Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywarden

Given that the press are still speculating, I'll throw in another piece of speculation.

In Spain, where release clauses are standard, when a club treats a bid as hostile it'll insist the player asks for the transfer and waives his slice of the fee. Of course, the buyer can always give the player a signing bonus in compensation. Naturally I'm speculating from a position of "no idea what his contract says or means" strength, just like the Mail etc...

Personally I've not seen Jones play very much, so the great thing about all this for me is that I'm now really pleased that we're buying him, whereas I'd have probably been a bit indifferent before. :devil:
Aye. Here's a good read on the matter:

Atletico's claims about bids for Sergio Aguero don't ring true - Sid Lowe - SI.com

Scouser fans have this wierd tendency to think that people they like are gods whose every move is pure genius.
I'm trying to think of a relative way of viewing it i.e viewing it through their eyes. But, nay, my brain gets full of feck and I just can't think of a way to challenge the contract and its BO clause when there has been an activation of the clause by not one, but multiple clubs.

Edit: removed a tweet.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Lets hope Arsenal step up to the plate now that we've laid the ground. :) (FWIW, I think the deal will be sealed in the next 48 hours like the agent said above)

humdinger

Nothing whatsoever. This is a done deal for 16 million to you guys in my mind. But the Venky's aren't all there mentally, so why not exploit the situation is my point. It could be obsession, but then that's not surprising either is it after your number 19.
Do you not think it's fairly pathetic though? Bidding more to try and entice Blackburn to force the player to move to you?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you just genuinely want to sign him rather than putting in a lame attempt to de-rail us: it doesn't seem to matter how much more you are willing to pay Blackburn - it's the player himself who has chosen to come to United. If you are desperate to sign him you need to convince Jones to go there, and offering an extra £6m to Blackburn won't have any effect. It would make more sense to offer to double Jones' wages.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Lets hope Arsenal step up to the plate now that we've laid the ground. :) (FWIW, I think the deal will be sealed in the next 48 hours like the agent said above)
Yeah, Liverpool can concentrate on the players at their level, like Downing and Adam.

datura

This whole "forcing the price up higher" theory has been jumped on by muppet Liverpool fans on the internet. It's ludicrous. You don't gamble 20 million quid on the off-chance you'll force United to pay over the odds. The only reason they would make a bid is because they want to sign the player. Will be fun when they're told to feck off twice in one transfer. Especially for a player they need much more badly than we do.
I thought SAF was only going for Jones to avenge losing out on Glenn Hysen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like that the player isn't being vocal in the media.

Is he a reserved chap?

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
feck me, this is painful reading.

I preferred the chicken puns. :rolleyes:

It is sorted, wait and see. This is simply Blackburn wriggling because they realised they could have got more for their player in today's market, but their £16million release clause fecked that up.

It is worth paying the lawyers a few thousand to try extract a couple of million. I am sure Fergie is laughing his cock off, sunning himself in France.

We won't be paying more, we will be signing young Master Jones and the 'Pool fans will have to accept that two of their "Summer signings" have voted with their feet.

:devil:

WireRed

But Pogue, you have worries in central midfield which I'm sure you admit you have to address. If by what Liverpool are doing means you have less money to focus on central midfield then isn't it worth doing? Worse case scenario, we end up with Jones for 22 million.

And from the impression I'm getting he is a top, top player. No doubting that.
Do you honestly believe that United have a ultra-strict budget to adhere to and that an extra £5M or so is going to derail persuits for other targets SAF will have identified a long while ago? I'm sorry, but that's just wishful thinking and a small-time idea on Liverpool's part.

By all accounts, United wanted to wait until 2012 to bring Jones to OT, does the fact that we've brought that idea forward a year mean we are now £16m less able to get our targets this summer? Does it feck.

Liverpool's transfer strategy has no bearing on ours, I'm not sure you can say the same vice-versa though judging by how Liverpool have gone about this deal and how they've lost out on two player's to United who it is common knowledge they had prioritised this summer.

amolbhatia50k

But Pogue, you have worries in central midfield which I'm sure you admit you have to address. If by what Liverpool are doing means you have less money to focus on central midfield then isn't it worth doing? Worse case scenario, we end up with Jones for 22 million.

And from the impression I'm getting he is a top, top player. No doubting that.
:lol:

Come on now. Do you actually believe any of that?

You really think us paying 4 million extra (which we won't have to) means not having funds to spend on midfield? We signed Bebe for 7 million last season! I don't think we're crazily loaded or anything but Fergie's hands aren't tied to the extent where a few millions spent on a player means his whole plans for the rest of the summer are curtailed.

Fergie will have who he wants in mind this summer and he'll try his best to get them. A couple of million here or there isn't really going to shatter his plans. It's not as if we're talking about 35 million instead of 15 million.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Do you honestly believe that United have a ultra-strict budget to adhere to and that an extra £5M or so is going to derail persuits for other targets SAF will have identified a long while ago?
Of course he does, it's what happens in FM after all.

amolbhatia50k

Or as funny as having the first piece of silverware within your grasp for the first time in 6 years, only to feck it up in the dying seconds.
I still can't believe that happened. Only Arsenal :lol:

WireRed

To be fair, if Liverpool nab Jones now it'll be arguably the funniest thing ever. Please let it happen.
Not as funny as your lot yet again playing the kid with their face pressed up against the shop window whilst your rivals once again snap up a promising CB you so dearly wanted.

Liverpool might be desperate but at least they ambitious, unlike Arsenal, once a great club but now an afterthought in pursuit of honours and little more than a breeding ground for the elite to cherry-pick from.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
To be fair, if Liverpool nab Jones now it'll be arguably the funniest thing ever. Please let it happen.
hmmmmmm.....debatable as I look at our squad and whilst I can see that Jones is a talented young player its not like we are desperate for him(although some reactions in this thread may demonstrate otherwise).

What is interesting is that both yourselves and Liverpool need him more and if he does get sold to either us or Liverpool because the transfer fee will be paid to rovers that puts Arsenal further away from getting a defender who most agree they should be bidding for in Chris Samba.

So which ever one of us wins in my opinion Arsenal lose.

Amir

I seriously doubt the people running Liverpool (and the manager) are as dumb and desperate as their fans, who actually think this is a great ploy to get us to spend more. A few more millions wouldn't cause disaster to United, I'm sure we don't have a fixed budget. It doesn't mean we can just go and spend an extra 30m, but a few more don't make much of a difference. What I do find funny is Liverpool's attempt to nab a player who already had the chance to join them and said no. He won't accept being pushed there by Blackburn.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Liverpool are such a smalltime club.

This is like when Newcastle were trying to scupper our Rooney deal at the last minute. At the moment, Liverpool are only a slight step up from Blackburn - midtable mediocrity to upper midtable mediocrity.

Unless a player is brain-dead or completely lacking ambition, he'll choose United over Liverpool any day of the week.

Know your place. Jones wants to play for us. Same with Ashley Young. As a compromise we'll give you a free run at Stewart Dowing, Charles Nzogbia and Scott Dann.

humdinger

God, some people are proper sensitive.
They have a point though. Why on earth would Arsenal find it funny if Liverpool got Jones, seeing as he still rejected you outright and he would undoubtedly improve your team (while everyone agrees that we have much less need of him at this time)? Also, if the rumour is true you bid yet again yesterday, so it would mean you were rejected not just once, but twice.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12

This is like when Newcastle were trying to scupper our Rooney deal at the last minute. At the moment, Liverpool are only a slight step up from Blackburn - midtable mediocrity to upper midtable mediocrity.

Unless a player is brain-dead or completely lacking ambition, he'll choose United over Liverpool any day of the week.

Know your place. Jones wants to play for us. Same with Ashley Young. As a compromise we'll give you a free run at Stewart Dowing, Charles Nzogbia and Scott Dann.
You forgot Charlie Adam.

RonaldoVII

:lol:

alastair

ignorant
They have a point though. Why on earth would Arsenal find it funny if Liverpool got Jones, seeing as he still rejected you outright and he would undoubtedly improve your team (while everyone agrees that we have much less need of him at this time)? Also, if the rumour is true you bid yet again yesterday, so it would mean you were rejected not just once, but twice.
You could argue that no defender on earth would want to join Arsenal though. I mean, it's a hiding to nothing defending for us. If Jones played left wing, I'd be slightly more disappointed he rejected our offer.

Amir

This is like when Newcastle were trying to scupper our Rooney deal at the last minute.
To be fair, Newcastle bid for him first, forcing ours hands, much like the Jones story. No complaints to Newcastle there. What was funny was the way Newcastle just faded away from the whole deal the moment we made our own move. It was like they were never there.

humdinger

You could argue that no defender on earth would want to join Arsenal though. I mean, it's a hiding to nothing defending for us. If Jones played left wing, I'd be slightly more disappointed he rejected our offer.
I don't know, totally depends on the player. Guaranteed first team action if he's even half-good, and good wages to boot (apparently you pay your youngsters more than what other clubs do). London is an attractive destination, Arsenal are a big club, and are always there or thereabouts in the title race and do well in the cups.

What we offer him is the chance for him to learn from Vidic and Ferdinand with a view to becoming one of their successors in the long-term, to be more likely win a trophy (that's not a dig, by the way), and the fact he doesn't need to up sticks and move (I think I read somewhere he still lives with his mum & dad?).

I actually would have thought that you would have been more likely to sign him than us before the events of last week began, but seems he's down-to-earth and willing to be patient rather than demand to walk straight into the team. I'm very glad it seems like we're in the driving seat as I think he's an excellent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.