Playstation 3

Lance Uppercut

Sony Computer Entertainment is not only sticking to its guns on its predicted ten-year life-cycle for PS3 - it's told CVG that it sees a decade as the minimum lifespan of its current home console.

That's according to SCE Europe boss Andrew House, who said last week that Sony's just-hit 50 million units sold milestone is "just the start" for the console.

"I've always said [PS3's life-cycle will be] ten-plus years and the only question mark is how long the 'plus' is," House said, adding that "ten years I think is the minimum."

"What we've said many times before and we're confident about is we launched a device that is very, very powerful, that has a whole range of possibilities and that's at the very least a ten-year life-cycle. I know I'm guilty of repeating myself but I think it's always worth pointing out we're still selling PlayStation 2 in its millions around the world, 11 years after it was launched.

"That's different markets and a different profile of consumers but there's still some vibrant demand. That for me bodes extremely well for where the potential of PS3 will go."

Microsoft has recently been rumoured to be prepping plans for its next-generation console already - and last night it was reported the Xbox firm could show its hand as early as next year's E3. On whether it's the right time for Microsoft to succeed its console, the SCEE boss replied, "I think that's a question for Microsoft to address rather than us."

He added: "We've announced that we've hit a significant milestone with 50 million units sold worldwide, but I really do believe that that's just the start."

In the same interview Andrew House said Sony 'knows cross-game chat is a huge thing'.
CVG

Weaste?

WeasteDevil

Well, it's is as it says it is, the PS2 is in its 11th year, and has outsold XB360 and PS3 since both of them were launched. It doesn't stop another system coming along, but I'd expect an announcement of some sort at next E3, which will be mid 2012, and a possible launch sometime late 2013 for Japan and the US, and mid 2014 for the EU.

Once they get it under $200, PS3 will fly off the shelves. I have no doubt that it will surpass Wii in its lifetime. Also, I expect PS4 to be based on a very similar architecture, and I think that the games will run on both PS3 and PS4 (which will be initially sold at a premium price point). Don't hold me on that though :)

It just makes sense to me, but then what Sony do doesn't always make much sense at times. Developers are finally getting to grips with the Cell; developers such as DICE like it and are screaming for more SPEs amd more RAM; give it to them.... Make Cell 2 with a 2 core POWER7 derivative with 16 SPEs hanging off each one, stick in 4GB of well connected high bandwidth RAM, a top of the range GPU from today, up the speed of the BD drive, release it in late 2013/early 2014 - job done, and it would be quite the monster.

WeasteDevil

Cross-game chat I don't think will ever happen as standard across all PS3 games, because they never thought about it in the first place. The one SPE running the OS is a busy chappy already. What if you have PlayTV recording a TV programme and you are playing a game at the same time, where the hell is the processing power going to come from when the game is taking up the rest of the 6 SPEs? There's nothing left, apart from the disabled one, but they can't even enable that on systems that have it functionally working. It's one of those features that needed to be designed into the system from the get-go.

Leg-End

Synergistic Processing Elements

All that cell gubbons weaste always bangs on about to nobody in particular and redlambs.

WeasteDevil

What are SPEs?
The Cell processor consists of 1 PPE (Power Processing Element - basically very similar to one of the 3 cores the XB360 CPU has), and then 8 SPEs which are called Synergistic Processing Elements or satellite processors. An SPE contains an I/O controller to get data in and out (and SPU cannot address the memory directly), a local store of 256KB, and the SPU - the Synergistic Processing Unit that can only process data stored in that local store. This however makes it blistering fast, especially with floating point arithmetic. In the PS3, the operating system has one, and one is disabled for yield purposes, such that if one SPE is broken, they can still use it. All SPEs and the PPE are connected by a ring bus that has a theoretical bandwidth of around 300GB per second.

Lance Uppercut

So we are likely to get a new Playstation in the next 2 or 3 years. Nice.

Re: cross game chat. Who gives a shit.

WeasteDevil

Okay, but would I be able to get photo-realistic graphics out of a suped up PS3? I guess it'd be a kin sticking a DVD in a player that upscaled.
Does your current PC do photo realistic graphics?

This.....

requires 3 GTX590 in SLI, probably consuming something in the region of 800 Watts. You are not getting that in a console right now!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Won't they develop a new BD Disc for the PS4? I think I remember there being talk of one which would hold 3/4 times more than the current ones, would the PS3 be able to play those? Or have I just made all that up?

WeasteDevil

Won't they develop a new BD Disc for the PS4? I think I remember there being talk of one which would hold 3/4 times more than the current ones, would the PS3 be able to play those? Or have I just made all that up?
Apparently, a simple firmware upgrade could support discs up to 200GB on the PS3. Loading will be slower though, as they can't speed up the drive, with PS4 they can.

WeasteDevil

It's all posteuring. They are waiting for M$ to show their hand.
That would make sense, but they didn't take advantage of it last time around. They could have blown XB360 out of the water on many fronts due to the delay with the blue-violet laser diodes - added more RAM, modified RSX, etc. Maybe however they were so confident in the brand name that they didn't see it as a problem.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That would make sense, but they didn't take advantage of it last time around. They could have blown XB360 out of the water on many fronts due to the delay with the blue-violet laser diodes - added more RAM, modified RSX, etc. Maybe however they were so confident in the brand name that they didn't see it as a problem.
Well it helps when you know your machine is on a par, coupled with the brand name.

However, there's no way they can afford to let M$ get a big jump start this time, unless they really are going to blow them out of the water - but I just can't see that.

Lance Uppercut

Sony is planning to announce a PlayStation 3 price cut at Gamescom in August, where trade "insiders" are expecting to see a new RRP of £199.99.

However, respected trade mag MCV reports it's thought that retailers could go as low as £179.99, making the PS3 extremely competitive with the Xbox 360.

Publishers seem to have shared in the speculation as well. Codemasters boss Rod Cousens told MCV, "I would anticipate a further price cut on existing consoles prior to Christmas. It'll probably happen around September and Gamescom may be interesting. But there's also time for a further cut next year, before Wii U is out."

Analyst Nick Parker added: "£199.99 makes sense as it keeps Sony's options open for another drop, but they could be more aggressive. Microsoft wants to be No.1 but I expect it is adopting a 'wait and see' approach with possible new value-added deals on Kinect."

Nintendo's announcement of the new Wii U is one of the events that has triggered speculation about rival platform holders getting choppy with price tags.

Nintendo did some slashing of its own in May, reducing the Wii's price to £129 with many retailers putting the Wii out for less than £100.
CVG

Bargain.

Lance Uppercut

It saves me having to visit a bunch of sites. Plus it's not like they don't credit the original source.

Lance Uppercut

Sony is planning to give the PlayStation Store a serious makeover.

That's according to Reg Hardware, which claims the redesigned online environment will likely feature a more image-driven layout along the lines of Xbox Live and Steam.

Sony is apparently keen to make PSN less cluttered, using what sources have described as "an aesthetic layout with logically marked sections and rolodex lists".

It'll also feature a new live search method, as opposed to the existing text-entry form, which is performed on a separate page.

The movie and game sections will be reworked too. They'll supposedly feature an IMDB-like database that shows key details when a product's highlighted and allows users to easily navigate to other works by the same actor, game developer or publisher.

Sony is also said to be readying a 'deals of the week' section, and binning the PS Store's current blue skin in favour of bright colours on a black background.

The report claims the redesign is currently being tested internally.
I wonder if there is any truth to this.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I hope the rumours of the PS4 being released next year are not true. They can still get 2 years out of the PS3 without releasing the PS4 and also I can't afford another new console.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
What I hope for most is a 'appear offline' option. A lot of the time I just want to be able to play online without people bugging me for a game on so and so.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If you get annoyed by your mates messaging you, turn off notifications under settings. I think an appear offline option would be really useful. I'd like a sleep option like they have on the PSP, it's not really necessary but it would be simple addition rather than having to boot up the console and the game everytime.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Right, so I was playing Fifa11 and suddenly my PS3 turns itself off. Now it can't turn on again. The red power light keeps flashing. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I don't want to send it to Sony for repair as it would cost alot.

WeasteDevil

Something has gone pop! And if it's out of warranty then you will have to pay. If you live in Europe you should be able to get a new one from where you bought it, but you will lose everything on the HDD in that case.

I've gone over this a lot over many years, but how do you normally turn it on and off? This is important as to heat dissipation. Never turn it off straight after playing, ever. And keep it clean. You could be unlucky, but I know that most XB360 and PS3 failures are down to people turning the boxes off straight after playing without letting them first cool down.

How old is mine now, 4 years old, and for the last 4 days it's been running GT5 non-stop, I simply haven't turned it off. It's just sat there, humming to itself.