Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

Anyone else tried Returnal? Downloaded if for free and ...eh. I dont really know how i feel about it.
There's a dedicated thread here somewhere with plenty of tips in there, in case you're struggling. I will keep telling everyone it's the best PS5 exclusive out there and one of the best games I've played in years. But it's not for everyone.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It's a grower. Just wait until you put a good run together, the additiction hits pretty fast.
There's a dedicated thread here somewhere with plenty of tips in there, in case you're struggling. I will keep telling everyone it's the best PS5 exclusive out there and one of the best games I've played in years. But it's not for everyone.
Thank you. Have only played it for a few hours and only gotten the second boss, but i'll give it a shot. Suffering from a a bit of Ragnarok hangover and i need something to get over it

Ainu

Thank you. Have only played it for a few hours and only gotten the second boss, but i'll give it a shot. Suffering from a a bit of Ragnarok hangover and i need something to get over it
Getting to the second boss in a couple of hours is excellent progress. Phrike is probably the endpoint for most players, so you're already past that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Returnal is a weird one in that the first half of the game is much more difficult than the second half. It’s not very well balanced in that regard. It can all feel a bit hopeless at times early on but once you get past biome 3 you should rocket through the game then.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Apparently Mass Effect: Legendary Edition is one of the games for December on PS Plus.
I know I enjoyed the ME games but my only memory from all of them is accidentally getting Garrus killed. Think he was carried away by a load of bugs or something. I was gutted.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know I enjoyed the ME games but my only memory from all of them is accidentally getting Garrus killed. Think he was carried away by a load of bugs or something. I was gutted.
You monster.

I'd definitely recommend playing the legendary edition if that rumour is true, it's great. The first hasn't aged very well but 2 and (most of) 3 are still great, especially with all the DLCs bundled in.

caid

Was a good series. Just gone 15 years old so probably a good time to run through again.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Same boat. I keep grabbing games off PSN and PS+ without any real concept of when I get time to play them. I keep telling myself to stop getting new games but I'm not very disciplined.
Yup :lol: not sure i need mass effect in my life when im absolutely loving Ragnarok and have every intention of playing the Witcher 3 for the first time in a few weeks time.

Berbasbullet

Definitely, I should have done GOW by the weekend, then like you, the Witcher for the first time.
I still need to finish Forbidden West :lol: my backlog is getting ridiculous and im still sat here eyeing up the Callisto Protocol :lol:

Irwin99

Just as I decide not to renew my PS+ membership for awhile they put ME trilogy on there according to some :p

Witcher 3 and ME trilogy for Christmas isn't bad though.

Bebe

You monster.

I'd definitely recommend playing the legendary edition if that rumour is true, it's great. The first hasn't aged very well but 2 and (most of) 3 are still great, especially with all the DLCs bundled in.
I thought they did a great job in the Legendary Edition of updating the first game. Still feels the most dated but the most egregious stuff (elevator loading times, shooting mechanics and graphics generally) all took a solid step up.

largelyworried

Had a go at Mass Effect 1 remastered, but I couldn't get back into it. Even with the changes it still felt very dated. Skipped over to Mass Effect 2 and am enjoying that a lot more.

TheReligion

Abusive
So I finally got a PS5.!

Looking at getting online in due course.

Any tips/advice?

Game wise this lot interest me but let me know if I’m missing anything obvious or if I should steer clear of any of these in particular;

Football Manager 23 (if it’s released)
Return to Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 7
Need for Speed Unbound
Crash Bandicoot It’s About Time
Ratchet and Clank
Callisto Protocol

Berbasbullet

So I finally got a PS5.!

Any tips/advice?

Game wise this lot interest me but let me know if I’m missing anything obvious or if I should steer clear of any of these in particular;

Return to Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 7
Need for Speed Unbound
Ratchet and Clank
Callisto Protocol
Whats even happened to FM? They just pull it?

Irwin99

Does anyone actually bother with the raytracing option on PS5 games? I'm completely hopeless when it comes to these technical details but I've making an effort to learn and I bought a new tv with HDMI 2.1 to replace my decade old TV.

I have a few new options for playing RE2 remake: The higher frame option is really nice, the HDR makes everything look crisp but i'm not seeing any real benefit to ray tracing (and it lowers framerate). Also I think i remember reading some people saying HDR is actually not all it's cracked up to be?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Does anyone actually bother with the raytracing option on PS5 games? I'm completely hopeless when it comes to these technical details but I've making an effort to learn and I bought a new tv with HDMI 2.1 to replace my decade old TV.

I have a few new options for playing RE2 remake: The higher frame option is really nice, the HDR makes everything look crisp but i'm not seeing any real benefit to ray tracing (and it lowers framerate). Also I think i remember reading some people saying HDR is actually not all it's cracked up to be?
It usually comes at the expense of frame rate doesn’t it? I always go for the high fps option at the expense of anything else. 30fps feels horrible to play.

Berbasbullet

Higher frames is way more important than ray tracing.

Irwin99

It usually comes at the expense of frame rate doesn’t it? I always go for the high fps option at the expense of anything else. 30fps feels horrible to play.
Yeah and I can't ever see much of a difference that RT makes to the visuals but then i'm pretty clueless about these technical things, as I openly admit.

Bebe

Cyberpunk 2077 or Control are good games to test whether you prefer ray tracing at 30fps vs smoother gameplay at 60fps. I mostly opt for 60fps, but lately I've found myself not minding 30fps for increased visuals. Currently playing Red Dead 2 and it feels fine at 30fps after letting my brain adjust for a few minutes.

Where I notice the ray tracing difference is mostly in indoor areas. soft shadows (such as those underneath a chair) and indirect lighting looks incredible to me on ray tracing modes. The spiderman games were great for ray traced reflections on PS5 as well.

Shark

@NotShark

Consoles can't really do RT properly yet, best to have it off and enjoy the higher frame rate. In some cases it knocks the resolution down also to 1080p on SX/PS5.

RedDevilRoshi

So I finally got a PS5.!

Any tips/advice?

Return to Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 7
Need for Speed Unbound
Ratchet and Clank
Callisto Protocol
Start with Astros before you play any of those imo. It’s already pre-installed on the console. Brilliant fun wee game that shows you the full potential of the controller.

Also not sure if you have played the previous game but God Of War: Ragnarock is a must if you have. Superb game.

TheReligion

Abusive
Start with Astros before you play any of those imo. It’s already pre-installed on the console. Brilliant fun wee game that shows you the full potential of the controller.

Also not sure if you have played the previous game but God Of War: Ragnarock is a must if you have. Superb game.
Thank you. Yes I’ll play Astros.

Not played GoW.

Would you recommend a subscription and any of the PS4 games or left field titles?

Disco Elysium sounds intriguing

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
So I finally got a PS5.!

Any tips/advice?

Return to Monkey Island
Gran Turismo 7
Need for Speed Unbound
Ratchet and Clank
Callisto Protocol
Congrats … at last!

GOW 2018 then Ragnarok would look good on that list chap.

GT7 and R&C too. You won’t go far wrong with this as starters.