Gaming PlayStation 5

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Was deathloop no good?
Deathloop is one of the best games of the year — at least from what I’ve played so far. And I say that as someone who has previously recognized the quality of Arkane games while struggling to enjoy them. But with this game, French team Arkane Lyon used some smart tricks to amplify its strengths. And the result is a special experience that has broader appeal than some other Arkane projects.

AjaxNL

I really want buy a PS5, as I enjoyed the shit out of my PS4, but the simple thuth is there isn't a single game I'd buy it for. As far as I know, the best PS5 games are either:

- also available and very good on PS4 (Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, GTA V, etc)
- Remakes of ancient games (Last of us 1, GTA V, etc)
- Superhero games (I'm not interested in those)

I did some research and couldn't find one game that I'd specifically want a PS5 for. Bit sad 3 (?) years after the launch. On my PS4 I most enjoyed the Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, The Last of us 2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Hogwarts Legacy. Mostly adventure RPG games I'd say. If someone can convince which games I should buy a PS5 for, that would be great

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Deathloop is one of the best games of the year — at least from what I’ve played so far. And I say that as someone who has previously recognized the quality of Arkane games while struggling to enjoy them. But with this game, French team Arkane Lyon used some smart tricks to amplify its strengths. And the result is a special experience that has broader appeal than some other Arkane projects.
fecking hell I didn't know you were that starved on Xbox.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I mean, Deathloop was amazing, but it feels like anybody that wanted to play it knew that a long time ago so there's little value being lost on these being phased out.
I thought Deathloop was not very good at all. I really don't like Arkane games, though. They just can't do gameplay, IMO.

Not to mention they throw a whole lot of shit at you early on in a very inelegant way. And the UI is dreadful.

caid

I really want buy a PS5, as I enjoyed the shit out of my PS4, but the simple thuth is there isn't a single game I'd buy it for. As far as I know, the best PS5 games are either:

I did some research and couldn't find one game that I'd specifically want a PS5 for. Bit sad 3 (?) years after the launch. On my PS4 I most enjoyed the Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, The Last of us 2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Hogwarts Legacy. Mostly adventure RPG games I'd say. If someone can convince which games I should buy a PS5 for, that would be great
I'd say god of war but they're out on the ps4 too. They look shinier on ps5?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Honestly The Witcher 3 update alone is worth getting the PS5 for. It’s a beautiful game on that system. I think final fantasy is a great exclusive and if you’re into games like the Witcher and hogwarts legacy you’d probably enjoy the route they’ve gone with this one.

unless you have Baldurs gate 3 on pc I think that’s only going to be on ps5 rather than ps4 and it looks like that’s going to be game of the year.

Honestly I’ve replayed a bunch of ps4 games on ps5 though and they were all much better on the system. It’s just so much more cleaner and pretty.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Buy it for the controller. That alone makes so many games better.

Also, God of War. Spidey. Ratchet. Cyberpunk.

CloneMC16

A big reason to buy a PS5 is for the performance increase. PS5 games mostly have the option to play at 60fps. Load screens are also very fast. Almost instantaneous in some games. If you don't care about those things, it's probably not worth it.

The highest rated PS5 exclusives: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal, and Final Fantasy 16.
Higher rated current gen games also available on XSX and PC: A Plague Tale: Requiem, Deathloop, and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

There are probably more, but these are the one's I can think of off the top of my head and a quick Google search. That includes nothing available on last gen and no remakes.

Current gen exclusives are going to start coming out more often this autumn and beyond.

AaronRedDevil

I get it. Only games right now that would be worth it for is Horizon, Cyberpunk 2077 (DLC coming soon too). God of War,
and Spiderman 2 Is a must for the ps5.

Glaswegian

My nephew was going on about the Spiderman game very enthusiastically, so much so that I ended up buying it on the PS store about 3 weeks ago? Down to something like 30 quid.

It is a lovely looking game, the web swinging really is fantastic. All in all a great achievement in terms of gameplay. I just can't get into it, sadly. I've never really enjoyed superhero movies, other than the ones I saw as a child, although I didn't enjoy them revisiting them as an adult. Tried watching bits here and there of the Marvel movies, they make me cringe so hard, I can't for the life of me understand the appeal for people past the age of 21... The game leaves me feeling the same way the movies leave me.

The PS5 is great, I recommend getting it. However, I'm playing mostly older games on it. Last of Us Part 1, Red Dead 1 and 2, LA Noire, Ghost of Tsushima, Resident Evil 4. Booted up The Warriors to play it the other week and it is as glitchy as hell on the PS5, major bummer.

In fact, my most anticipated titles this year are the ports of the original three MGS games, coming in October.

AjaxNL

Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated. I did some research into FF16 and that might be the game for me. Never played FF before, and had a different idea of the type of game it is. But after having seen some gameplay footage and reading about the sotry telling that is supposed to be great, this might really be a game for me. Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time, hoping this is something a little similar.

Bebe

Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated. I did some research into FF16 and that might be the game for me. Never played FF before, and had a different idea of the type of game it is. But after having seen some gameplay footage and reading about the sotry telling that is supposed to be great, this might really be a game for me. Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time, hoping this is something a little similar.
I'm about 70% through FF16. First Final Fantasy game I've played.

It's a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed the game. It isn't close to the Witcher 3 though in terms of story, characters, or worldbuilding though.

Combat is more fun though, and the boss battles are the most spectacular I've ever played in a game.

Coxy

Feels overpriced in the UK. £160 maybe... Ironically what it should be based on exchange rate.
I’d pay £150 for it - but not £200. A shame. I want the portal and the earbuds but I’m not paying £400 for them. £300 on the other hand and I’d pre order isntnstly

lilcurt

I’d pay £150 for it - but not £200. A shame. I want the portal and the earbuds but I’m not paying £400 for them. £300 on the other hand and I’d pre order isntnstly
Exactly, at this price point I don't get why people wouldn't stretch for a Steamdeck or if they want access to completely different games, just get a Switch.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Frames are king but Nintendo fanboy it makes no sense. Did TOTK dull your brain?
I'm not at liberty to divulge what framerate I'm playing totk on. It's no different from me being able to enjoy Starfield at much higher fps either.

But you'll soon find out why playing a game like that at 30fps is far from ideal, especially in the space battles. Enjoy!

amolbhatia50k

Enjoy not playing it at all.
Don’t think I’ll mind that at all.

I'm not at liberty to divulge what framerate I'm playing totk on. It's no different from me being able to enjoy Starfield at much higher fps either.

But you'll soon find out why playing a game like that at 30fps is far from ideal, especially in the space battles. Enjoy!
Barring a few exceptions, I can’t handle 30fps anymore. It’s a dreadful experience now that I’m used to 60fps. One of the game where I don’t mind it is BOTW which I’m currently playing (very slowly) because it’s just not the sort of game where framerate is that important. Death stranding is another one which I tried at 60 and it didn’t elevate the experience much. Same I imagine will be the case with Outer Wilds.

On the other hand, for games that are supposed to be more state of the art /next gen or action oriented, 30fps is a big downgrade. I was just playing Ghosts of Tsushima Directors Cut and that combat at 60fps is a thing of beauty (note also to the person who asking for a recommendation between this and AC Valhalla - it’s not even close).

amolbhatia50k

Apparently one of the free essential games or September is *vomits a little* the latest Saints Row which was a dumpster fire. New ps plus has been great for me but last few months I think the quality has declined - essential in particular.