on the internet. There's plenty of people in the world more deserving of it
Exactly, plus those remarks he made about his critics sitting in their mum’s basement or whatever he said wasn’t exactly classy.