Phil Jones

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This is why there's still a newbie forum:

Thought he was class today, easily his best game in a United strip, still don't rate him tho'
Why would I want him to fail? he's no better than Phil Neville was at the same age, I was worried when I seen he was starting at centre back V City but he played well.
I think he was way over-priced and for me he should be fifth choice centre back.
Capello and Sir Bobby compare him to Baresi and Edwards, this guy compares him to Phil Neville...

Widnes

I'm so glad we signed Phil Jones and not the guy who is apparently twice the player at half the price. Think he is going to be great, he isn't ready to play CB first choice so have no problem with him getting game time at RB & CM as playing at the top level will only help him get better.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Pretty sure a journalist said it, someone who's supposed to be an expert on South American football.

Ekeke

:lol: I remember I said Coates looks as good as Jones and Smalling when I saw him playing for Uruguay. Hasnt looked half the player at Liverpool

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wallwork...

is he not in the nick?
He might be just about done by my count, got a bit over a year if memory serves - it depends on exactly when he started serving. Still, he probably has Internet in the nick - it's bloody Butlin's these days, and so on and so forth.

Fencing, wasn't it? For some reason - and I hope it's an entirely unfair comparison - the image of Ravel M. popped up in my head when I read Wallwork's name. Not that Ronnie was ever considered the new Best or anything - but he was a very decent prospect at one time.

jb8521

He might be just about done by my count, got a bit over a year if memory serves - it depends on exactly when he started serving. Still, he probably has Internet in the nick - it's bloody Butlin's these days, and so on and so forth.

Fencing, wasn't it? For some reason - and I hope it's an entirely unfair comparison - the image of Ravel M. popped up in my head when I read Wallwork's name. Not that Ronnie was ever considered the new Best or anything - but he was a very decent prospect at one time.
Speaking of ravel is that him in that photo behind the lad in the blue jacket?

Brwned

Meltdown alert. He already said he was going to play Jones in the middle. You just have to get over that.

"Two of the players played with an injury throughout the [Villa] game," Sir Alex told MUTV. "Jonny Evans and Michael Carrick. Next week, I should have Vida and Rio back and I can put Jones into the middle of the pitch and play Vida and Rio together and we'll get the experience going to Arsenal.
He sees him every week and clearly thinks that playing in the most difficult position on the pitch against top opposition is something he's capable of. Maybe we'll see some sort of meteoric rise in his development in that position or maybe he'll be moved back to centre back and this experience will benefit him when he's making Baresi-esque (:angel:) runs from the back but he clearly thinks the world of Jones so he's obviously seen a lot more than we have. Young players' development is rarely a smooth process so he'll have some shockers there just as Fletcher or Welbeck or the various others did in positions that they were getting used to but you'll just have to have a bit of patience that it will benefit us in the long-term. Maybe he thinks Jones is doing a great job there relative to his age, maybe Jones has a great attitude to self-improvement and this will accelerate his development or maybe he just wants someone in there who can run all day and stick a boot in. Who knows, but you're better off getting used to it rather than complaining every time because it's obviously going to happen a lot. No-one thought Welbeck was any good on the wing in the beginning but after 30-odd games he's now looking a more rounded, mature player overall and a useful option in that position.

I think he's been good pretty much every time he's played in a midfield two or given a specific, defensive task but every other time he's either been played in the wrong position or he's abused the freedom afforded to him and failed to command his own position in a fluid midfield trio. Looks like we'll be playing that fluid midfield trio again so hopefully we've told Rooney to push further forward or Jones takes it upon himself to play the role that suits him best.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Meltdown alert. He already said he was going to play Jones in the middle. You just have to get over that.

He sees him every week and clearly thinks that playing in the most difficult position on the pitch against top opposition is something he's capable of. Maybe we'll see some sort of meteoric rise in his development in that position or maybe he'll be moved back to centre back and this experience will benefit him when he's making Baresi-esque (:angel:) runs from the back but he clearly thinks the world of Jones so he's obviously seen a lot more than we have. Young players' development is rarely a smooth process so he'll have some shockers there just as Fletcher or Welbeck or the various others did in positions that they were getting used to but you'll just have to have a bit of patience that it will benefit us in the long-term. Maybe he thinks Jones is doing a great job there relative to his age, maybe Jones has a great attitude to self-improvement and this will accelerate his development or maybe he just wants someone in there who can run all day and stick a boot in. Who knows, but you're better off getting used to it rather than complaining every time because it's obviously going to happen a lot. No-one thought Welbeck was any good on the wing in the beginning but after 30-odd games he's now looking a more rounded, mature player overall and a useful option in that position.

I think he's been good pretty much every time he's played in a midfield two or given a specific, defensive task but every other time he's either been played in the wrong position or he's abused the freedom afforded to him and failed to command his own position in a fluid midfield trio. Looks like we'll be playing that fluid midfield trio again so hopefully we've told Rooney to push further forward or Jones takes it upon himself to play the role that suits him best.
This is the thing that few people seem to understand.

elisha27

I was surprised at Fergie's comments but he'll be seeing things we don't, and all in all Jones has had a decent season playing multiple positions. I hope next season he plays more often at CB.
I think it's more that Ferguson just seems to come out one or two of these eye-rolling quotes per season. Last season we had 'Cleverley is the best midfield player in the country' and this year 'Robin van Persie could have been killed'.

Phil Jones could well go on to be a very good player for us, but Fergie is just being way OTT here.

binary bot
Never have I seen a player look less available for a pass while in midfield, he stands behind opposition players!

Baxter

Never ever a midfield player. Very good in defence but I don't know what Fergie sees in him to pick him in the middle.

Ash_G

Tbf he was involved in a really nice move where his ability to burst forward really helped and almost got a second. He's looked lacing in sharpness but so have the majority of players.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Never ever a midfield player. Very good in defence but I don't know what Fergie sees in him to pick him in the middle.
He sees him as an option, surely that's the only reason until we actually play a midfielder there. Someone like Cleverley maybe?

Baxter

He sees him as an option, surely that's the only reason until we actually play a midfielder there. Someone like Cleverley maybe?
Wonder what Cleverley has done. Been benchwarming for weeks.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Never have I seen a player look less available for a pass while in midfield, he stands behind opposition players!
Exactly this. It leaves the whole team with a problem because it means the man on the ball has less options and becomes easier to isolate.

Its obvious he isn't good enough technically to be a quality midfielder, which is what a club of our standards requires. He even knows it himself, hence why he hides when we have possession deep in our half and he is also afraid to make angles in case he receives the ball in a tight space.

Its almost not fair on Jones because he is a fantastic prospect at CH, but playing him in midfield exposes his flaws.

Why is fergie is on a mission to try and convince everyone he is a midfielder?

Ash_G

Tbf a lot of the problems Cleverley has are similar to Jones, both can be too eager to get involved and compromise their positioning as a result.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Exactly this. It leaves the whole team with a problem because it means the man on the ball has less options and becomes easier to isolate.

Its obvious he isn't good enough technically to be a quality midfielder, which is what a club of our standards requires. He even knows it himself, hence why he hides when we have possession deep in our half and he is also afraid to make angles in case he receives the ball in a tight space.

Its almost not fair on Jones because he is a fantastic prospect at CH, but playing him in midfield exposes his flaws.

Why is fergie is on a mission to try and convince everyone he is a midfielder?
Its not almost unfair it simply is unfair. Jones will be a top quality centre back making him run around the middle of the pitch aimlessly is not helping him develop.

Godfather

Can't remember him playing a single forward pass. His man-marking of Rosicky doesnt work neither and his headers up front are shocking.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
thought he had a decent half - he's offered more going forward than Rooney has, almost scored twice with good runs from deep - passing and positioning needs work admittedly

Brwned

Can't remember him playing a single forward pass. His man-marking of Rosicky doesnt work neither and his headers up front are shocking.
So you missed him playing a one-two with Rooney to take their midfield out of the game before playing it out to van Persie for his first missed header? He does that kind of driving run well and he can play a pass once he's created that space, it's just what he does when there's no space to play in that's the problem. And then there's the fact he still doesn't know where to position himself at any point.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It's almost like a centre-back is playing in midfield when he plays in midfield.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So you missed him playing a one-two with Rooney to take their midfield out of the game before playing it out to van Persie for his first missed header? He does that kind of driving run well and he can play a pass once he's created that space, it's just what he does when there's no space to play in that's the problem. And then there's the fact he still doesn't know where to position himself at any point.
Yeah, I can see what gets SAF excited, but that moment towards the end when Rio had to go past two players described him to a tee. He just stood there behind the two Arse players offering Rio no option than to try go it solo, which would have been dangerous on the break if he didn't succeed.

Sam

He's gonna be an absolute monster of a player, thats evident, and I dont mind him playing in midfield at times. But I just dont think in a two man midfield, against the better teams is the best idea.

Cevno

He was decent.

Just seems positionally lost in Midfield some times. But that should come with experience.