Players fans don't rate but managers love them...

Walters_19_MuFc

As the title says really.

What players are out there that you don't really rate but the manager(s) always seem to play them.

Players that come to mind for me are:

Henderson
McTominay
Fellaini

Anyone else?

TsuWave

AKA quality players the average fan is too unknowledgeable to appreciate.
Not really, no. Managers are not infallible. They often fall on their sword for persisting with players the fans know are bums.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
McTomminay isn't really loved by his managers, Ole and Ralf just have no other options. Mourinho was a big fan and yet he was hardly a certain starter under him, even if he was quite good squad player back then.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
McTomminay isn't really loved by his managers, Ole and Ralf just have no other options. Mourinho was a big fan and yet he was hardly a certain starter under him, even if he was quite good squad player back then.
McTominay made his debut in 2017, he barely had time to establish himself under Jose. SAF has spoken very warmly about Scott, he's been extremely favored by his managers thus far. Fans can't stand him most of the time, at least if you go by what the Caf thinks.

Marcus Rashford is another that's getting the "You're not good enough for me" treatment by online fans recently, despite playing frequently.

Kazi

Basically everyone we've regularly started for the last 10 years except Ronaldo, Bruno, Herrera, De Gea and a few others

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Heskey. Vilified a lot but his managers and strike partners loved him.

Abraxas

I think Jordan Henderson is definitely one of the best examples.

Very, very average for England, that is true. He's not going to elevate a stuttering footballing side through his individual ability. But you have to say he's played a very credible part in fantastic Liverpool sides over the years.

Even Fergie was looking at him, giving that very obscure reason for not having signed him from Sunderland. So it's fairly clear he was rated in many circles.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Unfortunately.

It's taking it back a bit, but Mourinho gave a ton of minutes to Tiago Mendes in his first title-winning season at Chelsea.
He was more a complimentary player than one of the main guys though. He was a solid dependable player who could hold the fort when required

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Think Henderson is one of those whose qualities goes under the radar, but he facilitates play in a big way and plays better than the sum of his parts. Rodgers came in and immediately wanted to sell him, he eventually went on to make him captain. Klopp came in and Henderson went up a level, and while he's lucky to play under a manager like Klopp, he does play an important role for them.

Mikel was a very consistent performer for Chelsea, and while I think Chelsea fans liked him I remember him being ridiculed by other supporters at times. Think he was liked by the managers he played under though. His calmness on the ball and metronomic passing were useful for various managers.

Giroud was often a pretty frustrating figure, but recently Wenger was talking about some intangible quality he bought and whenever he dropped him the team suffered. Played an important role for France under Deschamps too. Admittedly was often not a starter in the league for Chelsea but was getting on.

Kyle Walker moved for big money and has won a lot of plaudits, but I often see him being criticised online. Think he plays an important role for his managers though, domestically and for the international side. While employed in different roles, his recovery pace is very beneficial to the sides he plays for and can often facilitate playing quite high. In Europe last season he made some very important tackles/recoveries.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How has Milner not got a mention yet?
How he's still turning out for Liverpool these days is startling.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Giroud was often a pretty frustrating figure, but recently Wenger was talking about some intangible quality he bought and whenever he dropped him the team suffered. Played an important role for France under Deschamps too. Admittedly was often not a starter in the league for Chelsea but was getting on.
Giroud is a great shout. I never warmed to him seeing as it was Ian Wright that made me support Arsenal. After years Wright, Anelka and Henry leading the line, Giroud felt so sluggish. But there was certainly something about him.

Not only did he not score for France during their World Cup win, I think I read somewhere he didn’t even have a shot on target. Yet he was a lynchpin for them.

NoPace

Unfortunately.

It's taking it back a bit, but Mourinho gave a ton of minutes to Tiago Mendes in his first title-winning season at Chelsea.
Chelsea or Atletico Tiago Mendes would be a gigantic upgrade for us at DM

Siezard

Some players play more of a talking role in the squad.

Like Mertesacker was not rated by fans but he played because the other players liked him and also looked to him as a leader but the fans could tell Mertesacker was slow as hell.

Mustafi was also likely to be a comical character in the squad that manager like to have but fans don't rate due to his numerous mistakes. But some mistakes that Mustafi made are worse than mistakes: He simply don't care when attackers ran past him!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
McClair and Phelan. Fergie loved them both bang average at best.