Playstation 3

Retirantmobs

Stokke Stalker - smells of fish
Go for MGS4, you could get it on cheap nowadays and it's ace. If you have 360 already you might have already played some of multiplatform classics such as Assassins Creed or GTA. Juat Cause 2 is another top notch fun game you could probably get for next to nothing now.
Yeah got all those multiplatform ones, I think, I'm just going to use the PS3 for blu ray and PS3 exclusives. New map pack on COD means less time for the PS3 (When it arrives today)

Retirantmobs

Well I'm now on the playstation, with no games yet mind. Had a good browse around playstation home and I have to admit I love that, something the xbox lacks.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The 160gb slim model is £196 on Amazon and Tesco today...

The Flying Potato

You don't have a PS3 already? Bloody hell!

Any Sony hardware, even if it's shit, is worth having simply due to their 1st party studios alone. Nintendo is the same.
Yeah I know, i've wanted one for a while but i've held off seeing as I have a 360 and would rather spend most of my money on music related stuff for now. I'll definately get one some time this year however ....though I say that every year

MikeUpNorth

I finally ordered one. Haven't owned a console in years... what do I buy gimps?

I got the latest Fifa with it so I can give Mockney a pasting online as well as in the flesh. That sounds odd.

MikeUpNorth

Some questions...

Is there a good boxing game?
Is there a good rally game, or other racing games?
Is there a hitman or other good stealth game worth playing?

MikeUpNorth

Cheers. I see there's a new Fight Night out soon. Will probably get that then.

What's GT5 like Weaste? Isn't that for track racing?

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Some questions...

Is there a good boxing game?
Is there a good rally game, or other racing games?
Is there a hitman or other good stealth game worth playing?
Fight Night 4 (plus new Fight Night coming out) GT5, NFS Shift, MGS4, Assassin's Creed 1, 2 and Brotherhood.

Plus a squillion other amazing games. Also buy PES11.

Retirantmobs

Right then Weaste I need your expertise please. My PS3 decided to just shut it's self down earlier whilst on GT5, when ever I try to boot it up the green light flashes on for about 3seconds then i get two beeps and a red flashing light. I've looked into it and it seems it's a overheating problem, how much do you reckon it's going to cost me to fix?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't touch PES with a ten pole stick. FIFA is way better.

Does anyone know how to get rid of loud fan noise?

I've googled this and it's probably something to with the fan sensor being broken.
There's no dust so vacuuming it won't help. It's not hot at all. The air blowing out is colder than room temperature.
I've got a balcony in my room and the place around it's doors is the coldest place in the room. There the PS3 sits now elevated on stumps so to get more air flow under and around it. Didn't work.

It pretty much goes to full speed after 5min or so no matter what. It doesn't affect the gaming one bit, it's just annoying piece of noise.

It's the old school 40gb one. Refurbished part 2. It was loud almost straight from the box.

Retirantmobs

Thats the YLOD. Are you still under warranty?
Purchased from eBay. So no basically.

Don't touch PES with a ten pole stick. FIFA is way better.

I've googled this and it's probably something to with the fan sensor being broken.
There's no dust so vacuuming it won't help. It's not hot at all. The air blowing out is colder than room temperature.
I've got a balcony in my room and the place around it's doors is the coldest place in the room. There the PS3 sits now elevated on stumps so to get more air flow under and around it. Didn't work.

It pretty much goes to full speed after 5min or so no matter what. It doesn't affect the gaming one bit, it's just annoying piece of noise.

It's the old school 40gb one. Refurbished part 2. It was loud almost straight from the box.
This is how many started, literally 5mins every time and then tonight it just died :-(

WeasteDevil

It is dust, caked onto the fan. The fan motor has to spin harder to get the same effect, thus causing the noise. You need to take it apart and clean the fan. The same thing happens with desktop PCs. One of my desktops every couple of years starts to sound like a helicopter also. Cleaning the fans, especially the one connected to the CPU heat sink makes it as quiet as a mouse again.

Taking original model PS3s apart however is not for the feint hearted, as it all has to come out as the fan is at the very bottom of the unit. Slims have their fan top left.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It is dust, caked onto the fan. The fan motor has to spin harder to get the same effect, thus causing the noise. You need to take it apart and clean the fan. The same thing happens with desktop PCs. One of my desktops every couple of years starts to sound like a helicopter also. Cleaning the fans, especially the one connected to the CPU heat sink makes it as quiet as a mouse again.

Taking original model PS3s apart however is not for the feint hearted, as it all has to come out as the fan is at the very bottom of the unit. Slims have their fan top left.
The thing is it's not dust. It came like this from the box. I've googled this problem and seen that cleaning the nothing that's in the fans doesn't help.

And I can't open the PS3 because it will ruin my warranty. There is no fix of PS3 in Iceland. If it's broken, the official shop for it are only allowed to trade in for a new one and not fix it. fecked up but that's how it is living in a small country that big corps doesn't see it worthy of time to sell stuff in properly.

MikeUpNorth

Is it true that if you buy a pre-owned game and want to play it online you have to pay extra?

Lance Uppercut

Is it true that if you buy a pre-owned game and want to play it online you have to pay extra?
Not necessarily. Some more recent games come with redeemable codes which allow the purchaser to download certain additional content. If you buy one of these games pre-owned, obviously the code will no longer work. In that case, you would have to pay extra to get the content.

Your Call of Duty games, etc, will be fine pre-owned.

MikeUpNorth

Is there anywhere I can find out which games charge extra?

MikeUpNorth

I was looking at getting: Red Dead Redemption, Madden, The Uncharted games and maybe GTA for now. And probably pick up the new Fight Night when it comes out, though that'll obviously be new.

Legendz

I was looking at getting: Red Dead Redemption, Madden, The Uncharted games and maybe GTA for now. And probably pick up the new Fight Night when it comes out, though that'll obviously be new.
Those should all be fine.

Lance Uppercut

Red Dead is fine. There is The Undead Nightmare add on, which will cost you. But it makes no difference to the main game. Completely optional. I have it, and it didn't blow me away.

Not sure about Madden.

Uncharted games are fine. The second has online play which is excellent. There may be a few additional map packs which could cost you a couple of pounds. I'm not certain, and they wouldn't be essential either way.

The Complete GTA4 game comes with all of the DLC. Worth ponying up for that one new. £18 at Zavvi, you might be able to beat that price.

Grand Theft Auto IV (4): The Complete Edition PS3 | Zavvi.com

The two add ons are fantastic. Probably the best DLC I have played.

MikeUpNorth

Cheers guys. Any other 'must haves'? I'm pretty out of the loop on the old gaming front.

MikeUpNorth

Uh... I don't like horror, sci-fi or fantasy games. I tend to prefer sandbox GTA style games to linear ones, though if it's good I'm not fussed either way.

I tend to like slower paced or tactical stuff as opposed to all out mayhem for the sake of it.

Lance Uppercut

Uh... I don't like horror, sci-fi or fantasy games. I tend to prefer sandbox GTA style games to linear ones, though if it's good I'm not fussed either way.

I tend to like slower paced or tactical stuff as opposed to all out mayhem for the sake of it.
This is a touch out of left field, given what you have mentioned, but what about Batman: Arkham Asylum? Fantastic game.

Having said that, if you do pick up Red Dead, the complete GTA4, and both Uncharteds, you are looking at about 100 hours of gaming.

WeasteDevil

I'm totally different to you, I don't like sandbox games at all.

Do you like driving games? Burnout Paradise is a sandbox driving game.

Do you like Wipeout? If so the PS3 version is something else.

Platformers? Ratchet and Clank?

Old style arcade shooter? Super Stardust HD.

There's a lot of stuff, so unless you can narrow your preferences down, it's not easy to recommend stuff.

Lance Uppercut

No clue about the cost of The Game of the Year edition of UC2, but as far as I remember it came with all of the DLC out of the box.
Yep, GOTY editions typically come with all of the DLC.

Unless it's COD4. :smirk:

MikeUpNorth

This is a touch out of left field, given what you have mentioned, but what about Batman: Arkham Asylum? Fantastic game.

Having said that, if you do pick up Red Dead, the complete GTA4, and both Uncharteds, you are looking at about 100 hours of gaming.
Thanks, but I don't like anything superheroey.

What's Heavy Rain like, anyone played it? It looks interesting.