Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aporkalypse

Now Liverpool fans are claiming Jones wanted to join them but the agent wouldn't let him.

:houllier::houllier::houllier:
One of the Liverpool blogs had the same thing about Young on their Twitter. Young wanted to join Liverpool but his agent pushed for United.

Anything to make themselves feel better I guess.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
One of the Liverpool blogs had the same thing about Young on their Twitter. Young wanted to join Liverpool but his agent pushed for United.

Anything to make themselves feel better I guess.
Its hard times for the poor buggars in fiarness, seeing us eclipse their title record was hard enough but just as they think their on the up having to watch their targets one by one give them the finger in favour of a move to us its the ultimate slap down, it cant be easy for them right now, anything to make the world seem a happier place an all, hence the wetting of undergarments at potentially making big bad nasty Manchester United pay 3 million more on a transfer and lord it as some kind of victory, thats what they've been reduced to im afraid. :lol:

I pity them.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He is a good young lad but I highly doubt it is worth spending £20m on him.
If he spends the next 10 years at Utd will he be worth it then?

Are you basing this on the U21 game on right now or all the times you saw him play 90 mins for bburn last season?

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Manchester United have fully secured the signature of Phil Jones in a transfer potentially worth more than £20million (Dh119,212m) after Blackburn Rovers abandoned attempts of blocking the deal and auctioning the defender off to Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur.

United will pay £16.5m for Jones, plus up to £4m in achievable add-ons - the fees required to trigger a release clause in his contract. Though Jones agreed terms with United and completed a medical on Tuesday, the transfer stalled when Anuradha Desai, chair of Blackburn owners Venky's, challenged the player's right to exercise the clause.

Amidst talk of Blackburn contesting United's approach with the Premier League and an improved £22m offer from Liverpool for a player Kenny Dalglish had placed at the top of his central defensive recruitment list, Jones was informed on Saturday night that he was free to complete his move to United.

Desai's position became untenable when it was established that Jones' contract - improved in February - had been signed off by one of her own club's executives and agreed by a representative working for Blackburn.

The 19-year-old centre back has agreed a contract until 2016 and will become the second most expensive teenage signing in English football, behind only Wayne Rooney's £27m move to Old Trafford in 2004.

Securing Jones is a major coup for Sir Alex Ferguson, who now has a prospective England central defence waiting in reserve to succeed Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. So impressive was Jones' first full season of

Premier League football that the division top-seven clubs were all ready to pay the fee required to release him from Blackburn. Liverpool and Arsenal both spoke to the player last week.

Ferguson is considering investing upwards of £80m in transfer fees this summer. Deals worth around £15m and £18m are in place for Aston Villa forward Ashley Young and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea.

Young is expected to sign for United when he returns from a holiday in the United States, while De Gea will join when his contract with his current agent expires at the end of June.

In central midfield, Ferguson has prioritised the purchase of Luka Modric, Tottenham's most influential player. Though Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has warned United that he will not sell Modric, his club is under financial pressure after missing out on Champions League football, and the normally reticent Croatian has given two interviews in the past fortnight discussing a possible transfer.

More than 10 players could leave United this summer. Bebe, their Portugal Under 21 striker, has joined Besiktas for the duration of 2011/12 or a €1m (Dh5,96m) loan fee and a lucrative option to buy.

Phil Jones set to finally seal United switch - The National
According to this and several other sources, we are paying the buyout clause, which always had the add-ons in it. Shut up Scousers. :D

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
According to this and several other sources, we are paying the buyout clause, which always had the add-ons in it. Shut up Scousers. :D
That's still 20.5m ... a pretty steep price and quite a gamble I'd say.

Only time will tell whether or not he's worth it ...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Spurs were willing to pay it too. I bet you'd have been delighted if you could have pulled it off.

£16.5m plus add-ons - not massive money in this day and age.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No, not the same as any transfer .... because the average transfer does not involve spending 20.5m.
You realize that Spurs were prepared to pay the same amount?
If Spurs would've pulled off this signing, you would've been given reasons why it's a terrific signing.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
That's still 20.5m ... a pretty steep price and quite a gamble I'd say.

Only time will tell whether or not he's worth it ...
Only if he wins stuff here, and gets full England caps.

I'd say he'll be worth it if any of those come to fruition, seeing as to win stuff here he'll have to play a pretty active role, and to get England caps, he'll need to displace some top established defenders.

I'm guessing we don't pay up if, for example, we won the league next year, but he didn't play all season because of injury or something.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No, not the same as any transfer .... because the average transfer does not involve spending 20.5m.
Average transfer of a top talent to a major club usually involves a signifidant amount of money, besides it's £16m plus add-ons and you placed an exact same bid for him but he wouldn't join you for obvious reasons.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The bottom line is that all the top clubs were willing to pay the same amount as we're paying for him. That should tell us about the player quality, it's very rarely that all the top club's managers have got it wrong.

Sarni

You realize that Spurs were prepared to pay the same amount?
If Spurs would've pulled off this signing, you would've been given reasons why it's a terrific signing.
Funny thing is, he is the exact type of player that they are missing. With a proper striker and good defence Tottenham might actually stand a chance of getting back into top 4, and we have snatched one of the best available defenders in the market from under their noses.

alastair

ignorant
The bottom line is that all the top clubs were willing to pay the same amount as we're paying for him. That should tell us about the player quality, it's very rarely that all the top club's managers have got it wrong.
Indeed. £20.5m for a teenager looks ridiculous, but there's no way every manager in the top 6 could be wrong on this.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You realize that Spurs were prepared to pay the same amount?...
How do you come to this conclusion? Just because his automatic release clause was that amount, doesn't mean that Spurs bid that sum. Clubs sell sometimes sell players for less than their release clause ... for a whole variety of obvious possible reasons.

20.5m would have broken our record spending on a single player and been 4m more than we paid for Modric.

I strongly doubt that Spurs put in a bid anywhere close to 20.5m ... because there is no way that Spurs would have committed to spend so much on a 19 year-old CB. Levy quite simply would not have sanctioned it. Knowing Harry, he probably got Levy to agree to a "test the water" bid of around 12m.

However, I acknowledge that Man. Utd have a much bigger income and so are in better position to take such big gambles.

lysglimt

Scout
Now Liverpool fans are claiming Jones wanted to join them but the agent wouldn't let him.

:houllier::houllier::houllier:
Young: ehm....I would like to join Liverpool

Agent: no you don't

Young: ok - who do i want to join ?

Agent: Manchester United

Young: OK! Thanks!!!

Jones: ehm....I would like to join Liverpool

Agent: no you don't

Jones: ok - who do i want to join ?

Agent: Manchester United

Jones: OK! Thanks!!!

Clearly the managers are right - the agents are getting too much power in the game!!! :)

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
How do you come to this conclusion? Just because his automatic release clause was that amount, doesn't mean that Spurs bid that sum. Clubs sell sometimes sell players for less than their release clause ... for a whole variety of obvious possible reasons.

20.5m would have broken our record spending on a single player and been 4m more than we paid for Modric.

I strongly doubt that Spurs put in a bid anywhere close to 20.5m ... because there is no way that Spurs would have committed to spend so much on a 19 year-old CB. Levy quite simply would not have sanctioned it. Knowing Harry, he probably got Levy to agree to a "test the water" bid of around 12m.

However, I acknowledge that Man. Utd have a much bigger income and so are in better position to take such big gambles.

Spurs won't be competing with the big boys whilst Levy is calling the shots.

Sarni

You paid £16.5m for Modric who hadn't played outside of Croatia at the time and had no experience at highest level at the time, why wouldn't you pay thr exact same amount for an extremely talented defender with a solid Premier League season under his belt?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yes it is. If he cost 8m and was rubbish, people would say it was a waste of money, the size of the fee is irrelevant.
What nonsense.

So if he had cost 60m it would be the same sort of gamble as if he had cost 8m?

It's transparently obvious that the size of the gamble is directly related to the fee involved.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

You should have bid £30m based on all sorts of Spurs success clauses that will never be fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.