Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

Oi, we need more Hollow Knight players on here without scaring them away. There's also no such thing as Path of Pain in that game whatsoever...
Says the person who posted that nightmare version of the Pantheon of Hallownest by fireb0rn in the Hollow Knight thread. :lol:

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
That list is fantastic. Genuinely speaking. There's a wide variety of games there in terms of themes and difficulty. Especially games like God of War are ideal for a beginner as they pretty much guide you through every single thing and it's pretty straight forward. Start with standard stuff like Spiderman, Uncharted, God of War.
Thank you, but I'll just use Google for my purposes. The latter are very rudimentary.

Ainu

God of War and YS VIII are not hard games at all.
Have you played this? I'm considering playing this after FFVIIR which I'm playing now. Heard good things about it, but then again I also hear great things about Tales of Berseria and Xenoblade Chronicles remaster and ended up hating both games by the end. JRPG's can be such a mixed bag.

b82REZ

Have you played this? I'm considering playing this after FFVIIR which I'm playing now. Heard good things about it, but then again I also hear great things about Tales of Berseria and Xenoblade Chronicles remaster and ended up hating both games by the end. JRPG's can be such a mixed bag.
I have similar questions about FF10.

Ff7 has really gripped me but I miss the more traditional turn based battles. Despite trying other FF games in the past none have grabbed me, including 10. However I feel I have more patience than teenage me for them now. However some of the JRPG tropes do put me off trying more of them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah I've played it and am now playing IX.

I wasn't mad on Berseria or Xenoblade but I love Ys. The combat is about as good as an action RPG can get I would say and the story and characters are decent enough to keep you going throughout. It's one of my favourite RPG's of the last few years so yeah, I say go for it.

Ainu

I have similar questions about FF10.

Ff7 has really gripped me but I miss the more traditional turn based battles. Despite trying other FF games in the past none have grabbed me, including 10. However I feel I have more patience than teenage me for them now. However some of the JRPG tropes do put me off trying more of them.
I've always enjoyed the battle system in FFX. It ditched the ATB system used in most of the preceding titles and had an actual turn-based system, complete with seeing the upcoming turns and how your actions would affect them. It was a nice change of pace. There's a lot of silliness in the story and cut-scenes though. Everyone has seen that awful Tidus laughing video.

Yeah I've played it and am now playing IX.

I wasn't mad on Berseria or Xenoblade but I love Ys. The combat is about as good as an action RPG can get I would say and the story and characters are decent enough to keep you going throughout. It's one of my favourite RPG's of the last few years so yeah, I say go for it.
Thanks, that sounds pretty good. I think I'll try it out.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Also suggest something for someone who loved playing Persona 5.
Funny you should mention that as I started playing it the weekend and think I'm about to give up.

When I say 'playing' it what I actually seem to have been doing for the last 5 hours or so is watching some terrible anime and pressing 'x' occasionally as a bit of a treat.

Massive Spanner

Funny you should mention that as I started playing it the weekend and think I'm about to give up.

When I say 'playing' it what I actually seem to have been doing for the last 5 hours or so is watching some terrible anime and pressing 'x' occasionally as a bit of a treat.
it's an incredibly slow burn early on. It's a 100+ hour JRPG that really takes its time to get going. All I can say is that if you've done the first five hours, you're through the worst of it, so try to stick with it. If by the time the first palace and month haven't fully opened up (around the 8 or 9 hour mark) you still hate it then it's probably not for you.

Ainu

While Persona 5 does improve after the first +- 10 hours, there are other incredibly lengthy stretches of similar "gameplay" deep into the game. And I mean after 50 or even 100 hours, depending on your pace. I found it to be a very frustrating experience.

Moby

Dick

:lol:

Yeah the first 10-15 hours will be pretty testing in terms of patience. This is the first proper Jrpg I've played as well so not like I was used to this format. What I instantly loved was the music and visual style which was beautifully done. Transitions being so smooth as well. But yeah. It takes a while for the story to take off. I'm not usually that arsed with stories in games anyway so for me it was the combat that keeps going up a notch throughout the game and blows through the roof at the end. Absolutely loved that combat mechanics, the whole persona fusion or creation etc. And constantly figuring out how to best use your limited time to get the best build.

In short I found it interesting at the start, got quite well used to it for most part and got blown away during the last few hours especially as I went for the best ending out of the 4-5 possible ones. And that's someone who skipped most of the dialogue and story. For people who enjoy and get immersed in game stories this will quickly turn into a treat.

Edit : and yes I spent many hours just pressing X. It's what it is. If you don't give a feck just keep forwarding all scenes and skip to combat. They talk absolute rubbish 99% of the time anyway.

Moby

Dick
While Persona 5 does improve after the first +- 10 hours, there are other incredibly lengthy stretches of similar "gameplay" deep into the game. And I mean after 50 or even 100 hours, depending on your pace. I found it to be a very frustrating experience.
Yeah. The blabbering will not stop right till the end. :lol:

But now that I think of it after having finished it for a few days I really really miss having those kids talk rubbish in between crawling dungeons and running into beasts all the time. It made for really nice relaxing breaks and you could just listen to the music at times if nothing else. Doesn't help the fact that I followed it with God of War which has a fecking grumpy bald guy barely talking the whole time. Give me those chattering bullshitting teens over that any day! :D

MadMike

Thats not the criteria for a game to be easy/casual. Uncharted can be quite tough in hardest difficulty but most people play it in easy/normal and at that it's a pretty dumbed down straight forward gameplay. GoW would be in a similar category for me.
Ok fine. So what is the criteria? Let's see what wikipedia says:

A casual game is a video game targeted at a wide, mass market audience, as opposed to a hardcore game, which is a game targeted at a more niche audience of hobbyist gamers. Casual games may exhibit any type of gameplay and genre. They generally have simpler rules, shorter sessions, and less learned skill than hardcore games.

Most casual games have:
  • Fun, simple gameplay that is easy to understand
  • Simple user interface, operated with a mobile phone tap-and-swipe interface or a one-button mouse interface
  • Short sessions, so a game can be played during work breaks, while on public transportation, or while waiting in a queue anywhere
  • Often, familiar visual elements, like playing cards or a Match 3 grid of objects
  • Casual games generally cost less than hardcore games, as part of their strategy to acquire as many players as possible
I don't think GoW, Uncharted or any RPG qualifies as a casual game, based on the above. RPGs are generally the preserve of hobbyist gamers due to complexity and time investment alone, before we add difficulty. My boomer dad could figure out how to play Bejewelled, Candy Crush, Match 3 etc., but would be overwhelmed and struggle to pick up an RPG like GoW.

So if it's not casual, is it at least easy for an experienced RPG gamer? That totally depends on what difficulty level you pick. Is it for very hardcore gamers only? No, because it has difficulty settings that can be tuned down to quite low. It's not DS3 or Sekiro. If your only available difficulty levels were the top 2 ("Give me a challenge" and "Give me God of War") then I would say yes, even many hobbyist gamers would struggle to complete it. But that's not the case.

EDIT: It's a pet hate of mine when people describe games with difficulty settings as easy or too easy, because they play it on easy mode. Especially when the game has difficulty levels hard enough to make you want to break your keyboard/controller.

Last edited:

Balljy

Does FF7 Remake play decently on PS4 or is it worth waiting for PS5 (which for me will be waiting for a PS5 slim in a couple of years) or a PC release to get the best experience?

Bosws87

Ok fine. So what is the criteria? Let's see what wikipedia says:

I don't think GoW, Uncharted or any RPG qualifies as a casual game, based on the above. RPGs are generally the preserve of hobbyist gamers due to complexity and time investment alone, before we add difficulty. My boomer dad could figure out how to play Bejewelled, Candy Crush, Match 3 etc., but would be overwhelmed and struggle to pick up an RPG like GoW.

So if it's not casual, is it at least easy for an experienced RPG gamer? That totally depends on what difficulty level you pick. Is it for very hardcore gamers only? No, because it has difficulty settings that can be tuned down to quite low. It's not DS3 or Sekiro. If your only available difficulty levels were the top 2 ("Give me a challenge" and "Give me God of War") then I would say yes, even many hobbyist gamers would struggle to complete it. But that's not the case.

EDIT: It's a pet hate of mine when people describe games with difficulty settings as easy or too easy, because they play it on easy mode. Especially when the game has difficulty levels hard enough to make you want to break your keyboard/controller.
Its more ease of entry then actual difficulty describing a casual game.

Call of Duty is a casual game as its super easy to pick up and get the basics doesn't mean it cant be played at a very high level.

Where as Counter Strike is a hardcore game just because of different mechanics doesn't mean they both can't be played to a very high level.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Does FF7 Remake play decently on PS4 or is it worth waiting for PS5 (which for me will be waiting for a PS5 slim in a couple of years) or a PC release to get the best experience?
Played it on PS4 Pro and it ran fine. Imagine it will be fine on base PS4 if a little noisy.

Balljy

Cheers, I will give it a go whilst I can get it on PS Plus. I can put up with the noise as long as it plays OK.

Irwin99

Cheers, I will give it a go whilst I can get it on PS Plus. I can put up with the noise as long as it plays OK.
I had the worst experience with RE3 last year with fan noise and ever since I've used earphones with every single game. FF7 on my base PS4 was the same noise wise. The gameplay itself runs really well though apart from a few blocky textures here and there which have probably been cleared up by now.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Would love another RPG IP, if Sony were smart they would try and make a move that will disrupt Microsofts Bethesda acquisition.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Would love another RPG IP, if Sony were smart they would try and make a move that will disrupt Microsofts Bethesda acquisition.
They probably knew about the Bethesda thing long before it was known to the public, so sony may well be doing that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They probably knew about the Bethesda thing long before it was known to the public, so sony may well be doing that.
I really hope so as its still my favourite genre and it has to be said Xbox getting the next Elder Scrolls is a kick for someone like me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The only non casual games in existence are Battletoads 2 and Super Meat Boy. All other games are for casual snowflake *****.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I really hope so as its still my favourite genre and it has to be said Xbox getting the next Elder Scrolls is a kick for someone like me.
There is absolutely no way that it will be exclusive to Microsoft. 6 month timed release is what I reckon.

Massive Spanner

Well Ori was released on the switch. I don't think Microsoft see Nintendo as direct competition so I can see a few games going on the Switch for sure

Bosws87

I'd wait to see what they produce for the next elder scrolls before you worry about it the recent track record for releases is a shambles, very small hopes of the next elder scrolls being any good needs a serious revamp.

caid

The next elder scrolls is probably 5+ years off, who cares at this point? They could have bethesda games on everything, to exclusive to xbox and back again by the time it gets released.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW