Gaming PlayStation 5

shabz

Spiderman was the biggest selling game on PS4, its brilliant (and im not a normally a huge spiderman fan) I would defiantly recommend picking up both games and possibly playing the original game first as Miles does appear in it.
Great! I didn't know it was the biggest selling. Will have to upgrade my pre-order now.

BristolRuss

Interesting that they went with liquid metal cooling. Undeniably better than traditional thermal paste but it's not great for long term use and needs to be re-applied periodically.

Tiber

Great! I didn't know it was the biggest selling. Will have to upgrade my pre-order now.
If you know someone that has a Spiderman PS4 disc (or if you can find one for sale very cheap) it will still be playable on PS5, you would only miss out on a few new character models and graphic tweeks. But it might be a lot less hassle to just change the preorder. I believe the PS5 version also includes all the DLC?

Tiber

I never knew that they sold faceplates for PS4. I knew that part of the consoles slides off to expose the HDD, but never considered that you could customise it

BristolRuss

Man if only Sony engineers knew.
I imagine that once the console is out of its warranty period they won't care. It will be interesting to see the PS5 performance in say 2 - 3 years and see if it has held up or not.

If you are interested in finding out more about liquid metal then this LTT video is quite good:

Tiber

I imagine that once the console is out of its warranty period they won't care. It will be interesting to see the PS5 performance in say 2 - 3 years and see if it has held up or not.

If you are interested in finding out more about liquid metal then this LTT video is quite good:

They make their money on the software, not the hardware. Wild guess, but I imagine the systems are designed to last a generation rather than a one year warranty.

Maybe im just a Sony fanboy, but I can't help but think they may have considered this issue and that it may be a different situation to general PC trends. The Linus video is also from over 2 years ago, so many things changed?

I don't buy that Sony replaced thermal paste with something which will need to be regularly replaced.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I heard liquid metal is better for longevity so I gotta admit Russ comments confused me...

paulscholes18

Gamecollection has been my go to for a few years now, spot on usually. FIFA pre-orders always dig up the shite reviews if it comes a day late, never had an issue with them ever.
Thanks

My my it's a big boy though.

I game in my office which is right next to our main bedroom - I need this fecker to be super quiet. I have a PS4 slim currently running an SSD and this is fine, so hoping it's no noisier than that.
Yes, the feedback from the event in Japan they mentioned that it ran very quietly

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Surely they could've just made the thing a brick and saved all that hassle with the stand :lol:

Also the faceplate removal is clearly so they can add new ones for people to buy. Clever.
It's also why they've made it white knowing it will fit with only a small percentage of living rooms, so people will buy faceplates straight away.

Just call me Columbo.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’m not into the special edition game designs for consoles, but in stealth grey or gunmetal blue that thing might actually look kinda sexy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’m not into the special edition game designs for consoles, but in stealth grey or gunmetal blue that thing might actually look kinda sexy.
Black/dark grey metal plates could look cool. Or even more like a radiator, not sure. Could also be terrible for heat.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yea, this has been the talk for a while, apparently it was a big priority for the higher ups. Oddly my PS4 and PS4 Pro both ran pretty quietly, but it seems to have been a widespread issue.

I don't mind that its massive, but I still wish it wasn't bright white. And I don't have the cash to buy the 'special edition stealth version' in June or whenever they bring it out.

Whilst I prefer a black console to sit on my black tv stand under my black TV, I would have loved one of these bad boys:

nostalgia overload - though I don't know anyone that actually got one.
Yeah looks like they've given up on the "cram it as right as possible and be surprised by heat issues"
PS4 fan noise wasnt just an issue with its compact design but the fan gets very very noisy due to dust.

I'm worried that it will still get noisy as the fan gets dusty

rcoobc

Interesting that they went with liquid metal cooling. Undeniably better than traditional thermal paste but it's not great for long term use and needs to be re-applied periodically.
Man if only Sony engineers knew.
It’s difficult to apply because it’s electronically conductive. The risk is that it could get on other parts in a system and cause them to short out or malfunction. Liquid metal also moves around a lot, which makes it difficult to ship to consumers. Finally, previous liquid metal alloys used for this application weren’t very durable. This led to situations where you would have to reapply the TIM regularly.

But Sony has obviously solved these engineering complications.

“We have spent over two years preparing the adoption of this liquid metal cooling mechanism,” said Ootori. “Various conceivable tests have been conducted during its adoption process.”

Earlier this year, Sony patented an insulating sheet that basically acts as a corral for the liquid metal. This is likely key to dealing with the conductivity and shifting issues.

rcoobc

I had no idea it uses liquid metal. That's me(n)tal. Previously their thermal paste has been so so so bad

Skills

Snitch
Have they done anything with the controller?

I have to say one of the more exciting things about getting a new console is usually an upgrade to the controller. If its the same as a dualshock 4, that'd be a bit boring.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Cheapest nvme gen 4 is £100 for 500gb. 1TB tb £170. Literally no point in replacing one in the short term.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Always good to have options.

Translation?
There will be loads of options for expanding storage compared to a console that only has proprietary options, and will get cheaper in price sooner.

Have they done anything with the controller?

I have to say one of the more exciting things about getting a new console is usually an upgrade to the controller. If its the same as a dualshock 4, that'd be a bit boring.
Yeah there's haptic feedback and other stuff. There's a blog post somewhere