Playstation 3

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm totally different to you, I don't like sandbox games at all.

Do you like driving games? Burnout Paradise is a sandbox driving game.

Do you like Wipeout? If so the PS3 version is something else.

Platformers? Ratchet and Clank?

Old style arcade shooter? Super Stardust HD.

There's a lot of stuff, so unless you can narrow your preferences down, it's not easy to recommend stuff.
Yeah, I like driving games. I generally prefer point to point rally as opposed to track racing as I mentioned. I checked out Dirt 2 like you said but apparently it's only about 20% rallying?

Wipeout was always fun yeah. Platformers are alright, though I always used to get bored and give up on them.

What's RUSE like, anyone played that?

MikeUpNorth

How about The Saboteur? That seems to have some good reviews?

Lance Uppercut

I think you would enjoy Assassin's Creed 2, Mike. Sandbox game, not overly chaotic, and strategy plays a large part on certain missions. You can pick it up brand new for around a tenner.

MikeUpNorth

Portal 2 looks like it might be interesting. LA Noire too.

MikeUpNorth

Anyone else play Madden and want an online game once I'm up and running?

MikeUpNorth

Aye, sure. My PSN id is aabottom
Cool. It should be here later in the week sometime. Hopefully give you a game over the weekend or next week sometime.

Is there a list of caftard's PSN ids somewhere?

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I think you would enjoy Assassin's Creed 2, Mike. Sandbox game, not overly chaotic, and strategy plays a large part on certain missions. You can pick it up brand new for around a tenner.
Creed 2 is a great game, hours of game play and looks absolutely gorgeous, can basically play at your own pace.

Heavy Rain as you asked Mike, was one I really enjoyed, something different to the norm, worth your money as you should be able to pick it up fairly cheap now.

You'll love Uncharted though, I've gamed for years and these two games are the best I've played, I'd love to be able to go back and play 2 again without ever having played it, litterly blew me away and couldn't put it down till finished, really can't wait for 3 to be released.

MikeUpNorth

PS3 imports banned in patent row

European customs officers have been told to seize all shipments of PlayStation 3s (PS3), following a patent row between Sony and LG.

LG has won a 10-day import ban on the games consoles from the civil court of justice in the Hague.

The long-running dispute between the two tech firms centres around the playback facility for Blu-Ray discs.

Custom officials in Holland have already seized tens of thousands of PS3s, according to reports.

Experts say that the ban, if extended, could affect the stock available in shops within three weeks.

LG claims that Sony PS3s infringe a number of patents relating to the playback of Blu-Ray discs.

It is also seeking a ban in the US and has filed a complaint with the US International Trade Commission (ITC).

The stakes are very high for LG, said patent solicitor Michael Coyle, of law firm Lawdit.

"It will have to pay an astonishing amount of money if a judge rules that its patent is invalid. When a firm seeks to have goods seized they make an undertaking to pay for storage and compensation," he said.

Patent rows between technology firms are nothing new but tend only to be played out among big firms with deep pockets.

"Patents are very subjective so a patent claim is very risky," said Mr Coyle.

The LG Sony row has a strong element of tit-for-tat.

In December, Sony filed a complaint against LG, seeking its own import ban on a list of mobile phones, saying they breached Sony phone patents.

Neither firm wanted to comment on the dispute.
BBC News - PS3 imports banned in patent row

WeasteDevil

Sony started this with something over phones in the US. LG doesn't have a leg to stand on however, they were never involved in the development of Blu-ray. It's basically Sony and Pioneer technology.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Seems strange that they would set themselves up for such a highly expensive fall if they didn't think they had some sort of case.

WeasteDevil

As far as I remember, Panasonic, Sony, Philips, and Pioneer own basically all of the patents that surround Blu-ray. The Blu-ray association licence the technology and those four are the big players.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
As far as I remember, Panasonic, Sony, Philips, and Pioneer own basically all of the patents that surround Blu-ray. The Blu-ray association licence the technology and those four are the big players.
In that case, Sony have no case to answer and will most likely make LG regret trying to pull a stunt like this. Surely a company of LG's size would know better than to try something like this.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
The stakes are very high for LG, said patent solicitor Michael Coyle, of law firm Lawdit.

"It will have to pay an astonishing amount of money if a judge rules that its patent is invalid. When a firm seeks to have goods seized they make an undertaking to pay for storage and compensation," he said.

Patent rows between technology firms are nothing new but tend only to be played out among big firms with deep pockets.

"Patents are very subjective so a patent claim is very risky," said Mr Coyle.
BBC News - PS3 imports banned in patent row
Weaste, the bits in bold make me think that, LG must have something on Sony or this is financial suicide from them. If their case gets rejected, just how much would LG be expected to fork out in total to Sony?

MikeUpNorth

In that case, Sony have no case to answer and will most likely make LG regret trying to pull a stunt like this. Surely a company of LG's size would know better than to try something like this.
Weaste is being a little simplistic, as I suspect he knows. There is such a thing as an 'improvement patent' which adds to the technology of a basic patent. Patent law is bloody complicated and subjective. I suspect LG's case doesn't revolve around the rights of Bluray per se, but on a further application thereof. (I think I read it was to do with the handling and decoding of data and multiple information streams, though I may be remembering wrongly.)

The Relationship Between Basic and Improvement Patents

WeasteDevil

They've got a bloody cheek. If it wasn't for Sony, Blu-ray wouldn't exist in the first place, and if it wasn't for the PS3, we'd be living in a HD-DVD world right now and LG would be paying licensing fees to Toshiba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think the ps3 has been a real disappointment compared to the Ps2 and Ps1, one of which was my favorite console despite having played almost everything in the last two decades years or so. Problem is I can remember which one. :lol:

It's actually had two of my 5 or 6 favorite games of all time, but not enough great titles, especially exclusives.

WeasteDevil

That's because it's not been the dominant platform, even though it's still selling well. PS1 and PS2 wiped the floor and all of the developers flocked to it. The market this generation is totally fragmented. XB360 has taken 50% or so of Sony's market (the 2 HD consoles are now approaching 90 million units sold between them - similar figures to what the PS2 sold after 4 to 5 years), and then the Wii has done something completely different.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's because it's not been the dominant platform, even though it's still selling well. PS1 and PS2 wiped the floor and all of the developers flocked to it. The market this generation is totally fragmented. XB360 has taken 50% or so of Sony's market (the 2 HD consoles are now approaching 90 million units sold between them - similar figures to what the PS2 sold after 4 to 5 years), and then the Wii has done something completely different.
I find Wii more of either a kiddie console or for social gaming, neither of which I'm particularly interested in.

There's literally no difference between the Ps3 and the 360 for me. I prefer the Ps3 but that's just a preference. The ps1 and ps2 were as you say market leaders and hence had all the game developers flocking to make games for them. But even as a whole, barring the very best games for the current generation, I thought those two consoles had better games in general, and more variety.

But I can't for the life of me remember which console was better of the two.

Lance Uppercut

The injunction that has stopped Sony from shipping PS3s to Europe for over a week has been lifted.

The preliminary injunction, which was granted late last month as part of an ongoing legal battle between Sony and LG over Blu-ray patents, saw European customs confiscate a reported 300,000 PS3 consoles all of which are now free to continue their journey to shop shelves.

Just in time, too. Reports earlier today suggested European PS3 supplies were under serious threat.

LG has been ordered to pay Sony €130,000 in legal fees, and a further €200,000 for each day they don't hand over the cash. Ouch.

The injunction may be gone but the battle is not over. Sony and LG's legal dispute relates to the former's use of Blu-ray movie playback technology allegedly belonging to the latter. LG wants Sony to purchase additional licenses before it can continue selling PS3s in Europe.
cvg

Sam

So I've only gone and got the 'yellow light of death' :( I'm well out of warrenty, so is there anything I can do? Will sony fix it? Weaste?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The way it works here is you trade it in and can buy the same type about half off if your warranty has run out.

Lance Uppercut

I knew you'd like that. :lol:

I am glad this has been lifted. I live in perpetual fear that my console will become fecked and I will have to buy another.

Sam

For a fee, yes. But you can use the European law that covers retail sales, if you are in the EU of course. Simply take it back to the shop and demand that the PS3 wasn't fit for purpose.
Cheers Weaste.

I gave Sony a call and they said they'd replace it for £134. Hmmm.