g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Players with the steepest declines

Djemba-Djemba

Seriously doubt the pace in England, with all due respect, is higher than what Bayern did under LvG and Pep, or what was required to win a CL and a WC. I thought he played pretty well at a rattled United under LvG.
He was average at best and looked overweight.

Spent more time watching his girlfriend play tennis than playing for us. Miraculously got fit in time for the Euros though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I heard about it at the time. I was on the Milan forum and the fans before he even moved were concerned about the rumours that his knees were done for.
Didn't know anything about this. Interesting. Would clear up one of the biggest mystery declines of the past 30 years, that.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Yeah, the knee injury with Sheva was definitely an issue at the time, as said he rushed back for the World Cup and looked really bad. Understandable he would take the risk though, as Ukraine had lost three playoffs in a row for '98, '00 and '02. He had taken his fair share of criticism at home for that.

littlepeasoup

Read an article recently about Mido. He put on some serious weight at the back end of his career, at his heaviest he was around 23 stone. Only played 18 games in 3 years.

Minimalist

Shevchenko's is the most surreal one I can remember. Came to England as a herald: the true harbinger of doom for the rest of the league who would elevate Chelsea to the elan of football. An all-timer who could do no wrong. A bona fide superstar.

Utter flop. Then he looked like a shell of himself as he list his confidence.

At least most players of his calibre have falls attributed to: injury, disinterest, age, external circumstances (particularly death). Nothing was wrong with Sheva, he just bombed.
Sheva was such a weird one. Especially when I sat (I remember) for the whole summer annoyed at how they'd bagged a genuine world class goal-machine and it surely (by signing him and Ballack) ended any hope for United catching Chelsea.

Part-delighted that he flopped, part baffled, part disappointed because the real Sheva never showed up in the PL. Although think he started well by scoring against Liverpool in the charity shield from my memory.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sheva was such a weird one. Especially when I sat (I remember) for the whole summer annoyed at how they'd bagged a genuine world class goal-machine and it surely (by signing him and Ballack) ended any hope for United catching Chelsea.

Part-delighted that he flopped, part baffled, part disappointed because the real Sheva never showed up in the PL. Although think he started well by scoring against Liverpool in the charity shield from my memory.
Yeah, that was really bizarre as Ballack and Shevchenko were monsters before they came to England and the logical conclusion was doom for the rest of us.

Both players were on such a high before coming to England. Crazy how it turned out.

JohnnyKills

How about Ian Wright? Double winner in 97/98, including breaking Arsenal's goalscoring record only to be playing for Burnley who were then in the old 2nd Divison in the 99/00 season
Nah he was pushing 35 in that double-winning season and already a bit-part player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surprised Michael Owen hasn't had more nominations.

Veron bombed pretty quickly and although not particularly brilliant Steven Caulker who was an England international centre back not that long ago seems to have disappeared.

If the post was about managers I would have nominated Gary Neville.
His type of player, wonderkid strikers completely based on pace often peak very early.
Add in severe injuries and it's amazing Owen kept going until 34 or so.

Devil81

Michael Bridges.

One minute he couldn't stop hitting the target and looked bang on to be a top class striker, then overnight his career went into meltdown and he scored 45 goals over a 11 year period.

JSArsenal

Deco, it felt like he was on top of the world one minute, then the next he's back in Brazil

Florent Malouda, Chelsea's top scorer in the league one season, courted by Juventus and then he spends a year in the reserves because he refused to drop his wage demands.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Yeah, that was really bizarre as Ballack and Shevchenko were monsters before they came to England and the logical conclusion was doom for the rest of us.

Both players were on such a high before coming to England. Crazy how it turned out.
Amazingly, my main memory of Ballack (who I have known about since his days with Leverkusen) is him screaming at and running in parallel with that Norwegian referee, doing his best to not touch him.

JSArsenal

I thought Ballack wasn't half bad at Chelsea. He played 105 games for them and was an integral part of their midfield in his time there. Sheva on the other hand didn't make it to 50 games and was loaned out to AC Milan.

Was Ballack the great player he was before? No, but its harsh to say he had a steep decline IMO.

clarkydaz

Rio, Rooney and RVP were all still top players when Moyes took over, and finished by the time he was sacked.

Fergie was brilliant at managing injury-prone players who were getting on in years. He never played Rio more than once every seven days, and both he and RvP were allowed to train at a lower intensity than the rest of the squad.

Sergeant-Major Moyes arrived, made them run up slag heaps till they were sick, and picked them for every game. Rooney was dragged back early from injury more than once. So it’s not surprising they burned out.
Moyes admitted to flogging RVP in pre season. I recall Rio talking of that season where he was stressed a lot as Moyes wouldn't name the team till before kick off. Just bonehead management of delicate players

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Ibrahim Affelay is one of the first that comes to my mind. Seemed destined to be another Dutch great - never quite reached the heights of others - the decline was fast. Too bad because he was an exciting players to watch at his peak.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Some really good names there, I think I mentioned Conceicao a while ago, he moved to Real Madrid the same summer as Makelele I think.

I'd say half the Valencia team of 98-2001 just peaked together. Aswell as Farinos and Mendieta I'd add Claudio Lopez, brilliant striker around that time for Valencia and Argentina but really struggled at Lazio and then lost his place for the national team after 2002 world cup when I think he was still only 30.

Another from that time was Gerard Lopez. Had a similar style to Lampard, proper box to box and could arrive late in the box to score but moved to Barca and never really made a big impact.

One I'd add would be Saviola. Great young striker in his youth, did o.k first 18 months at Barca, then went to Seville and linked up well with Kanoute but moving to Real Madrid subs bench at I think 27 was death knell for his career and he became journeyman striker after that.

His style always reminded me of Owen and his career actually followed a similar path if you look at it. Didn't win a huge amount either.
Sorry for the late reply. You reminded me of Piojo(louse) López , one of my favorite forwards.
In his case there is something in common with many other players that appear in this thread.
With 26, 27,28, in the best moment of their careers, they leave a winning club, or in which they do well and end up disappearing.
In the case of Gerard I think it is a case of decline due to excess of bench.
Of those years in Barça I also remember Dani (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_García_(footballer,_born_1974)) .
He was not a bad forward, but he was always in the bench, however he refused to leave several times and then it was too late. Definitely money over football.
About Saviola, I'm not sure if it´s a case of pronounced decline, or simply he was not so good, or he was very overrated from his youth. I think buying an Argentine is always more reliable than a Brazilian talking about immediate performances but sometimes they sell you the new Agüero, the new Redondo (Gago), etc.

Last edited:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Adrian Ilie was another Valencia player from that era that looked to be a possible star, then declined very quickly after a few bad injuries. He was an extremely skilled player with a great affinity for lobbing the keeper and could play as a 10, forward or on the wing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Amazingly, my main memory of Ballack (who I have known about since his days with Leverkusen) is him screaming at and running in parallel with that Norwegian referee, doing his best to not touch him.
Heh.
I thought Ballack wasn't half bad at Chelsea. He played 105 games for them and was an integral part of their midfield in his time there. Sheva on the other hand didn't make it to 50 games and was loaned out to AC Milan.

Was Ballack the great player he was before? No, but its harsh to say he had a steep decline IMO.
Ballack was a one-man army before he got to Chelsea - a truly phenomenal attacking midfielder who looked like he'd go on to be a proper legendary (on the German scale) midfielder, which he never got near again whilst at Chelsea. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't Ballack. It was a terrifying prospect for him and Shevchenko to be coming into that Chelsea team, but then, when they got there, neither of them were ever the player that their repute in the game was based off of, which was a relief.
Ballack was excellent for us.
If you'd got the real Ballack, I bet your superlative would be superlativer!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yeah, agree with this. Got to remember he moved to England at 30 and played a slightly more conservative role in order to free up Lampard. And he did that well because he was still a quality all-rounder who had a top class playmaking game about him.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Someone mentioned Shevchenko's move to Chelsea in the Martial threadand it made me remember of how remarkably quickly he turned to crap. It was like he went from world class to mediocre within the space of six months or so.

What similar examples are there?

Players who spring to mind for me are:

- Kaka, following his move to Real Madrid
- Torres, somewhere around the 2010 World Cup (which is actually before he moved to Chelsea, unlike what most think)
- Ronaldinho after winning the CL in 2006. He was already crap at the WC and never recovered

Does Rooney have a place here?

Please, add your own...
I think you got the dates wrong It was the 07-08 season when his decline started
in 06-07 scored 24 goals in all comps which was his 2nd best season

and was still doing these things

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
The Ballack call is weird. He was excellent in England, without hitting true Ballack-monster heights.

It's interesting how some of you remember that period, too.

What I remember:
- Torres wasn't declining (in 2009/2010 he scored 18 goals in 22 league games under Rafa's last season. Then he had his injury, then there was the World Cup where he was rushed back. Then he was a bit slow to start, but it was difficult to say if that was because he was fecked or because Roy Hodgson. He still scored a few goals but definitely looked off). To those who say or remember that "he was already well on the decline", that was about a 6-8 month period from before the World Cup, through the World Cup, till the end of the year. It certainly wasn't "a couple of seasons" as some of you remember it - he was injured more and more frequently the last two seasons, but when he played he was absolutely frightening (save the last 6-8 months as mentioned above, while showing glimpses. Again, it was hard to ascertain whether that was a proper decline or just Roy Hodgson's shitness).

- Shevchenko, despite a decent final season in Milan (the numbers were good but if I recall he mostly scored a few hat tricks etc vs weaker teams rather than consistently) was already well on the decline. I genuinely don't think he was the same after the 2005 final.

Which isn't to say that I thought Shevchenko would be shit at Chelsea, but I didn't think Chelsea were getting THE Shevchenko.

Basically, I thought they were getting a well on the wane Shevchenko (but I was still scared about what might happen) and a prime-level Torres, albeit currently/temporarily in the slumps, who I thought would definitely find his form again at Chelsea.

Along with Kaka, certainly the biggest declines in recent times.

Two of three were injury related, Shevchenko perhaps also age/adapting to new league at that age, but also think all three were mostly mental.

If I recall correctly, Kaka didn't want to leave Milan but Milan told Kaka that they couldn't reject the offer because it was great money. Torres wanted to leave, or so he thought, at the time, but it's pretty obvious he'd have been happier at Liverpool.

Sometimes things just don't work out the way you plan them to!

Reactions: harms

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think you got the dates wrong It was the 07-08 season when his decline started
Only statistically IMO. In everything else he declined. Especially what made him so special - his ability to embarrass defenders in tight situations. He became a set-piece player in 2006-2008 - maintaining a solid goal return, showing flashes of the genius, but doing increasingly less running with the ball.

Major

Supports
chelsea
Owen Hargreaves? Bartez?
Some names belong in the ‘here today gone tomorrow' thread. Michu ha!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

and was still doing these things
Nah he was actually below his best that season despite his goals. His general play became pretty average and his work rate was even worse. I’m not totally sure but a lot of his goals were penalties and free kicks that season.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
He was average at best and looked overweight.
Jep, looks absolutely obese

Spent more time watching his girlfriend play tennis than playing for us. Miraculously got fit in time for the Euros though.
Thats what the tabloids wrote, so it must be true. Naturally, the rest of the squad spent their time 24/7 thinking about match moves and kissing the United crest, which is why they performed so brilliantly as a team under LvG.
Of course, Schweinsteiger should have spent more time in the tattoo parlour, the Bentley dealership and his teammates wifes bedrooms to better fit in with the crowd...

Djemba-Djemba

Jep, looks absolutely obese

Thats what the tabloids wrote, so it must be true. Naturally, the rest of the squad spent their time 24/7 thinking about match moves and kissing the United crest, which is why they performed so brilliantly as a team under LvG.
Of course, Schweinsteiger should have spent more time in the tattoo parlour, the Bentley dealership and his teammates wifes bedrooms to better fit in with the crowd...
He fit in perfectly with the crowd, he was shite.

el3mel

Bastian played only 18 league matches for us under LVG. He missed 20, that's more than half of the league ffs!

He was washed out when we got him. Great business by Bayern and Pep

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Hleb. Looked great at arsenal then went Barcelona and subsequently vanished into dust at the snap of a finger.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was thinking about how fast Antonio Valencia declined earlier. A beast from 2009-2012, then bulked up and forgot how to play football.

Julio Cesar is another. Probably the best Goalkeeper in the world at Inter, wins the treble and finds himself at QPR 2 years later.