Gaming PlayStation 5

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
My only thought is long term Microsoft don’t see consoles or making them as thing and intend to go strictly into gamepass and publishing.

It certainly will be interesting to see what happens the short term is obvious instead of creating and supporting new talent they just wanna stop the competition.
Of course, the money has always been in software and not hardware. They understand this because of Windows.

Deery

Dreary
Same here, the only Activision published game I've bought in a long time was Sekiro (you'd almost forget they published it). There's actually a decent chance the company's output will improve under MS.

However, it's undeniable that COD is a major force in gaming and this is a monumental shift in power that has simply never been seen in the video gaming industry. Bethesda was a dangerous precedent, this is not just a confirmation but obliterates that previous deal. We've already known they can basically buy any publisher out there they want and keep their games from other systems, now they've made it clear that they're absolutely willing to do that. I don't see how this is anything other than deeply concerning for the future of the games industry.
It’s a big blow for PlayStation for real, when you think of the amount of streamers that mostly play COD and the players worldwide it has, there is many I feel will be making the change to X-Box which is a load of bullshit because PlayStation is a better console and Microsoft are strategically throwing money into a well known game to steal users.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah, I've just been looking in an attempt to understand that figure but I really don't get it.
I'm not sure what there is to get? As in how they could possibly be worth $70bn? They're the biggest video game publisher in the US and Europe by both revenue and market cap. They have their hands in a lot of franchises, games etc. across just about every platform.

Berbaclass

I'm not sure what there is to get. They're the biggest video game publisher in the US and Europe by both revenue and market cap. They have their hands in a lot of franchises, games etc. across just about every platform.
I'm just genuinely shocked at the valuation. 70 Billion is a lot of money.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Christ. Not even sure what to think of that.

Deery

Dreary
I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Activision would be worth anywhere near 70 fecking billion :lol:

I still genuinely don't understand how that is the case. I get the COD is a major game but 70 billion!

How much is Take-Two worth?
£13 billion.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
After Bethesda there were a lot of people saying that Bethesda was one thing but there's no way they could ever go and buy a behemoth like Rockstar or EA.

Well, they just bought an even bigger behemoth than those.
That was always daft. With Satya Nadella's support they could buy any publisher.

There are people saying their goal is for PlayStation to eventually allow Game Pass on their platform. For me they're not even arsed about that, they just want to kill off the competition completely. Even if it was Sony buying Square-Enix I'd say the same that it is shit for the industry as a whole.

I won't be surprised to see Microsoft announce a deal to acquire EA by the end of the year.

Sviken

That was always daft. With Satya Nadella's support they could buy any publisher.

There are people saying their goal is for PlayStation to eventually allow Game Pass on their platform. For me they're not even arsed about that, they just want to kill off the competition completely. Even if it was Sony buying Square-Enix I'd say the same that it is shit for the industry as a whole.

I won't be surprised to see Microsoft announce a deal to acquire EA by the end of the year.
It's kind of a payback for Sony hogggling on exclusives for decades. It was bound to happen once a competent man in charge like Spencer came along. Btw, Microsoft doesn't care about exclusives, the'yll happily port these games to Playstation, but Playstation won't allow gamepass there which is basically Microsoft's whole strategy at the moment.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Yeah i don't think that's driving motivation either, though of course they would do it if Sony would have it as it'd be a quick way to increase their subscriber numbers. But they're thinking long term beyond consoles into pure subscriptions on whatever device people wanna play on, likely on streaming sticks and native apps in smart tvs. At that point gamepass will be like Netflix, where pretty much every gamer will almost have to get it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I haven’t played WoW for a long time so can’t comment on its current state but it would be a shame if it was dumbed down further for the sake of making it playable on a console controller.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Even when Microsoft buy Activision everyone chats about it in the PlayStation thread :lol:

Rooney1987

Yeah i don't think that's driving motivation either, though of course they would do it if Sony would have it as it'd be a quick way to increase their subscriber numbers. But they're thinking long term beyond consoles into pure subscriptions on whatever device people wanna play on, likely on streaming sticks and native apps in smart tvs. At that point gamepass will be like Netflix, where pretty much every gamer will almost have to get it.
That's the thing I think if you asked Microsoft they would gladly put it on a Playstation. As you say we know the future plan is and why wouldn't they want it on 140 odd million PS4/5s. It would probably become the console with the most Game Pass subs come from. As we all know Sony would say no, but I do wonder if this deal changes that.

b82REZ

My only thought is long term Microsoft don’t see consoles or making them as thing and intend to go strictly into gamepass and publishing.

It certainly will be interesting to see what happens the short term is obvious instead of creating and supporting new talent they just wanna stop the competition.
I think that's undoubtedly the case.

I can't support the way they're going about it atm. They're attempting to monopolise the industry to kill competition and then they can release their streaming services everywhere. At that point gamers will be at the whims of a big tech company.

I've always thought there were nefarious purposes behind Gamepass.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How much cash on hand do they have?
Sony vs Microsoft is incomparable. MS have hundreds of billions in the bank, Sony have been struggling to make profits for the last decade and it's the PS that's been heavily responsible for their profits. MS can crush Sony easily if they want to, and it looks like they want to.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nah. Bethesda was great. This is probably a little far for my liking. A bigger deal was inevitable but I wasn't expecting Activision.
I'm going to check resetters...

I think that's undoubtedly the case.

I can't support the way they're going about it atm. They're attempting to monopolise the industry to kill competition and then they can release their streaming services everywhere. At that point gamers will be at the whims of a big tech company.

I've always thought there were nefarious purposes behind Gamepass.
Loveable Phil ain't about all that though surely?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Ainu

That's the thing I think if you asked Microsoft they would gladly put it on a Playstation. As you say we know the future plan is and why wouldn't they want it on 140 odd million PS4/5s. It would probably become the console with the most Game Pass subs come from. As we all know Sony would say no, but I do wonder if this deal changes that.
The problem with Game Pass on Playstation, at least for Sony, is that it would mean a major part of the PS store revenue would be lost and turned into sub revenue for MS. I don't see how Sony could survive something like that. There'd be no point staying in the console industry for Sony that way.

Berbaclass

Sony vs Microsoft is incomparable. MS have hundreds of billions in the bank, Sony have been struggling to make profits for the last decade and it's the PS that's been heavily responsible for their profits. MS can crush Sony easily if they want to, and it looks like they want to.
I mean it is comparable, a quick google says Microsoft had cash reserves of 132 Billion in comparison to 44 Billion of Sony. It's more obvious but not absolutely huge.

Deery

Dreary
I mean it is comparable, a quick google says Microsoft had cash reserves of 132 Billion in comparison to 44 Billion of Sony. It's more obvious but not absolutely huge.
There’s no way Microsoft just spunked 70 billion (half their money) if they aren’t looking to crush PlayStation I’m afraid.