Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
To be fair, Newcastle bid for him first, forcing ours hands, much like the Jones story. No complaints to Newcastle there. What was funny was the way Newcastle just faded away from the whole deal the moment we made our own move. It was like they were never there.
That's because it quickly became clear we were the only club that Rooney wanted to play for, so Newcastle, realising they had no chance, had the decency and self-respect not to pursue the issue.

Newcastle, more self-respect than Liverpool it seems! Liverpool are too bitter and desperate to let the fact the player doesn't want to play for them stand in their way. They're like a woman scorned.

alastair

ignorant
I don't know, totally depends on the player. Guaranteed first team action if he's even half-good, and good wages to boot (apparently you pay your youngsters more than what other clubs do). London is an attractive destination, Arsenal are a big club, and are always there or thereabouts in the title race and do well in the cups.

What we offer him is the chance for him to learn from Vidic and Ferdinand with a view to becoming one of their successors in the long-term, to be more likely win a trophy (that's not a dig, by the way), and the fact he doesn't need to up sticks and move (I think I read somewhere he still lives with his mum & dad?).

I actually would have thought that you would have been more likely to sign him than us before the events of last week began, but seems he's down-to-earth and willing to be patient rather than demand to walk straight into the team. I'm very glad it seems like we're in the driving seat as I think he's an excellent player.
I think there's a bit of a myth surrounding what we pay young players - it's a little bit more, but it's hardly a huge amount.

Not to bring this into a debate about tactics, but Arsenal defend poorly in my view as a result of the style of our game, not as a direct result of the quality of our defenders. I've said before we could have 4 Ballon D'Or winners at the back, and we'd still leak goals.

Jones chose United because firstly you're a better team right now, and he's probably been convinced of his route to the first team. And whilst London is attractive, if you're from Blackburn, it's more likely that United will be the preferred choice of the player. There are numerous reasons for which Jones chose United, and you can't blame him really.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Phil Jones signs for United as Fergie pulls off a coup

MANCHESTER UNITED have completed the signing of Phil Jones from Blackburn.

June 12, 2011

And Sir Alex Ferguson has pulled off another 11th-hour triumph over Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, who thought they had won the race for the England under-21 international.

Blackburn owners, Venky's, were said to be demanding more money from United but have now agreed a £16.5million deal, rising to almost £20m if United win the title and Jones gains a certain number of full England caps.

But Arsenal are furious after being outwitted by Ferguson again, just as they were over Chris Smalling last year.

The Gunners believed they had all but sealed a double deal for Jones and fellow Rovers defender Christopher Samba last week. But instead Jones flew to the South of France, where Ferguson was on holiday, and returned from meeting the Manchester United boss to tell Blackburn he wanted to go to Old Trafford.

A source said: "Phil was all but convinced he was going to go to Arsenal - but then he went to France to see Fergie. And when you meet Fergie, you tend to end up signing for him."

Arsenal declined to comment but the episode has horrible echoes for them of what happened with Smalling.

Arsenal thought they had snapped up Jones' England Under-21 team-mate from Fulham for £7m plus £3m in add-on clauses. But Fergie swooped with a £10m plus £2m bid and Smalling was part of United's record- breaking 19th title win.

In the Jones case, United, Arsenal and Tottenham are all thought to have offered the £16.5m release clause.

Arsenal thought they had won the day, with manager Wenger pledging to build his defence for the next decade around 19-year-old Jones.

But by Wednesday morning, Jones was in Manchester having a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Hawkeye

16.5 going up to 20million with his success.

I wish we get a confirmation on a transfer, Three transfers and none are confirmed :(

Was hoping for a nice relaxing Summer with business done early.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Whenever we win #20 next year and we have to pay out this new reported success clause, scousers will claim credit.

It will be like they won something too.
:lol:

United fans : feck yeah, #20!! Champions!

Scousers : United pay 3.5M more for Jones and Reina wins the Golden Glove Award, feck yeah, Next year is ours, KK Rulz!! Fergie is quaking!!

Moriarty

Any new nuggets of information on this guy? I hope he'll soon become a (Rhode Island) Red. Fergie might try him out on the wings. If Blackburn do decide to launch a legal action, it will be settled when it goes up before the beak.

prateik

The link doesnt work because you have to register to NOTW. If you arent, you'll get redirected to the homepage

I expect it to be completed. Dont see why we'd agree to pay more than the release clause, unless we are paying it FM style, in installments

10m up front.
6.5m over the next 24 months
2m for winning the CL
1m for winning the league
0.5m for 5 caps for England

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
This quote from a transfer gossip site made me laugh.

Paul Smith, the chief football reporter for the Sunday Mirror, has intimated that the agent of Phil Jones has confirmed his client's transfer to Manchester United. In a text received by Smith, the defender's agent disclosed the following information:

"I expect the deal to be formally announced in the next 48 hours. The buy-out clause put in by BRFC cannot be challenged

He added the player was given permission by BRFC to speak to four clubs who met the buy-out clause and he opted for MUFC. It would make no difference to the player if LFC offered more money at this stage. He has joined United in the best interest of his career
just thought i would post this to shut up littlepool who are getting very frustrated because a very very good player in jones has already turned them dowm flat
i have a feeling that untill jones scores a goal against them next season the fools will still think they have a chance of signing him
muppets

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Whats all this crap on ESPN about us giving them 20.5 million now? especially since his agent has just confirmed the buy out clause is soild and not challengable.

Its comedy gold over on that RAWK thread, they are genuinely delirious they've basically made fools of themselves all to try and make us pay a couple of quid more which has failed dramatically, is this what weve reduced the once great Liverpool to? small time token gesture bids to try and make us pay more for a player whos already told them he doesn't want to play for them?

And does this ironically prove a that Kenny Dalglish is utterly obsessed by us that hes trying such tactics in the first place? have we got his arse squeaking or something?

Commadus

feck Venky and feck splurging £20m on Jones. FFS they bought Blackurn for about £50m.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Whats all this crap on ESPN about us giving them 20.5 million now? especially since his agent has just confirmed the buy out clause is soild and not challengable.

Its comedy gold over on that RAWK thread, they are genuinely delirious they've basically made fools of themselves all to try and make us pay a couple of quid more which has failed dramatically, is this what weve reduced the once great Liverpool to? small time token gesture bids to try and make us pay more for a player whos already told them he doesn't want to play for them?

And does this ironically prove a that Kenny Dalglish is utterly obsessed by us that hes trying such tactics in the first place? have we got his arse squeaking or something?
See above.

Amir

I don't mind us offering a few extra millions based on success and appearances just to end this quickly. If it all works out, he's worth it. If it doesn't, they're not going to get it.

I do expect the headlines will make any future clauses be watertight, though.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I don't mind us offering a few extra millions based on success and appearances just to end this quickly. If it all works out, he's worth it. If it doesn't, they're not going to get it.

I do expect the headlines will make any future clauses be watertight, though.
It's possible that those add-ons were part of the original deal anyway.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Why? If we thought there was a 16.5m clause and offered 16.5m, why would we be kind enough to add such clauses?
Agreed, i fancy IF it is true that we've basically said to Blackburn we'll chuck in a few potential success/performance related instalments to sweeten the deal and get this shit over with, the basic figure is the release clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.