Player of the Tournament?

We need an rvn

for me, unless there's a stupendous performance from someone who stands out so far above everyone else (which there wasn't as) , the winner should come from the winning team. Ronnie dragged his team through at times and gets my vote by a mile. Ramsey and Griezmann the other two for sure, but who's the one holding the trophy?

Kostur

海尔的老板
If it was any other nation, a win like that, the captain would get it. Because it's Ronaldo, no one wants to give him any credit.

He really was their best player, his passion and spirit lead them to the win. Undoubtedly it was him pushing his team to higher standards. To keep concentration. He was the 12th man yesterday.

When I look back on this tournament. I'll think of Ronaldo.
No, he really wasn't. Nani, that immense cnut Pepe and Patricio were all better than Ronaldo in their campaign.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
for me, unless there's a stupendous performance from someone who stands out so far above everyone else (which there wasn't as) , the winner should come from the winning team. Ronnie dragged his team through at times and gets my vote by a mile. Ramsey and Griezmann the other two for sure, but who's the one holding the trophy?
By this line of argument, it has to be Eder. Who won the match for the cup...?

Coxy

No, he really wasn't. Nani, that immense cnut Pepe and Patricio were all better than Ronaldo in their campaign.
This. There's some bias on here unsurprisingly perhaps - but you're spot on.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I go for Nani. Many people wrote him off but he's been consistant all tournament. You could say unspectacular, playing in a role that he's not that much experience in. Delighted for him (Sorry for Evra who also had a good tournament)

nick2004

Ronaldo missed a penalty in the goalless draw with Austria but then kicked into gear.

He scored two brilliant goals in the 3-3 draw with Hungary, helped created Ricardo Quaresma's winner late into extra time in the last-16 win against Croatia, scored in the penalty shootout victory against Poland in the quarter-final then broke the deadlock with a towering header in the 2-0 triumph against Wales that put Portugal in the final.

He is the player Portugal looks to and he has led from the front - even when he only watching from the sidelines in Paris.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36761007

worldinmotion66

I'd give it to Pepe, 100%. He was so unbelievably consistent.
For what it's worth, here is my team of the tournament.

Perisic - Griezmann - Nani
Ramsey - Kroos
Guerrero - Corluka - Pepe - Bonucci - Gunter
Buffon

Subs: Neuer, Williams, Boateng, Cedric, Modric, Bale, Ronaldo​

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nani, pepe or griezmann. Payet was a bit shit after the first 2 games. Ramsey if he played in the semis would be in with a shout. Would probably say Pepe, nani 2nd and griezmann 3rd because they lost in the end.

He might have fluffed his big chance to win it but he's still been comfortably the player of the tournament. Hopefully it takes a million or two off what it would cost us to buy him :)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pepe. Griezmann a close second because he scored vital goals against Ireland and Germany.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kroos was good in general. Excellent in the game versus Slovakia.

My top players from Euro 2016
1. Griezmann
2. Bale
3. Nani
4. Ramsey
5. Pepe
Bale was no way second best player in the tournament.

Slavkov

I really cannot think of someone who was very good throughout the whole tournament. This was probably the worst and weakest tournament I have every watched and I have been watching major tournaments since Italia'90. The quality of football was so so low.
If I have to say someone, it has to be one of Bale, Ronaldo and Griezmann. Griezmann had a very good half against Ireland and some ok minutes against Germany and Iceland but nothing more... Ronaldo won the game for Portugal against Wales and was very good against Iceland but in the other games he was non present. Bale was very influential for Wales as well but again nothing extraordinary. 1.Ronaldo 2.Bale 3.Griezmann has to be my choice but I again want to stress that the quality of the tournament was a total joke, a really poor one...

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

No one really set the world alight with his game, plenty had a maximum of two good games but were anonymous for the rest of the tournament. In terms of putting in top class performances while also retaining a high level throughout the tournament, i'd go with Ramsey, Kroos and Carvalho (the latter in a very specified role given to him by Santos). Pepe had a great tournament too but had Gignac's shot gone a couple of inches to the right, the internet would be full of gifs of him "disappearing" from the tv screen after the dribble.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Because it's Ronaldo, no one wants to give him any credit.

He really was their best player, his passion and spirit lead them to the win.
He really, really wasn't. He was the focus of all the media and opponent's attention and acted like it, but Pepe and Nani were better and more crucial to the eventual victory

arnie_ni

Pepe was awful against Hungary and was at fault for the 2 free kicks they scored from

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Pepe or Birkir Bjarnason. He covered 5 positions in the tournament and did it well. Was much more involved in games than Griezmann who was very quiet if you count the minutes, did score when it mattered.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Oops I should have added not necessarily in that order.
I hope you agree that Bale was among the top 5.
Nowhere near although I am a Bale fan I thought Ramsay was better plus I thought Bale will do well to get anywhere near the top 10 for the Euros. Goals aside I thought he was rather average for Bale.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Official UEFA EURO 2016 Team of the Tournament:
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2389933.html

Rui Patricio - Kimmich, Pepe, Boateng, Guerreiro - Kroos, Allen - Ramsey, Griezmann, Payet - Ronaldo

all in all quite ok, but I might have put Bale instead of Ramsey
Bale instead of Ramsey and Ramsey in midfield alongside Kroos, otherwise it’s fine. You could always have more players from the teams that went out earlier, as in Iceland’s gk for example, but this is the way it goes, you gotta apparently gotta make semis to be considered.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The team was selected by UEFA's 13-strong panel of technical observers, led by UEFA chief technical officer Ioan Lupescu and including Sir Alex Ferguson, Alain Giresse, David Moyes, Packie Bonner, Mixu Paatelainen, Savo Milošević, Peter Rudbæk, Gareth Southgate, Thomas Schaaf, Jean-François Domergue, Ginés Meléndez and Jean-Paul Brigger.
:nervous:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Nowhere near although I am a Bale fan I thought Ramsay was better plus I thought Bale will do well to get anywhere near the top 10 for the Euros. Goals aside I thought he was rather average for Bale.
I'd agree with this. I think Bales performances were overrated due to him scoring 3 goals, 2 of which were freekicks that i thought were terrible goalkeeping errors. Ramsey had comfortably a better tournament imo.

BarcaSpurs

Can't have any complains about Griezmann winning it really when you consider the whole picture but I find it slightly strange that he hasn't seemed to receive any criticism after missing 2 massive chances in the final, wasn't able to watch the match, can anyone tell me how his all round performance was? could possibly say it could have gone to a Portuguese defender, probably Pepe, after conceding just 1 goal throughout the knockout stages but I generally feel great defensive performances should be credited to the collective rather than any individual.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can't have any complains about Griezmann winning it really when you consider the whole picture but I find it slightly strange that he hasn't seemed to receive any criticism after missing 2 massive chances in the final, wasn't able to watch the match, can anyone tell me how his all round performance was? could possibly say it could have gone to a Portuguese defender, probably Pepe, after conceding just 1 goal throughout the knockout stages but I generally feel great defensive performances should be credited to the collective rather than any individual.
He did very well in forcing the keeper to make a save from a previous half chance. But overall he was tracked down well from an organised Portugese defence.

Gone are the days where a CB wins major awards, sadly :(

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah has to be the Grease.

Pepe had a very good tournie too.

BarcaSpurs

He did very well in forcing the keeper to make a save from a previous half chance. But overall he was tracked down well from an organised Portugese defence.

Gone are the days where a CB wins major awards, sadly :(
it's never really been a thing, no defender has ever won the World Cup player of the tournament, only Beckenbauer, Sammer and Cannavaro have won the Ballon D'or or Fifa world player of the year and the first 2 were pretty unique players (I don't know much about Sammer but I believe he played as a sweeper similar to Beckenbauer) who played roles that don't really exist in the modern game.