Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think it’s about this time every year I ask when Jones contract expires

And every year the response is “this summer” but it never actually does

Does anyone know when it actually expires for real? Include all options because United will trigger them again
Pretty sure it actually is this summer

led_scholes

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/willian-arsenal-chelsea-transfer-contract-26135024
Has anyone compared him with Willian? Man tore up his £20M contract with Arsenal because he was unhappy. Obviously Phil's happiness is picking up £100K/w doing feck all. He's well within his right to do so but the criticisms from some sections of United supporters are valid. We are, after-all, supporting the club.
The difference is that William could find a job. No one would pay more than 10k per month for Jones though.

Jezpeza

I wonder when some of our fans will get the calender on the wall just to put a red x in each day until July 1st

Red Royal

If his body has failed him, it isn't really his fault. I am sure he would love to play 30+ games a season but it is beyond him. He should well have gone on loan or tried to mutally terminate (may be he did).
It is just a shame the #4 shirt has been with him for over 10 years and hardly seen in the last 5.

Has a quick sesrch and the 4s in the past include:-
Hargreaves,
Heinze,
Veron,
May,
Bruce

Looking forward to whoever is our next number 4, next year hopefully. Sabitzer, FdJ?

roseguy64

He played 13 times in the last 4 years. His contract should be torn ages ago and compensated for it by some mutual termination.

Of course he's weak willed and just there for the paycheck our very own Winston Bogarde.
You're saying that like he's been fit and the manager/club wants rid and he's not leaving. It's a stupid comparison.

Jezpeza

Again, Bordeaux offered to loan him last season. Precious Jones.
It will go one of two ways: i can see a newly promoted or championship side taking a punt on him in the summer and then him playing every game for the next 4 years and being decent.

or he will just retire

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
But he's finished and knows it.

Had he taken the Bordeaux option nothing would have changed. He wouldn't be making the move to play like Willian. He'd have just been injured in France instead of England.

I can't have too much sympathy for somebody earning millions for literally doing nothing but the comparison with Willian is a bit off.
I mean, I'd take that if I was him. How bad is the guy's decision-making not to go be injured in bloody France.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

It's not his to give, the club can just take it off him. Which they would have, if Varane really cared about it. And that's assuming the reports were true, which they likely weren't.
True but it’s usually etiquette to ask, hence Wout asking Telles for 27 despite being away on loan etc. it’s not really a huge deal- bottom line is i just want Jones gone and the 4 shirt on the back of someone who deserves it
Who cares.
Thanks for that insightful contribution mate haha well worth your time that was.

fallengt

How bad is the injury?
If he cant play football then fine. But he should be good for other jobs? Like being a coach or some thing? Or pundit?

Enigma_87

You know who
You're saying that like he's been fit and the manager/club wants rid and he's not leaving. It's a stupid comparison.
The club did want to offload him on loan which is a giveaway. He could not be depended on to stay fit and we already have CB's ahead of him in the pecking order even if he's fit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I've got news for you people.
He will extend his contract and after his playing days, he will get a job at the club.
Basically, he will work his entire life at MUFC earning huge wages, while making very little contribution.

One caveat:
If the Middle Eastern people take over the club, he'll be gone within months - those guys don't accept failure. They spend big and demand results. Any personnel who are not pulling their weight will be gone very quickly.

roseguy64

The club did want to offload him on loan which is a giveaway. He could not be depended on to stay fit and we already have CB's ahead of him in the pecking order even if he's fit.
The only CB who was a constant last season was Maguire really. Everyone else was being injured or out of favour.

Also, transfers aren't black or white. It could literally have been Jones wanting to test the market to get more playing time and didn't feel like committing to the only serious offer he had.

The club let Martial and VDB go on loan last season but both were valued by the current manager now. Everything has to be viewed with a bit of grey. Things can change quickly in football. Also, he played a couple times after January so it's not like the club was desperate to get rid like Chelsea were with Bogarde.

Once again, not the same and a bad comparison.

Revan

Assumptionman
It will go one of two ways: i can see a newly promoted or championship side taking a punt on him in the summer and then him playing every game for the next 4 years and being decent.

or he will just retire
Probability of him playing every game (or just a lot of games) for 4 years: 0
Probability of him being decent: 0
0 * 0 = 0

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

31 years young. CBs enter their prime quite late so he'll be like a new signing next season.

Amsterdam Devil

Just terminate his contract already. What’s the use of him hanging around? It doesn’t matter if we pay up his contract so he can’t play for us anymore or if he sits out his contract but won’t play for us because he won’t be used. Just let him go and let some young kid get his place, where ever that is.

Ghostrider318

Just terminate his contract already. What’s the use of him hanging around? It doesn’t matter if we pay up his contract so he can’t play for us anymore or if he sits out his contract but won’t play for us because he won’t be used. Just let him go and let some young kid get his place, where ever that is.
I doubt he even shows up to trainings considering hes not in our squads (?). Might come in do some physio or whatever as a free gym and go home

OleGunnar20

Madness that this guy is still hanging around.

What a waste of a career. He looked really, really good as a youngster I thought. Damn shame.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Can see the club getting him on one of those Paul McShane / Tom Huddlestone deals.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
People are so triggered by him it blows my mind. Hes had bad luck. Hope he goes elsewhere and can play again
He won't play anymore me thinks.

Maybe we can get him a job on the coaching staff at some level . Always seemed like an intelligent lad so maybe he was doing his coaching badges.

wolvored

Havent we gone down this jobs for the boys route before and hasnt worked. He doesnt need to stop as a coach, tea lady or door stop. Let him go in june at the end of his contract.

davidmichael

A twister part of me wants us to trigger his one year option, imagine the scenes on here if it happened :lol::lol::lol: what’s the odds he goes to a lower table or newly promoted team and is decent for them ?

AndySmith1990

He won't play anymore me thinks.

Maybe we can get him a job on the coaching staff at some level . Always seemed like an intelligent lad so maybe he was doing his coaching badges.
I know times are tough but I'm sure we can afford to hire better coaching staff than Phil Jones

Andersonson

I think he has some kind of depression or something and the club is helping him. He isnt training with the first team or anything either.