Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Agreed, i fancy IF it is true that we've basically said to Blackburn we'll chuck in a few potential success/performance related instalments to sweeten the deal and get this shit over with, the basic figure is the release clause.
I sincerely hope we haven't.

If we've met the buy-out clause that should be it.

Surely it's when you're negotiating without any specific buy-out clause that add ons are given to sweeten the deal.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Agreed, i fancy IF it is true that we've basically said to Blackburn we'll chuck in a few potential success/performance related instalments to sweeten the deal and get this shit over with, the basic figure is the release clause.
Either that or the terms of the original deal were not clarified particularly well to the media. Regardless, hopeully it's all sorted now and we can look forward to seeing him alongside Smalling against Spain tonight! :drool:

Kaos

What exactly is the issue?

If Jones does have this reported £16million buy-out-clause on his contract, then there's surely feck all Blackburn can do if we've matched it, AND if the player has already agreed terms. Are they deliberately trying to inconvenience us or are they convinced they can genuinely ignore the terms of the clause and push for a better deal?

Number7

Ret's Slave
Dalglish Getting Embarrassed By Fergie Again?

“Keane is the hottest prospect in football right now,” Brian Clough said of Roy in his last season at Nottingham Forest. Jack Walker was trying to buy Blackburn success, something he would later go on to achieve, and Kenny Dalglish identified Keane as the man to take the club forward in 1993. Initially speaking to the player whilst under contract and behind the back of his club, Blackburn beat off interest from Arsenal, and went on to have a bid of £4m accepted.

It was Friday afternoon, Dalglish wanted the paperwork on the deal to go through, but there was no one still around in the Ewood Park offices so Keane couldn’t sign. No big deal, thought the Scot, it will wait until Monday.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson had just helped Manchester United win their first title in 26 years and was looking to take the team forward. Captain Bryan Robson was on his last legs and we would need someone else to fight our battles in the centre of the park. Why Fergie hadn’t spotted Keane before then is a puzzle but the manager got him on the phone on Sunday lunch time.

After establishing that nothing had been signed with Blackburn, Ferguson invited Keane to Manchester. The manager met Roy at the airport and drove him to his house where they played a game of snooker.

“I liked him straight away,” said Roy. “For a man managing Manchester United, he was unaffected, funny and reassuringly human. He was also clearly hungry for more trophies. There were a few obstacles to overcome before a deal could be done. We agreed that I would tell Dalglish our deal was off.”

Unsurprisingly, King Kenny wasn’t too pleased to hear that Sir Alex had snatched his star man from under his nose. In his autobiography, Keane reflected on that conversation:

“What the feck do you mean? We shook hands on a deal. You can’t back out now.”

“Look, I’m sorry, I really am,” I told him, “but I’ve got my future to think about, I’m entitled to that.”

“You’re entitled to nothing except the commitment you made to me on Friday.”

“I’m sorry, if you’d had the forms ready, I would have signed on Friday.”

“Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You’re a wee bastard and you won’t get away with this.” Kenny wasn’t cool any longer.

I felt very uneasy about the situation. But here was Kenny Dalglish insisting that I honour a deal I hadn’t signed. The same Kenny Dalglish who’d spent several months “tapping” me up behind Brian Clough’s back. The more he swore at me, the less my conscience bothered me.

Dalglish wasn’t finished there though. The following day, 6.30 in the morning, the Scot was back on the phone:

You won’t get away with this,” he began. “Blackburn Rovers will sue you for every penny you’ve got.” He and Ferguson had never got on and this more than anything appeared to be bugging him. He called me names. He repeated that nobody “fecked” with Kenny Dalglish and “got away with it”. I told him I was going on holiday and that the matter was closed as far as I was concerned.

So, he didn’t sign for Arsenal, or Blackburn, because they’re shite. He signed for Man United because they’re fecking dynamite.

Imagine Dalglish’s frustration 18 years later, back in charge of Liverpool now, having just witnessed Ferguson lead United to a record 19th title, when he misses out on yet another great prospect. Phil Jones, the lad tipped to be future England captain, was favourite to sign for Liverpool. The papers claimed a deal would be done later that day, only for it to be reported that he was having a medical with United. Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool were amongst the clubs that had bids accepted, yet Jones opted to sign for us. Arsenal even offered him better wages but he turned them down.

However, Blackburn’s owners have thrown a spanner in the works, having got wind of how highly rated this lad is. The £16.5m release clause in his contract has been activated, making it irrelevant how much money they want for him. This didn’t stop Liverpool bidding £22m for the player who has already turned them down in favour of United yesterday.

The player’s agent has told the papers that the deal with United is still on, with it set to be announced today, as this is where the player wants to go. The Venky’s were under the impression the release clause meant clubs were allowed to talk to the player which is why Dalglish, in his desperation, offered £6m more.

As if losing out on the player at the last minute wasn’t embarrassing enough for Liverpool, but throwing money at the situation in the hope that it will get them what they want. Jones has made it clear he wants to play for United, not Liverpool, yet here they are, offering £6m above the release clause, with Dalglish clearly not happy about being done by Fergie again.

Phil Jones’ agent has confirmed that the deal is done and should be announced soon, as the release clause can’t be challenged by the Blackburn owners. The agent confirmed that Jones had met with all four clubs who had offered the release clause and chose United.

Quotes were attributed to Jones, who is set to play alongside our Chris Smalling in today’s England U-21 game against Spain, which suggested if he wanted to continue winning nothing in his career, he would have stayed at Blackburn.

He didn’t sign for Arsenal, or the scousers because they’re shite. He signed for Man United because they’re fecking dynamite.

:lol: I enjoyed this article

Rednails

The ST's Jonathon Norcroft says that Jones will sign for United when he returns from the European Championships after Blackburn's owners, Venky's, abandoned attempts to prevent the transfer. Venky's had challenged Jones' right to exercise a clause in his contract allowing him to join any club willing to pay £16.5m plus £4m add-ons but their position proved untenable. Jone's contract, renewed in February, was approved by a club executive and the clause was inserted by a Rovers representative. Liverpool thought they had persuaded Jones to sign but it was Ferguson's entreaties that most impressed Jones and his parents.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I dont see why you are so quick to believe United are paying more than they needed to. Blackburn and Venkys have been made to look clueless. You can bet they are spinning now that they have gotten more cash by playing hardball. But I doubt United are paying more than contratually obliged, no matter what the bin dippers think.

charleysurf

The ST's Jonathon Norcroft says that Jones will sign for United when he returns from the European Championships after Blackburn's owners, Venky's, abandoned attempts to prevent the transfer. Venky's had challenged Jones' right to exercise a clause in his contract allowing him to join any club willing to pay £16.5m plus £4m add-ons but their position proved untenable. Jone's contract, renewed in February, was approved by a club executive and the clause was inserted by a Rovers representative. Liverpool thought they had persuaded Jones to sign but it was Ferguson's entreaties that most impressed Jones and his parents.
That would back up my thoughts that united are paying exactly what is in the contract.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi

“Keane is the hottest prospect in football right now,” Brian Clough said of Roy in his last season at Nottingham Forest. Jack Walker was trying to buy Blackburn success, something he would later go on to achieve, and Kenny Dalglish identified Keane as the man to take the club forward in 1993. Initially speaking to the player whilst under contract and behind the back of his club, Blackburn beat off interest from Arsenal, and went on to have a bid of £4m accepted.

It was Friday afternoon, Dalglish wanted the paperwork on the deal to go through, but there was no one still around in the Ewood Park offices so Keane couldn’t sign. No big deal, thought the Scot, it will wait until Monday.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson had just helped Manchester United win their first title in 26 years and was looking to take the team forward. Captain Bryan Robson was on his last legs and we would need someone else to fight our battles in the centre of the park. Why Fergie hadn’t spotted Keane before then is a puzzle but the manager got him on the phone on Sunday lunch time.

After establishing that nothing had been signed with Blackburn, Ferguson invited Keane to Manchester. The manager met Roy at the airport and drove him to his house where they played a game of snooker.

“I liked him straight away,” said Roy. “For a man managing Manchester United, he was unaffected, funny and reassuringly human. He was also clearly hungry for more trophies. There were a few obstacles to overcome before a deal could be done. We agreed that I would tell Dalglish our deal was off.”

Unsurprisingly, King Kenny wasn’t too pleased to hear that Sir Alex had snatched his star man from under his nose. In his autobiography, Keane reflected on that conversation:

“Look, I’m sorry, I really am,” I told him, “but I’ve got my future to think about, I’m entitled to that.”

“Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You’re a wee bastard and you won’t get away with this.” Kenny wasn’t cool any longer.

I felt very uneasy about the situation. But here was Kenny Dalglish insisting that I honour a deal I hadn’t signed. The same Kenny Dalglish who’d spent several months “tapping” me up behind Brian Clough’s back. The more he swore at me, the less my conscience bothered me.

Dalglish wasn’t finished there though. The following day, 6.30 in the morning, the Scot was back on the phone:

You won’t get away with this,” he began. “Blackburn Rovers will sue you for every penny you’ve got.” He and Ferguson had never got on and this more than anything appeared to be bugging him. He called me names. He repeated that nobody “fecked” with Kenny Dalglish and “got away with it”. I told him I was going on holiday and that the matter was closed as far as I was concerned.

So, he didn’t sign for Arsenal, or Blackburn, because they’re shite. He signed for Man United because they’re fecking dynamite.

Imagine Dalglish’s frustration 18 years later, back in charge of Liverpool now, having just witnessed Ferguson lead United to a record 19th title, when he misses out on yet another great prospect. Phil Jones, the lad tipped to be future England captain, was favourite to sign for Liverpool. The papers claimed a deal would be done later that day, only for it to be reported that he was having a medical with United. Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool were amongst the clubs that had bids accepted, yet Jones opted to sign for us. Arsenal even offered him better wages but he turned them down.

However, Blackburn’s owners have thrown a spanner in the works, having got wind of how highly rated this lad is. The £16.5m release clause in his contract has been activated, making it irrelevant how much money they want for him. This didn’t stop Liverpool bidding £22m for the player who has already turned them down in favour of United yesterday.

The player’s agent has told the papers that the deal with United is still on, with it set to be announced today, as this is where the player wants to go. The Venky’s were under the impression the release clause meant clubs were allowed to talk to the player which is why Dalglish, in his desperation, offered £6m more.

As if losing out on the player at the last minute wasn’t embarrassing enough for Liverpool, but throwing money at the situation in the hope that it will get them what they want. Jones has made it clear he wants to play for United, not Liverpool, yet here they are, offering £6m above the release clause, with Dalglish clearly not happy about being done by Fergie again.

Phil Jones’ agent has confirmed that the deal is done and should be announced soon, as the release clause can’t be challenged by the Blackburn owners. The agent confirmed that Jones had met with all four clubs who had offered the release clause and chose United.

Quotes were attributed to Jones, who is set to play alongside our Chris Smalling in today’s England U-21 game against Spain, which suggested if he wanted to continue winning nothing in his career, he would have stayed at Blackburn.

He didn’t sign for Arsenal, or the scousers because they’re shite. He signed for Man United because they’re fecking dynamite.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comedy gold, who the feck does Dalglish think he is? "you dont feck with me" :lol::lol: i bet Keane pissed himself laughing for days after that, silly old twat dalglish.

Silva

:lol: brilliant

RonaldoVII

“Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You’re a wee bastard and you won’t get away with this.”

:lol::lol::lol: I guess Keane is still waiting for the retribution.

Silva

Am I the only one hoping Jones' takes them to court, has his contract made void and comes to us for free? That'd really stick it the fecking Venky's. The utter dipshits.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

:lol:

Kelvin

Jones deal nears completion

Phil Jones will finally become a Manchester United player next week with lawyers from the two warring clubs working out the details of the player's transfer valuation, according to ESPNsoccernet sources.

ESPNsoccernet has been informed that once Manchester United reach the magic mark of £20 million that Blackburn Rovers want then Jones will become a United player.

The 'compromise' being thrashed out at the moment between the two sets of lawyers revolves around United winning trophies and Jones' appearances, which could make the transfer worth in excess of £20 million depending on United's capacity to continue to win silverware on a regular basis, and the player's ability to hold down a place in the team.

A figure of £20 million, though, will be reasonably attainable, and that will be the generally-accepted figure of Jones' value.

An insider suggested that it was pointless for Liverpool to bid £22 million, as widely reported, as the player has signed a contract for Manchester United made up his mind to go to Old Trafford.

Blackburn were incensed that they have to sell at the price being quoted when the player was valued at £25 million, while United are annoyed that they should pay anything more, as that £16 million was the price stipulated in the get-out clause.

"The two sets of lawyers are sorting it out, and there is sure to be a compromise by the middle of next week," said the well-connected Ewood Park source.

War over as Jones deal nears completion - ESPN Soccernet

we bow down to their demands in the end then :(

charleysurf

Jones deal nears completion

Phil Jones will finally become a Manchester United player next week with lawyers from the two warring clubs working out the details of the player's transfer valuation, according to ESPNsoccernet sources.

ESPNsoccernet has been informed that once Manchester United reach the magic mark of £20 million that Blackburn Rovers want then Jones will become a United player.

The 'compromise' being thrashed out at the moment between the two sets of lawyers revolves around United winning trophies and Jones' appearances, which could make the transfer worth in excess of £20 million depending on United's capacity to continue to win silverware on a regular basis, and the player's ability to hold down a place in the team.

A figure of £20 million, though, will be reasonably attainable, and that will be the generally-accepted figure of Jones' value.

An insider suggested that it was pointless for Liverpool to bid £22 million, as widely reported, as the player has signed a contract for Manchester United made up his mind to go to Old Trafford.

Blackburn were incensed that they have to sell at the price being quoted when the player was valued at £25 million, while United are annoyed that they should pay anything more, as that £16 million was the price stipulated in the get-out clause.

"The two sets of lawyers are sorting it out, and there is sure to be a compromise by the middle of next week," said the well-connected Ewood Park source.

War over as Jones deal nears completion - ESPN Soccernet
Don't believe a word of it. Just spin from Blackburn to make it look like they have gotten more money from united.

Venkys are hardly going to come out and admit they've been clueless about what a buyout clause means. They're just trying to save face.

charleysurf

feck off, why should we have to compromise when Blackburn have no choice in the issue?
Why is everyone so quick to believe that United have caved in and are paying more than they have to?

prateik

Like I said, if its more than the release clause, then we are paying it in installments and not upfront

either way, if its done this quickly, I'd imagine we are fine with it and dont see any reason to haggle.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

:lol::lol:
Keano <3

Amir

Don't believe a word of it. Just spin from Blackburn to make it look like they have gotten more money from united.

Venkys are hardly going to come out and admit they've been clueless about what a buyout clause means. They're just trying to save face.
Possible. There's no doubt the only side feeding information to ESPN Soccernet has been Blackburn, not us.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So the original price you got him for was 16.5 million + 4 million add ons (like number of games played and winning the league, etc)?

Surely you lot believe you will win the league again? So doesn't that equate to 20 million whether one off or broken down? That may have been the original deal all along, but at least its coming out in the wash.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have the same arrangement for Henderson. Except it will take some doing to get to the semi's of the CL and winning the league for us. :) :(

x42bn6

So the original price you got him for was 16.5 million + 4 million add ons (like number of games played and winning the league, etc)?

Surely you lot believe you will win the league again? So doesn't that equate to 20 million whether one off or broken down? That may have been the original deal all along, but at least its coming out in the wash.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have the same arrangement for Henderson. Except it will take some doing to get to the semi's of the CL and winning the league for us. :) :(
The face value is always more in installments because "$100 today is worth more than $100 next year". It's always financially better to get everything in one lump sum.

And Liverpool were still prepared to bid even more

Wes

maybe your clause is something more achievable. Like eighth.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
What a shame for Blackburn that they put a buy out clause in Jones's contract in the first place.

If they hadn't they could probably have negotiated a much higher fee.

Ah well, they'll learn from that mistake I presume. Might help them in future dealings, if anyone wants to deal with them after this. Doesn't reflect well when you try to twist your own legal documents.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
What a shame for Blackburn that they put a buy out clause in Jones's contract in the first place.

If they hadn't they could probably have negotiated a much higher fee.

Ah well, they'll learn from that mistake I presume. Might help them in future dealings, if anyone wants to deal with them after this. Doesn't reflect well when you try to twist your own legal documents.
If they hadn't Jones wouldn't have signed his new contract and they'd have been looking at him leaving for free at the end of his old one.

Strange thing about contracts, there's two sides.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

:lol::lol:

"Nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish."

What a monumental arsehole.

Sam

What a farce this has turned into. The sooner this is sorted, either way, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.