Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
United are confident they will finalise the deal with Blackburn to buy Jones, who is due to play for England Under-21s against Spain in Denmark on Sunday evening.

Jones passed his United medical and agreed personal terms with the club on Wednesday but the completion of the deal was held up by Blackburn’s Indian owners, who hoped to get a bigger fee for the 19-year-old defender.

On Saturday morning, the transfer took a dramatic twist when Liverpool stepped in with a counter offer for Jones, who has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for offers of more than £16 million.

Liverpool’s bid is believed to have been around £6 million more than that of United, and was therefore welcomed by Blackburn’s owners, who dispute United’s interpretation of the clause.

They think an offer of £16 million merely allows a club to talk to Jones, and have decided that if the player is determined to leave, they should aim to have an auction for his services.

But Jones has told Blackburn he wants to join United rather than Liverpool, and the Old Trafford club are convinced that the detail of Jones's contract means they will succeed in completing his signing within a matter of hours.

United have already beaten Liverpool to another mutual summer transfer target, Aston Villa winger Ashley Young.

Saturday’s drama was hardly the ideal build-up to England’s first game in the European Under-21 Championships.

Jones is expected to form a central defensive partnership with prospective new United team-mate Chris Smalling, as Stuart Pearce’s youngsters face tournament favourites Spain.

Pearce, who believes Jones will go on to captain England’s senior team, said the player’s move to United was not in doubt.
Manchester United confident of signing Phil Jones from Blackburn Rovers despite Liverpool's hijack bid - Telegraph

forevrared

Do they not understand they already made the same offer we did and Jones flat out rejected them in favor of us?

WireRed

Eh? How's this a masterstroke of his?
Because they are Scouse, he's the latest Yank saviour(until they realise he's barely spent a penny on the squad, using the Torres windfall mainly), and he may or may not have tried to screw United out of a couple of million. That's what they are reduced to these days...claiming moral victories and trying to win the less relevant battles whilst day dreaming of one day being able to call themselves the 4th best team in the land...Bliss!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
intheknow99
Liverpool fans shouldn't feel too disheartened on losing out to Jones, they have Andre Wisdom coming through.
Looks like Norman Wisdom turned them down then.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
More amusingly, why would Liverpool pay 22 million if there is a 16 million release clause?

Are they retarded? :confused:

I think release clause maybe the new away goals rule.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
On a side note, if we have come back in with a 22m bid has nobody thought of the possibility that Jones might think ' Hang on a minute, Liverpool are bending over backwards to get me here ' . Maybe then he will change his mind.
:lol:

tintedsepia

More amusingly, why would Liverpool pay 22 million if there is a 16 million release clause?

Are they retarded? :confused:

I think release clause maybe the new away goals rule.
This is what I was saying in an earlier thread. If Jones was not bothered Blackburn would try to do an auction.

Here it is just as well that Jones IS bothered where he goes.

Because they really want the player - although could just be getting SAF back for trying to bolster the Charlie Adam price last season (although I doubt it!)

If it is true they have big hopes of signing him and this might explain Venky's stance.

Take the figure with a pinch of salt!

RonaldoVII

22m bid :lol: Egg on their faces :D

Seriously though, don't they realise how stupid they are making themselves look? Jones has already chosen United so it makes no difference what they offer Blackburn. City could offer Blackburn £50m for him but if he says he wants to join us, which he has, any bids from other clubs are redundant. Add the whole £16m clause into the mix and they have really shown themselves up.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
I don't really understand what the hell is going on, probably because I dint really understand the buy-out clause concept. How can they reject our bid, what difference does a higher bid make?

Someone please summarize/elaborate...

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Some of the posters on RAWK are so incredibly dense that the addition of Scholesy may mean that critical mass has been reached, inevitably warping the fabric of the interwebs, and leaving a super-massive black hole of stupid where www.redandwhitekop.com/ once was.

Before that happens, I will share this secret copy of Liverpool's plan for domination according to RAWK:

(1) Make £150m bid for Lionel Messi.

(2) Messi stops laughing for a few seconds, and says.....'are you serious?'

(3) ????

(4) Quadruple in the bag!

It's ON! win-win.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
so current status = pretty much exactly as I predicted.

I am good me.

Ringo 07

I dont see anything wrong with Liverpool bidding so much to be honest. Young English players that are being talked about to be future England captains will always be priced at about 3 times their worth as England does not produce so many players of that calibre with many wealthy clubs scrambling to sign them up.
Liverpool probably paid at least 15 Million too much for Carroll but he has already shown signs of being a class act for years to come and will more than likely stay at Liverpool for life so 10 years from now 35 million could look like a bargain as it looks for us with players like Rooney and Rio.

EvilChuck

I don't really understand what the hell is going on, probably because I dint really understand the buy-out clause concept. How can they reject our bid, what difference does a higher bid make?

Someone please summarize/elaborate...
Blackburn are hoping to start a bidding war, but the player has already rejected everyone else except us and we have met a clause in his contract that says he can go to anyone who pays Blackburn £16 million (which we will do). Liverpool think they can steal the transfer by offering more money to Blackburn, despite the fact they dont need to and the fact that Jones doesnt want to play for them.

RAWK believes this is genius, to offer £6 million more than the required amount for a player that has already rejected them. RedCafe laughs at their stupidity (again)

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
When will Liverpool fans get it into their skulls that Phil Jones dosnt want to play for them? hes told them to shove their offer once how many knockbacks do they want?

You can bid 102 million scousers it changes nothing im afraid when the simple fact of the matter is the player dosnt want you. :D

EvilChuck

When will Liverpool fans get it into their skulls that Phil Jones dosnt want to play for them? hes told them to shove their offer once how many knockbacks do they want?

You can bid 102 million scousers it changes nothing im afraid when the simple fact of the matter is the player dosnt want you. :D
Did you not get the memo? I make no apologies for posting this again btw

some RAWKite said:
On a side note, if we have come back in with a 22m bid has nobody thought of the possibility that Jones might think ' Hang on a minute, Liverpool are bending over backwards to get me here ' . Maybe then he will change his mind.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12

When was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.