g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming PlayStation 5

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It’s still wild to me that Sony have never made a handheld that utilises their back catalog. Something that can play PS4 games for example. They’d make a killing.

noelyman

First Game

Death Stranding Director's Cut

Top 5

Baldur's Gate 3 - 253 hrs
Nioh - 172 hrs
Demon's Souls - 105 hrs
Days Gone - 98 hrs
Death Stranding - 83 hrs

Total 902 Hours :eek:

Gaming Style: Roleplayer which is pretty accurate to be fair.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't lie, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the super hero focus. Insomniac are a great dev but it seems like they'll be busy for the next decade doing hero games. Gutted the won't be a PSVR2 game from them :(

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Apparently Rift Apart didn’t make any money which is a real shame as it was great. Understandable I guess that they’re going to milk the marvel cash cow for all it’s worth instead.

afrocentricity

Apparently Rift Apart didn’t make any money which is a real shame as it was great. Understandable I guess that they’re going to milk the marvel cash cow for all it’s worth instead.
I miss when it was about making unique and impressive games. Not that these games can't be that..... but I've no expectation of that.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It’s still wild to me that Sony have never made a handheld that utilises their back catalog. Something that can play PS4 games for example. They’d make a killing.
Yeah a PS4 Portable would be a beast. I assume they looked at it and it's just not possible.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't lie, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the super hero focus. Insomniac are a great dev but it seems like they'll be busy for the next decade doing hero games. Gutted the won't be a PSVR2 game from them :(
I think it’s great. I have no interest in superhero content in films and shows (and films in shows in general these days) but when it comes to games - especially the two that have done it really well I.e Spider-Man and Arkham (and to a lesser extent GoG) - it feels different for me purely because of how immersive the medium of video games is. I just replayed Spider Man on the PS5 and the fun of the combat and signing loop is just so satisfying and something you can’t match with your typical generic marvel film.

Ideally I’d like to see two Ratchet’s though. The series needs more love.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I've got the kids PS5, two controllers and Ratchet and Clank for Xmas. Want to get them Spider-Man 2 but I'm not paying £70 for it

Don't really know what PS5 game to get

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've got the kids PS5, two controllers and Ratchet and Clank for Xmas. Want to get them Spider-Man 2 but I'm not paying £70 for it

Could just get a PS Plus sub.

pacifictheme

Astro boy that comes with it is loads of fun. My son loved playing it.

afrocentricity

Outer Wilds, Nier Automata - there’s unique stuff around if you look for it.
How old are they? And that's 2 games.....

I've been gaming for nearly 40 years, trust me, everything is cookie cutter nowadays..... Except the odd game like you say, and VR

amolbhatia50k

How old are they? And that's 2 games.....

I've been gaming for nearly 40 years, trust me, everything is cookie cutter nowadays..... Except the odd game like you say, and VR
I’ve been gaming for nearly as long. They’re both within the last 5 years. Subnautica off the top off my head. Disco Elysium. There’s so damn many I can make a proper list of you give me the criteria and some games from the past as your example of it. For me gaming is growing and improving as a medium.

afrocentricity

I’ve been gaming for nearly as long. They’re both within the last 5 years. Subnautica off the top off my head. Disco Elysium. There’s so damn many I can make a proper list of you give me the criteria and some games from the past as your example of it. For me gaming is growing and improving as a medium.
feck it.... Post your list of must-play innovative games

Bebe

That's quite sad to hear.

It feels in the AAA gaming space as though there are some incredible technical achievements taking place in games, which are made possible by massive development budgets. The massive budgets exist because the AAA space *can* be wildly profitable, and companies are willing to put up significant up front investment to get a slice of that wildly profitable market. The flipside to this is of course that development becomes very risky, as you need to hit high sales or ongoing revenue targets to justify the development cost.

The massive revenues companies are chasing simply aren't feasible unless your game appeals to a wide audience. Call of Duty, Marvel content, etc appeal to that wide audience, but Ratchet & Clank won't. Nor will Alan Wake 2, or Callisto Protocol, or even Final Fantasy XVI. Despite that, the developers still feel a need (probably rightly) to compete at the top end technically because that's the only way your game can possibly break into the mainstream and make a profit. It's sad for me to think that a new Deus Ex game probably should consider itself more of a AA game and budget accordingly, because the days where original games could also be leaders in graphics and production value seem to be over. Same goes for the movie industry.

tl;dr - AAA development is expensive and many AAA games don't appeal to a wide enough audience to justify being AAA games (despite how much more they add to the gaming industry than the mass market shite).

hobbers

Spyro
Resistance series
I mean R&C is ok, but never worth full price game money.

I just dislike all the superhero/comic bollocks, market is way oversaturated in it. This must have been what it was like back in the day with westerns.
Yeah one Spiderman game plus the Morales expansion was enough forever. Only so much you can milk the web swinging, endless collectibles and shite repetitive QTE fights.

Resistance FOM was their best fresh IP.

amolbhatia50k

feck it.... Post your list of must-play innovative games
First you give a list of 10 games from the past there were as the word innovative is highly subjective (as is must play to be fair).

It’s like any field - like music. The initial years see the broad definition of genres (fps, rpg etc) and then you start seeing a development in technology, storytelling, sound tracks / design, possibly immersion etc

Spyro
Resistance series
I mean R&C is ok, but never worth full price game money.

I just dislike all the superhero/comic bollocks, market is way oversaturated in it. This must have been what it was like back in the day with westerns.
Fair enough. I don’t link the worth of a gaming experience so greatly to the time spent so for me R&C was a brilliant one. I much prefer it to any Resistant game (they were pretty good for them time too). Heck I actively want games to be shorter now and I’m more often than not wanting them to be snipped by 30% due to unnecessary filler flab.

I don’t have any interest in the superhero genre in film, tv etc but if well done, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of it in games - as long as it works as a video game - that’s the key bit. I mean, the Arkham games are just fantastic games in general, for example. Put a lick of Max Payne on them and they’d still be terrific. Also maybe it’s my disinterest in marvel films that allows me to enjoy these games more but I try to firstly see them as individual games.

Andy_Cole

Just tried to install the hard drive. Couldn’t get the screw and spacer out. Just ordered a replacement on Amazon. Frustrating but not a disaster. Other than that it was piss easy.

Golden Nugget

Get them the Playststion subscription and download It Takes Two. Really fun, simple game that my nephews enjoyed playing

BarcaSpurs

Spiderman Miles Morales is really good and free on PS plus.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are there any great co op games out that don't revolve around violence or button bashing?

Played through It Takes Two and would like that level of immersion and creativity if possible.

Sackboy and Unravelled 2 have been earmarked, but is there anything better?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Are there any great co op games out that don't revolve around violence or button bashing?

Played through It Takes Two and would like that level of immersion and creativity if possible.

Sackboy and Unravelled 2 have been earmarked, but is there anything better?
What do you class as violence? Shooting Nazis isn't really violent is it?