Players fans don't rate but managers love them...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Thought this thread was about Eric Dier after the comments from Conte yesterday...

"I think that Eric Dier can become one of the best players in the world in that position," said Conte, ahead of Wednesday's Carabao Cup quarter-final with West Ham, "I think that position is perfect for him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don’t embarrass yourself, I’m guessing you think Stevie G was no more than a very good player?
No. Gerrard was world class and one of the best midfielders of his generation. Which is also how he was generally rated when he was actually playing.

KetilOwren88

What about Mikael Silvestre? He played many games and a lot of fans (me included) were not excactly over the moon for it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No. Gerrard was world class and one of the best midfielders of his generation. Which is also how he was generally rated when he was actually playing.
As was Scholes as was Keane, Gerrard was a Roy of the rovers type so grabbed headlines more than probably Keane and Scholes...you obviously think he was a level above Scholes and probably think he was better than Keane but his best qualities were also part of the reason he wasn’t very successful in his career. Whilst Keane and Scholes understood it was team first.

TsuWave

The classic….the manager is always right post. Do you never disagree with anything a manager does?
These people are insane. The moment you suggest managers aren’t infallible they try to purge you :lol:

TsuWave

Blackwidow

I feel like Muller is appreciated
Not as much as he should be when you see all the publicity votes like Balon d'Or, Fifa Awards etc.

His scoring numbers especially his assist numbers and shot-to-goal ratio are excellent - and he is much more a playmaker today than he used to be - he accumulates preassists, too. He commands the offense and the pressing and is the assistant coach on the pitch (Ghost matches really showed that but his coaches and teammates tell, too). He is the one that triggers the moves, who not only runs till the end but gets the wingers to do the same - it is the whole package of player and personality. And it is him they send out to the press whenever they lose or their is other trouble around the team.

About the coaches - they usually like him. Exception Kovac and to an extent Ancelotti, who just could not puzzle him good enough into his system. Here are the opinions of Klopp and Guardiola (after Süle, Schweinsteiger and Thiago) about him:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Footballs all about opinions, as your opinion piece shows, and you’re welcome to yours. There aren’t many fans anywhere in world football or people within football that would share anything like yours.
Might as well shut down this website then as everything is just opinions and nobody is wrong

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Pep said that the only player on United that would have made the starting 11 of his greatest team ever was Carrick. But what does Pep know. Obviously TheCaf knows more and Carrick was never that good...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Giroud is a great shout. I never warmed to him seeing as it was Ian Wright that made me support Arsenal. After years Wright, Anelka and Henry leading the line, Giroud felt so sluggish. But there was certainly something about him.

Not only did he not score for France during their World Cup win, I think I read somewhere he didn’t even have a shot on target. Yet he was a lynchpin for them.

Yeah that’s exactly the case I think, the aforementioned three were so dynamic and exciting that Giroud suffered in comparison. As you said there was something about him though, the Norwich Wilshere goal where he acted as a platform comes to mind. But considering what had come before and how static he was he could be very frustrating.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah that’s exactly the case I think, the aforementioned three were so dynamic and exciting that Giroud suffered in comparison. As you said there was something about him though, the Norwich Wilshere goal where he acted as a platform comes to mind. But considering what had come before and how static he was he could be very frustrating.
He was very good, from the Chelsea team after Hazard he was always the most dangerous player. His movement was very good too and very good link up player.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pep said that the only player on United that would have made the starting 11 of his greatest team ever was Carrick. But what does Pep know. Obviously TheCaf knows more and Carrick was never that good...
Sorry…but Pep said that Foden was his biggest talent that he’s ever managed.

If you agree with him then you must think Carrick was better than Scholes, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo and Rooney. Absolute tosh.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was very good, from the Chelsea team after Hazard he was always the most dangerous player. His movement was very good too and very good link up player.
That’s a good point, while Giroud was technically very good as well, I’ve underestimated players in the past who might not have been flashy but had excellent positioning and movement. I think a lot of players who could be named in this thread probably often excel in the intangible qualities that aren’t as apparent. Both offensively and defensively it’s so useful to know what positions to pick up, when to make your move, when to hold etc.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

If you agree with him then you must think Carrick was better than Scholes, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo and Rooney. Absolute tosh.
Why are you comparing him to players in different positions? What Pep is saying is that Carrick would get in ahead of Busquets. So for Scholes to get in he'd have to take Iniesta or Xavi's spot. And so on and so on. I don't necessarily agree with what he had said, but it just shows how much under rated Carrick was with most United fans. Lets face it. Most English folk don't quite get it. They think midfielders have to be like Gerrard and Lampard. English folk will say Alonso and Pirlo were great, but if they were English I can guarantee you that they wouldn't feel that way. Want proof? Just look at Carrick. He was basically those players but was never truly appreciated by England and United fans...

Righteous Steps

Why are you comparing him to players in different positions? What Pep is saying is that Carrick would get in ahead of Busquets. So for Scholes to get in he'd have to take Iniesta or Xavi's spot. And so on and so on. I don't necessarily agree with what he had said, but it just shows how much under rated Carrick was with most United fans. Lets face it. Most English folk don't quite get it. They think midfielders have to be like Gerrard and Lampard. English folk will say Alonso and Pirlo were great, but if they were English I can guarantee you that they wouldn't feel that way. Want proof? Just look at Carrick. He was basically those players but was never truly appreciated by England and United fans...
Carrick was never as good as Busquets, he was a type of player dissimilar to what we normally see in that role in England, but so is Jorginho. Jorginho is not all of a sudden better than De Bruyne because he has a more refined style, or takes less risks.

And Pirlo isn’t really comparable to Carrick, he is more comparable to Veratti with less aggression and better long passing, he was a player who would dribble do fancy turns and all sorts of variety of passes so his quality was far more easy to spot out, Alonso is a bit closer in style but again even he had more expansive passing.Carrick was world class also, but still behind Pirlo Alonso and Busquets as far as deep lying playmakers go, I do agree that it should have been one of him Scholes/Hargreaves and one of Lampard and Gerrard for England though, I think he’s rated about right, top player but not as good as Lampard Gerrard or Scholes regardless of his more continental leaning style.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Carrick was never as good as Busquets, he was a type of player dissimilar to what we normally see in that role in England, but so is Jorginho. Jorginho is not all of a sudden better than De Bruyne because he has a more refined style, or takes less risks.

And Pirlo isn’t really comparable to Carrick, he is more comparable to Veratti with less aggression and better long passing, he was a player who would dribble do fancy turns and all sorts of variety of passes so his quality was far more easy to spot out, Alonso is a bit closer in style but again even he had more expansive passing.Carrick was world class also, but still behind Pirlo Alonso and Busquets as far as deep lying playmakers go, I do agree that it should have been one of him Scholes/Hargreaves and one of Lampard and Gerrard for England though, I think he’s rated about right, top player but not as good as Lampard Gerrard or Scholes regardless of his more continental leaning style.
He really wasn't behind those other midfielders mentioned. He just wasn't appreciated as much as he would have been had he been Spanish or Italian. Let's face it...English folk don't know nearly as much about football as they think they do...

P0GBA

Knowing Pep it was probably a sarcastic comment because Carrick gifted Eto the goal in the 2009 Champions League Final.

Blackwidow

Pep said he wants to have 1000 Dantes... and did not play him. He soon after left the club...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Just done some digging on this because you keep bleating on about it. These stories came out in 2017 when Carrick was retiring just before his last derby. In his press conference Pep was asked about the English players at United and heaped praise on Carrick, then Rashford and Lingard were mentioned, he went on to talk about Pogba.

A few newspapers ran the headline that day about Carrick being the only player (from that squad) who would make his Barcelona side but I’ve watched the full presser and embargoed section and he never actually says that in that press conference. He says how good he feels Carrick is, but nothing about Barcelona.

In the same interview he said ‘England is safe because of Lingard’

Sorry but can you get me the clip of him actually saying this, and in what context he said it, because these headlines don’t match here what was said by Pep in this presser….so I’m guessing the media perhaps peiced two stories together or else they made up a headline loosely around some comments from Pep.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiola-says-michael-carrick-10307986

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Agree. I should've said that I personally rate him but most rival fans don't, nor even a lot of Utd fans.
Fred was the first name I thought of for this thread. I dont have anything against Fred personally (he's a tidy little player tbf), its just really frustrating that a club like ours (or any pro club really!) should be playing someone as a DM who cant tackle, its embarrassing. Yes he has a great engine, yes his first touch is really good, but he isnt a DM simple as. Two MOM's under Ralf playing more as a CM doesnt lie though, albeit against lesser teams.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m guessing you can’t find the actual quote?

I don’t think he actually said it. I can’t find it anywhere?

GueRed

For United:

Carrick (it took fecking years for him to get respect. Some to this day still find time to shit on him...)
McClair
Fletcher
Young
O'Shea
Cole (ridiculed. fans were split till 98/99)
Phil Neville
Gary Neville
McTominay
Maguire
Valencia
Apart from Valencia all British/Irish...alot of them homegrown...

There is a lot of anti-english/British amongst our fanbase.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Somehow Jordan Ayew keeps starting for Crystal Palace even though I rarely see him doing something of note. Abysmal scoring record and whenever he gets the ball it seems that he's made a diagonal run towards the corner flag and passes it back to the full back. Keeps starting so I guess he must be doing something right, but apart from decent but not noteworthy work rate I can't really see what he offers.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mr excitement himself. Christmas cracker hat and a non alcholic drink.
Fair play to him that he didn't post some cringey pictures of himself in a Christmas onesie like some of his colleagues.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
David Luiz is surely the man for this thread.
In the mould of Mings too he's a truly awful defender for a so-called elite.

Just awful and appears to be a fave of managers.