Gaming PlayStation 5

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
For people who think it'll be £449 and £499, I think there's no chance.

Sony have the opportunity to create an incentive for people to buy solely from them and get all the profit, rather than through other sales/second hand sellers.

If there's a £50 difference in price, I definitely won't get the digital version, as it's not really worth the savings in comparison to being locked into Sony's store, whereas if there's a £100 difference, I will definitely be considering getting digital.
Yeah I'd expect at least a £100 difference otherwise what's the point as you say.

Depends also how much the PS5 production costs are. I'm guessing Sony will sell both at a loss anyway, just depends how much they're willing to lose per console to begin with.

Dave_MUFC

Yeah I think that is right (£349/£449), which I think would be good value.

Can't wait for Sony to announce £500/£600.
Yeah, £349 would be an insane price point and think that would definitely give them the market edge over Microsoft.

Again, think they can forecast that the hit would be worth it for the profit of buying directly from them.

I'm half expecting a £549/£599 price point and everyone to get on a downer :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If a PlayStation is going to cost £600 and you can get an Xbox for £250, even £450 I can’t see many PlayStations selling to many parents as a kids Christmas present.

ive no idea on prices but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just fifty quid dearer than the Xbox because it would sound more tempting. At the moment £28 a month for the series x and live and the gamepasses seems a really good deal and Sony need to atleast get near it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If a PlayStation is going to cost £600 and you can get an Xbox for £250, even £450 I can’t see many PlayStations selling to many parents as a kids Christmas present.

ive no idea on prices but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just fifty quid dearer than the Xbox because it would sound more tempting. At the moment £28 a month for the series x and live and the gamepasses seems a really good deal and Sony need to atleast get near it.
Sony won’t care about the Series S. They’re not competing with that console and they won’t try to. I’d imagine the digital PS5 will be cheaper than the Series X and the disc-based one the same price or perhaps a tad more expensive. But I don't think MS have Sony worried about what to do. Their consoles will sell.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I like how Elvis says he knows nothing about it all on occasion, but every day knows how Sony feel about Microsoft

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I like how Elvis says he knows nothing about it all on occasion, but every day knows how Sony feel about Microsoft
I say I don't know anything about the tech side, which I don't. I don't know what teraflops do or what a CPU and GPU does, nor do I care.

I can however speculate about how Sony are feeling and whether or not they are confident in their strategy (that said this isn't the thread for comparisons so sorry @Damien).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I say I don't know anything about the tech side, which I don't. I don't know what teraflops do or what a CPU and GPU does, nor do I care.

I can however speculate about how Sony are feeling and whether or not they are confident in their strategy (that said this isn't the thread for comparisons so sorry @Damien).
Official Spokesperson of Sony’s Feelings

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sony won’t care about the Series S. They’re not competing with that console and they won’t try to. I’d imagine the digital PS5 will be cheaper than the Series X and the disc-based one the same price or perhaps a tad more expensive. But I don't think MS have Sony worried about what to do. Their consoles will sell.
I didn’t mean to imply they’d care about the S. just that the s is tempting to parents when the PlayStation is so far away in price and not even within tempting range. with out knowing all the in-depth ins and outs the s is seemingly being advertised as being as capable as the x.

I’m still unsure what to go for, I havnt had a PlayStation since the original and then moved to Xbox. Now I’m buying more as a parent I’d made the decision to get the x over the s as it seems a good deal.
If the PlayStation is released around the same price and deal I’d be tempted by that too, probably quite a few people in the same boat

Shark

@NotShark
Anyone know if there's going to be a black version in or around launch? Was looking up some images and it looks so much better, may even wait on it if it's not too far away.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I'm hoping there's a larger storage already included version e.g. a 1.5 TB edition, even if that's £200 extra, I'll be getting that.

Running out of space has been my biggest annoyance of current gen.
You can always buy a SSD for that amount and keep games which you dont play on that one and swap whenever you want to play them.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You can always buy a SSD for that amount and keep games which you dont play on that one and swap whenever you want to play them.
Don't even need an SSD for that (although it's faster so quicker transfers) I'll be using the same USB3 HDD I use on my PS4...

pratyush_utd

Same in Brazil and Australia according to resetera

PS4 launched in Brazil at nearly $2000. Its one of the reasons Xbox does well there. The price you got for a S is how much nearly a X would cost here. How much is the X over there?

Will it change once more companies start making stuff in India? There’s quite a few that are moving away from China to India.
Nah dont think Sony or MS is going to move console production anytime soon

Apple has already started so maybe for Iphone 12 will see similar price as Western countries but progress is way too slow in this regard.

Adamsk7

Traded my Pro in today at Game for £210 (very good price considering they don’t sell for much more used) so I am ready to go. As soon as preorders are released I am in - going for the disc console as I have some PS4 games in my back catalogue to play and I’ll also get an additional controller and the charge stand. I’ll look at the headset if it’s not an astronomical price....

afrocentricity

Traded my Pro in today at Game for £210 (very good price considering they don’t sell for much more used) so I am ready to go. As soon as preorders are released I am in - going for the disc console as I have some PS4 games in my back catalogue to play and I’ll also get an additional controller and the charge stand. I’ll look at the headset if it’s not an astronomical price....
How long you reckon it's gonna be at that price for?

Adamsk7

Not very long I doubt which is why I did it now. I can wait 2 months without it (have an Xbox anyway). My plan is to keep the Xbox and trade that in on the day - I know I’ll lose £50-60 off what it’ worth now but I’ve still got Doom Eternal to play and I’m enjoying that.

Hopefully that’ll pay for most of the PS4 and I’ll either buy the Series X outright or do the All Access monthly thing. Then I’m set for another 4/5 yrs as I’ve just updated my TV so I won’t need anything more than 4K60. I most likely won’t do the iterative update when it comes in a few yrs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Anyone know if there's going to be a black version in or around launch? Was looking up some images and it looks so much better, may even wait on it if it's not too far away.
There won't be a black version because it would absorb heat, and the white PS5 helps to reflect the heat back and forth inside the giant console until it dissipates. This is basic computer science, folks, I can't believe I have to explain this stuff to all of you...

Dave_MUFC

I think all models will plummet in price once price and pre-orders are open for the PS5 (Possibly Wednesday's event?). Demand for PS5 will increase massively and everyone's going to be looking to sell off their consoles, thus driving down pre owned prices.

Leg-End

Prices on trade in or sell off will plummet soon enough, plenty will keep hold of their consoles until point of release but given the new ones are backwards compatible there is going to be a massive rush to get rid of them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Prices on trade in or sell off will plummet soon enough, plenty will keep hold of their consoles until point of release but given the new ones are backwards compatible there is going to be a massive rush to get rid of them.
I have Death Stranding but haven't played it yet, I'm waiting on the PS5 price to see if I sell my PS4 immediately or not. Too many things to pay for this year :mad: (house, car, home gym equipment and marriage)

afrocentricity

I have a Pro. It's not likely to drop below 100 is it? I dont have a backup console so 2 months without one for a saving of ~100 ... I dunno. Cheers for the info though cartards...

Ainu

It still looks sort of generic to me, despite the beautiful environments on display in this trailer. A bit like Kingdoms of Amalur back in 2012. The gameplay would have to be near Soulsborne levels of excellence for me to even consider getting it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It still looks sort of generic to me, despite the beautiful environments on display in this trailer. A bit like Kingdoms of Amalur back in 2012. The gameplay would have to be near Soulsborne levels of excellence for me to even consider getting it.
Yeah I tend to agree. Some elements of the battle system look like good fun though. I just wonder if it will be one of those games that quickly loses its fun factor.

Not a game I would pay full price for I don't think, but we shall see.

Leg-End

I have a Pro. It's not likely to drop below 100 is it? I dont have a backup console so 2 months without one for a saving of ~100 ... I dunno. Cheers for the info though cartards...
Doubt it will go below £100, I would hold onto it.

pratyush_utd

399$ for digital edition and 449$ for disc edition will be great prices.

PS4 sold 7m in Nov - April window. So 10m is still huge number in similar time frame.

Bojan11

Don’t like the sounds of that. Yeah, PS4 managed fine even though there were shortages with that too. But the amount of gamers and Sony fanboys in the last 7 years has increased, so demand should be higher with the right price. They also launched 3 months later in Japan last time. There’s a chance that it will be out in Japan at the same time as games are getting rated over there.

Looks like we going to have to fight for one Elvis. I’d take that dumb horsey and you take Pigeon.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Don’t like the sounds of that. Yeah, PS4 managed fine even though there were shortages with that too. But the amount of gamers and Sony fanboys in the last 7 years has increased, so demand should be higher with the right price. They also launched 3 months later in Japan last time. There’s a chance that it will be out in Japan at the same time as games are getting rated over there.

Looks like we going to have to fight for one Elvis. I’d take that dumb horsey and you take Pigeon.
There’ll be shortages but there always is with new consoles isn’t there (unless that console is Xbox). Just waiting for the announcement on Wednesday and then we should start hearing from retailers about pre-orders. Not panicking (yet).

pratyush_utd

Delay your purchase for fanboys Bojan. You don't need it as you are getting latest 3080 anyway.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
My birthday is around the PS5 release date. Anyone know the best places to try and secure a preorder in the UK? Scalpers will probably have them all wrapped up when preorders open but worth a shot.