Player of the Tournament?

Sigma

I'd give it to Pepe without thinking twice.

But Eder deserves to be mentioned in this thread. So many times we speak of "delivering it when it matters" and this was the perfect example of it. A player everyone mocks, so lowly regarded to the point of his team playing without a CF even with all the problems that entails. Yet he's subbed into the final and did everything right. Won almost every ball thrown at him, won a few fouls, nearly scored a goal with a great header and then went on to win the tournament. After the 90' you could see Ronaldo hugging him and motivating him for the extra time, they knew they could count on him that day. He'll always be remembered, is now part of the history books in Portugal, and that wasn't due to being lucky or being in the right place at the right time. He fully deserved it today. It's among the most sensational of football stories for me.
Good post

arnie_ni

Portugals left back has been very good. If we didn't have Shaw id take a look at him as signing. No idea who he even plays for, great attacking left back, beautiful crosses, and solid defensively.

Massive upgrade on contrao who used to play there.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Portugals left back has been very good. If we didn't have Shaw id take a look at him as signing. No idea who he even plays for, great attacking left back, beautiful crosses, and solid defensively.

Massive upgrade on contrao who used to play there.
Dortmund bought him this summer.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Renato Sanches won Young Player of the Tournament FYI.

Griezmann has the Golden Boot.

Griezmann player of the tournament or Nani.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Griezmann or Pepe are probably the most reasonable shouts, to be honest.

I felt like Ramsey was on for it if not for the suspension. His body of work was very impressive.

baanke laal

banned
Sissoko. If any of the Liverpool scouts are reading this, buy him for 50m.

If not Sissoko then it has to be Harry Kane for his free kicks or Zaza for that penalty.

ricky-romeo

Got to be Griezmann. Very poor in the final though.

As for portugal, their best player would be pepe. Defensively they were immensed. Credit to santos for bringing in fonte to partner pepe. He made the necessary changes throughout this competition. The left back rafael was brilliant as well. Nani showed his maturity and special mentioned to the goalkeeper and captain also.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't understand the Griezmann being terrible in the final comments. He was the only useful player France had going forward aside from Sissoko(sp).

It'd have to be one of Griezmann, Pepe, or Nani.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Griezmann or Pepe are probably the most reasonable shouts, to be honest.

I felt like Ramsey was on for it if not for the suspension. His body of work was very impressive.
Kroos was excellent

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Wasn't Griezmann good in only 2 matches and invisible in the rest?
The 2 goals vs Germany were a pen and a defensive error.
Think Payet did better for them in more matches.
No way, Payet started to fade after the group stages as Griezmann became more influential.

Devil81

Any one of the four Portugal defenders are in with a shout, I'd favour Pepe as well.

Smores

Hadn't really considered him but on reflection I'd agree with those saying Pepe.

I expect it'll be Greizemen though just because he's got the golden boot and attackers are favoured.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It was an insanely boring tournament where no one really stood out. Liked Pepe, Bonucci and Griezmann.

Two players that I hadn't seen before and who impressed me were: The Portuguese FB who is moving to BVB (Raphael Guerreiro?) and the Albanian RB.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Sanches was named best young player, with Coman runner up. Nice prospects for Bayern. ;)
Oh, and 3d place goes to Dortmund's Raphael Guerreiro - nice result for the Bundesliga as well.

GBBQ

Had France won it would have undoubtedly been Griezmann but I suspect a Portuguese player should get the nod. But Pepe just feels so wrong.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Had France won it would have undoubtedly been Griezmann but I suspect a Portuguese player should get the nod. But Pepe just feels so wrong.
With regard to this whole tournament it's somehow right again. But still wrong. You know.

Zen

It's Griezmann and it's not really close. Portugal winning....I'd struggle to put a non-Ronaldo player of theirs, maybe Nani in a team of the tournament with subs.

Joke of a tournament.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pepe
Ramsey
Griezmann

Pepe wasn't that impressive in the group (although immense in play-offs), plus Gignac almost scored a winner after making fool out of him but he's still Portugal's best player (and it seems only logical to pick a defender after such boring tournament)
Ramsey was consistently brilliant - probably the only player on the tournament to do so. Suspension robbed him of becoming PotT
Griezmann had off games, but his end product is impressive

Andy_Cole

If it was any other nation, a win like that, the captain would get it. Because it's Ronaldo, no one wants to give him any credit.

He really was their best player, his passion and spirit lead them to the win. Undoubtedly it was him pushing his team to higher standards. To keep concentration. He was the 12th man yesterday.

When I look back on this tournament. I'll think of Ronaldo.