Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

I mean it is comparable, a quick google says Microsoft had cash reserves of 132 Billion in comparison to 44 Billion of Sony. It's more obvious but not absolutely huge.
It is slightly more complicated than that I think. You'd need to look at Sony Interactive Entertainment specifically, not Sony as a whole. I don't know exactly how it works at MS, but it's worth bearing in mind that unlike Sony, Microsoft is a software company so maybe they treat their gaming division differently than Sony does with SIE. In any case, in terms of spending power, it's not exactly a contest.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It is slightly more complicated than that I think. You'd need to look at Sony Interactive Entertainment specifically, not Sony as a whole. I don't know exactly how it works at MS, but it's worth bearing in mind that unlike Sony, Microsoft is a software company so maybe they treat their gaming division differently than Sony does with SIE. In any case, in terms of spending power, it's not exactly a contest.
Fair point.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I mean it is comparable, a quick google says Microsoft had cash reserves of 132 Billion in comparison to 44 Billion of Sony. It's more obvious but not absolutely huge.
It is huge. Microsoft absolutely dwarf Sony year on year for net income, market caps, sales etc. They are a far, far, far more powerful company.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It is huge. Microsoft absolutely dwarf Sony year on year for net income, market caps, sales etc. They are a far, far, far more powerful company.
I asked how much cash on hand they had. Simple question. I was told the difference is incomparable when in reality it's not really.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Welp. That's a pretty big move by Microsoft. I don't really play Activision and Blizzard games so it doesn't directly affect me but there's every chance Microsoft swallowing up all these big names publishers somehow makes it harder for Sony to continue making the games I enjoy like The Last Of Us, Ghost Of Tsushima, Unchartered etc.

CloneMC16

That is absolutely insane. $70B is unfathomable money. This is very bad for Sony. I think it is for the entire gaming industry. Microsoft are buying the industry.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
My only thought is long term Microsoft don’t see consoles or making them as thing and intend to go strictly into gamepass and publishing.

It certainly will be interesting to see what happens the short term is obvious instead of creating and supporting new talent they just wanna stop the competition.
Yeah, while Phil Spencer comes out and paints it like a pro-consumer move. Never got why people would fawn over him. These companies don't give a single feck about you.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Finally completed Kena. That Rot Boss finale was insane. Took me about 30 attempts and about 4 different sittings to finally crack it. As usual once you do it you realise it wasn’t as bad as you’d made out the previous 30 times haha. Might try and go for some of the collectibles but tbh the plat seems beyond me so might not bother do it all.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
You can get 3 months of EA Play for £3.99 currently. Seems like a great deal. I may get it to play the Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

sparx99

Welp. That's a pretty big move by Microsoft. I don't really play Activision and Blizzard games so it doesn't directly affect me but there's every chance Microsoft swallowing up all these big names publishers somehow makes it harder for Sony to continue making the games I enjoy like The Last Of Us, Ghost Of Tsushima, Unchartered etc.
This is my concern. If Microsoft creates a exclusive domain for Activision Blizzard games resulting in a hugely dominant Xbox on the market then PS5 or PS6 ends up with a smaller user base and less people to buy those PS exclusives. It makes it more like PS becomes like Nintendo with a hardcore fanbase that only buy the console for those exclusives.

TrustInJanuzaj

This is my concern. If Microsoft creates a exclusive domain for Activision Blizzard games resulting in a hugely dominant Xbox on the market then PS5 or PS6 ends up with a smaller user base and less people to buy those PS exclusives. It makes it more like PS becomes like Nintendo with a hardcore fanbase that only buy the console for those exclusives.
They will have to go a long way to take that much of a market share. As it stands Playstation still has the best exclusive games and the bigger player base. These moves will make an impact but the game quality will be the real deal breaker. Sony will absolutely smash it this year with Horizon and GOW.

Cloud7

A company trying to create a monopoly will never sit right with me. There’s never anything good that can come of this.

Ainu

They will have to go a long way to take that much of a market share. As it stands Playstation still has the best exclusive games and the bigger player base. These moves will make an impact but the game quality will be the real deal breaker. Sony will absolutely smash it this year with Horizon and GOW.
For a lot of people, that's true. However, there's clearly a very large audience that doesn't care as much about the quality of the games and just wants to play the latest CoD with their mates. Those people will have to move to the Xbox eco system when the deal is finalised, so that's an instant impact on the player base.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Anyone else think that could actually backfire on Microsoft? I mean 70 billion is a lot of fooking change
Nope.

It's only some of the money they already had in the bank and despite Activsion-Blizzard's terrible reputation of late they still turn over a ~$2bn net profit a year.

TrustInJanuzaj

For a lot of people, that's true. However, there's clearly a very large audience that doesn't care as much about the quality of the games and just wants to play the latest CoD with their mates. Those people will have to move to the Xbox eco system when the deal is finalised, so that's an instant impact on the player base.
That sounds like heaven! Leave PlayStation with the decent games.

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone else think that could actually backfire on Microsoft? I mean 70 billion is a lot of fooking change
It is around their yearly profit. They are a 2.5T company, an absolute behemoth.

70 billion is a massive sum of money, but they can easily afford it. The feckers are buying the industry and are becoming like Disney in movies. Unless Google or Apple enter the game.

sparx99

Sony's exclusives do well and it will obviously take time but Nintendo appeared dominant in the 90's. It's not that far-fetched that by the late 2020's there is a dominant Xbox and PS operating in a smaller space. I also just don't think its good for the industry to consolidate like this. We want more companies with different ideas and philosophies making games. Hollywood consolidation has resulted in much more generic fare at the box office and I fear for games in the same way.

Minkaro

906 hours total. 382 on PS5 games and 524 on PS4. Spread over 48 games.

1. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (98 hours)
2. ME Legendary Edition (73 hours)
3. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (65 hours)
4. Ni No Kuni II (60 hours)
5. The Witcher 3 (51 hours)

23 platinum, 137 gold, 306 silver, 1,013 bronze for a total of 1,479 trophies.

Man, I loved “working” from home earlier this year.

Jacob

What's the going rate for a used ps5? I found an add selling it for 360 quid. Feels too cheap.

SuperiorXI

It is around their yearly profit. They are a 2.5T company, an absolute behemoth.

70 billion is a massive sum of money, but they can easily afford it. The feckers are buying the industry and are becoming like Disney in movies. Unless Google or Apple enter the game.
At least they can't buy the indie market

SuperiorXI

Nope.

It's only some of the money they already had in the bank and despite Activsion-Blizzard's terrible reputation of late they still turn over a ~$2bn net profit a year.
There's no guarantee that it will stay that way, like any business they could lose money at any time, especially if things are mis-managed. I'm not sure how long the likes of COD/Candy Crush etc are going to captivate the public. I'm shocked that they're even still popular TBH.

b82REZ

It's already been confirmed they don't intend to make COD exclusive. Whether this only means for the deals that have already been agreed with Sony or they will publish it across all platforms like they have the Minecraft remains to be seen in the long term.