Pilib de Brun

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Every time someone posts his tweets in the Twitter thread we always seem to be split whether he's a bullshiter or not.

I thought we should just have a thread about this and settle this once and for all.

Personally, I've never had a problem with him. Yeah I guess he maybe hedging his bets sometime with regards to players but I think most journos do that.

I asked him in direct messages on twitter, if Jose's deal depended on LVG's top 4 chances and FA Cup success to which he replied that it didn't matter. That all was agreed and he had total agreement with United. I asked him who his source was and he told me it was an agent from Gestefute.

He told me not share that information out but now it's been so long I feel there's no need to keep it secret.

Anyways, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but throughout following him on twitter for years I find him generally reliable.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
I think he should be taken more seriously.

He's certainly more reliable than the likes of Deleaney (who is chief football writer at Independent) and few others that people still post on twitter threads.

cyberman

Isn't there a poster on here who knows him and confirmed he's full of shit?
My take is if a podcaster had the inside track he wouldn't be a podcaster for very long.

Paxi

Isn't there a poster on here who knows him and confirmed he's full of shit?
My take is if a podcaster had the inside track he wouldn't be a podcaster for very long.
I've never heard of anyone that knows him personally on here.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wrong side of 30, can't see us signing him.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I know Phil. He isnt a bullshitter but he tends to fill in blanks. He has legitimate sources in the media and in the game but he isnt a legitimate ITK. He just got lucky and found a gap in the market since he moved to America and had a radio show. He can be a bit of a knob at times but he admits it.

djdhrubs

Every time someone posts his tweets in the Twitter thread we always seem to be split whether he's a bullshiter or not.

I thought we should just have a thread about this and settle this once and for all.
Just like the Di Marzio thread settled things once and for all?!

;)

AkaAkuma

There was a women in the twitter thread who had some sort of relationship with Real Madrid players. The thing with these sources is that they probably do have relationships and hear bits of news, but they don't always know the full story.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He was banned from our twitter thread a few years ago, should have stayed banned. He's full of shit

Also he should be called Pleb

Paxi

I just don't think he should be labelled as a bullshiter without providing some proof first.

Not having a go at the poster who said this, but someone criticised earlier for not even having a blue tick on Twitter. Any fecker can get blue tick these days. I just think it's nit picking and there's in a whole lot of evidence that he's a bad source of information.

Paxi

He was banned from our twitter thread a few years ago, should have stayed banned. He's full of shit

Also he should be called Pleb

But he was banned because of his rants about Glazers if I recall correctly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't rate him. He's more gossip than substance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Personally, I've never had a problem with him. Yeah I guess he maybe hedging his bets sometime with regards to players but I think most journos do that.

I asked him in direct messages on twitter, if Jose's deal depended on LVG's top 4 chances and FA Cup success to which he replied that it didn't matter. That all was agreed and he had total agreement with United. I asked him who his source was and he told me it was an agent from Gestefute.

He told me not share that information out but now it's been so long I feel there's no need to keep it secret.

Anyways, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but throughout following him on twitter for years I find him generally reliable.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
I think he should be taken more seriously.

He's certainly more reliable than the likes of Deleaney (who is chief football writer at Independent) and few others that people still post on twitter threads.
He should definitely be taken more seriously. A LOT more seriously.

Martial

Pilib De Brun was the first Journalist allowed to interview Lukaku after he signed for United, before it was even officially announced.

So it is plain dishonest to say he has no connections at all.

Peanut Butter

I just don't think he should be labelled as a bullshiter without providing some proof first.

Not having a go at the poster who said this, but someone criticised earlier for not even having a blue tick on Twitter. Any fecker can get blue tick these days. I just think it's nit picking and there's in a whole lot of evidence that he's a bad source of information.
That was me (blue tick) and you're right, most people get them now.

And yes, let's find a history of his tweets and see what he got correct/incorrect. We could be harsh on this guy.

I will say: Pilib is classed as a crap source by RedDevils subreddit. So there's a lot of smoke...

Peanut Butter

Pilib De Brun was the first Journalist allowed to interview Lukaku after he signed for United, before it was even officially announced.

Full Time Devils interview Utd players on occasion. Shall we use them as a source for transfers too?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Correct.

Peanut Butter

Can you explain why and put this to bed once and for all? Maybe use some examples (not just the Lukaku interview as that doesn't mean much, they were both in LA and I read that Pilib got lucky.)

I am not disagreeing with you by the way, genuinely interested in who Pilib's sources and contacts are, being out in LA and nowhere near Manchester or our offices/training ground etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That was me (blue tick) and you're right, most people get them now.

And yes, let's find a history of his tweets and see what he got correct/incorrect. We could be harsh on this guy.

I will say: Pilib is classed as a crap source by RedDevils subreddit. So there's a lot of smoke...
Ignore that Reddit page. There is no set of rules when it comes to transfers or which journos get it right. You can't go to Amazon and order the latest copy of "Which journos should definitely be believed and not believed". That's simply not how it works. Journalists get information that they publish. Sometimes the sources are correct and sometimes they aren't, so you have to remain patient and flexible.

FujiVice

Works for NBC. First to interview Lukaku. Has a podcast where he regularly has on ex-United players and staff. Reliable on some things, unreliable on others. Seems like a nice guy.

Shouldnt be banned from the transfer thread but at the same time shouldnt be taken super seriously. Says enough credible things to warrant discussion.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't know why anyone would trust a sport journalist when their livelihood is not remotely dependent on their credibility or integrity, and given the overwhelming evidence that the vast majority of transfer gossip is completely and utterly wrong.

Paxi

i don't recall that - what I do recall was me advocating his ban as a source
Fair enough. I just remember people we're ripping into him cause he went off on his rants which were all posted here.

Castia

I'm not sure how much he says is true but without a doubt he's got connections at the club.

golden_blunder

Staff
Why? There is more evidence from the past 3 seasons that indicate he just speculates/gossips rather than actually knowing more than what goes through the head of our own caf muppets

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why? There is more evidence from the past 3 seasons that indicate he just speculates/gossips rather than actually knowing more than what goes through the head of our own caf muppets
That can be applied to a vast majority of journos. Its best to open up the sources rather than restrict them and then allow the audience to decide.

Paxi

One thing for sure is that Miguel Deleany needs banned. He's probably the worst journo out there. He's up the with Kevin Palmer. In fact I'm starting to think he's worse.

golden_blunder

Staff
That can be applied to a vast majority of journos. Its best to open up the sources rather than restrict them and then allow the audience to decide.
The problem with that is we are seeing more and more copies of shit, hell some tweets that aren't even football related, or from complete nobodies coming through. It's annoying. It was much easier to get straight answers when the Twitter sources were controlled to reliable sources

Chip

Why does he insist on using 'Pilib de Brun' instead of just using his actual name. Seems daft.

Paxi

Why does he insist on using 'Pilib de Brun' instead of just using his actual name. Seems daft.
It's Irish. He's Irish. So I think he's free to do that in all honesty. Be a bit daft if he wasn't though.