Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Never thought he was world class but he's never been awful. Certainly not much worse than Maguire and in a team that can score 2 goals a game, he'd be alright.

Abraxas

Thought he was honestly our best player! Not even trying to award it out of pity, he just was.

Passed the ball quickly and accurately and made a few good interceptions.

Ridiculous that a man that hasn't played in about 5 years looks our best footballer in a half of football considering the supposed talent we have.

Someone

Something
He was always a good defender but injuries ruined his career. If he could stay fit he'd be a very good player for us. I hope he finished the game well and starts more in the future, can't be worse than what Maguire has been serving us all season.

Biggins

It’s good that we decided to buy a new CB. This Jones guy looks brilliant!

arthurka

Thought he was honestly our best player! Not even trying to award it out of pity, he just was.

Passed the ball quickly and accurately and made a few good interceptions.

Ridiculous that a man that hasn't played in about 5 years looks our best footballer in a half of football considering the supposed talent we have.
Agree has done one thing wrong all match when he passed the ball out on the left side when we had three attackers sprinting forward. Other than that flawless.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Faster than Maguire, way more aggressive than Victor. Tells you more about this team more than Jones.

MemeFather

what a surprise return.
played really well, as far as I remember, he was an excellent CB. It was just that he got injured often.
Based on this game, hes ahead of Mcguire.

Simbo

Nice to see the difference between a player that has something to prove and players happy with their paycheck.

Lentwood

Did well tonight overall but let's face it, the hypocrisy from the anti-Maguire posters is shocking. They would be hammering him for the poor defensive header that led to the Wolves goal.

Biggins

Did well tonight overall but let's face it, the hypocrisy from the anti-Maguire posters is shocking. They would be hammering him for the poor defensive header that led to the Wolves goal.
Yes, Jones’ header should be better there but he was great overall and was not shaky like Maguire despite Jones not playing for 2 years! He also added some much needed aggressiveness to the defence which was nice to see. Unfortunately, Phil will probably be injured in the next training but he has shown that he would be more than capable to replace our 80m CB if he could stay fit.

Lentwood

Yes, Jones’ header should be better there but he was great overall and was not shaky like Maguire despite Jones not playing for 2 years! He also added some much needed aggressiveness to the defence which was nice to see. Unfortunately, Phil will probably be injured in the next training but he has shown that he would be more than capable to replace our 80m CB if he could stay fit.
That's the crux of the problem though, I think plenty of United fans rated Jones but he could never stay fit. Southgate called him England's best natural defender three years ago.

Again though, the club are such a soft touch. We have to get away from "what a player Bailly/Jones would be if fit" because they never are.

Biggins

That's the crux of the problem though, I think plenty of United fans rated Jones but he could never stay fit. Southgate called him England's best natural defender three years ago.

Again though, the club are such a soft touch. We have to get away from "what a player Bailly/Jones would be if fit" because they never are.
Fully agree. We had too many Joneses and Andersons already.

dave1956

Considering that was his first premiership start in around 708 days I consider he had a very good game. In the first 2 minutes he had a good defensive header, plus a couple of very good interceptions. Appeared not to be pulled out of position and a couple of times could be seen being vocal and organising the defence. Completed the full game, considering his lay off says in my opinion alot about his character and the effort he has put into his training. Given Maguire's recent form I would certainly consider him for future games alongside Varne.

Paul_Scholes18

We actually got a really nice set of central defenders.

Just wished we had a top manager as well.

Bailly and Jones get the stick, but if staying fit they are good defenders.

Maguire been bad though, but he has the quality to comeback.

Lee565

Honestly whilst he is fit I would have him play defensive midfielder, he would be better option than what we have had to use in that position these past few seasons.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Knowing united they'll give him a new 5 year contract now

Maticmaker

The fact that every manager since Fergie has kept Jones on the books despite his injury (and illness) record, shows something that Phil himself showed last night.... in the words of his song .."he is indestructible".

crossy1686

career ending
Great to see Jones in action yesterday, felt solid at the back (without Maguire). Really hope he can stay injury free for the rest of the season and play a few more games, for everyone’s sake.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
There is a difference between making a single mistake and making repeated mistakes, in several consecutive matches, and even during the same match, then acting like billy big bollocks because he scored a header against some cannon fodder for england.

I got a real warm fuzzy watching jones, played really well and showed heart and desire to be there.

KingCavani

It is actually kind of amusing that he's playing alongside Varane. At one point they were probably considered the two best CB prospects in world football.

Lee565

A non injury prone Jones is better than Maguire any day of the week and would even walk into the england first 11, it's a real shame that he can't catch a break with his injury issues. I can imagine that a fit Jones and Daley blind would have been a really good defensive pairing.

Withnail

Based on Maguire's form he wouldn't have been our best player for the other 99% of the game.

When someone puts in a performance like that you can forgive one mistake, especially when we'd have won comfortably if the guys ahead of him had turned up. When a defender has multiple shaky moments every game there isn't as much leeway. That's not hypocrisy.

GL21

It's obvious the big decision with Jones is regarding his fitness. Aside from that what Jones brings to the table cannot be bought and it's the very credentials we could be doing with more of right now. He brings blood, sweat and tears. Genuinely get the feeling he actually cares, even if he is not our own youth product, he has the original english football mentality a lot of our own english players either lack or have lost. A fit Jones I'd have in every squad in a heartbeat, right back, centre of defence or combative defensive midfielder....all with the added bonus of them awesome faces he pulls

Last edited:

cpresc

Seeing Jones playing so well last night was the one positive thing I took from the game.

Just put yourself in his shoes for a moment, injured ongoing for about 8 seasons and literally becoming a living meme. Yet somehow having the courage and perseverance to keep going and get himself back on the pitch to then deliver a performance like that.

He was brilliant. And he believed in himself and kept going when literally none of us no longer did.

We’re in the shit. And like Churchill once said “if you’re going through hell, keep going”

Phil Jones keeps going.

Let’s keep him in the team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Well, his performance last night should gain some interest. Very good, even if a few passes went astray.

Hughie77

Jones, and Varane both played well and DDG in wolves game. Jones is 28 and that's not old, his injuries have decimated his career, he's been in a few England squads for tournaments, thus guy has been made a scapegoat in recent years with fans etc, Ole imo should have played him earlier in the season. How can a player who hasn't played a game in the top league for 2 years turn out to be the best player in that game!

There lies the deeper roots of issues at OT. Hope he starts the FA Cup game as well, which is a strong possibility unless he gets his usual injury in training or something that's sods law for him.

GL21

Just seen footage of Phil Jones leaving the pitch clearly emotional tapping the badge. This guy clearly loves utd and as long as there is still passion in the dressing room there is a hope of turning this situation around. Fecking love Jones

Going to guess he carried this inside with him which may have lead to Shaws admirable defence of him