Gaming PlayStation 5

NotworkSte

You just wanted to show off your portal.

how is it?
Mine arrived. Was playing Alien Isolation on it, it lags a bit at times but nothing terrible, but that was at home near the PS5 and router. Comfortable to use, light but terribly limited (I knew this when I pre-ordered). It's actually laughably limited to be honest, but I play my Switch a lot at the coffee shop and often found myself wanting to play PS5 games there, so I will take it this weekend and see how it goes outside of the house.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I can’t justify new gaming purchases anymore. Even at Black Friday 50 per cent off deals. Unless it’s a game I know I’ll adore and always want to keep like GoWR which I bought out of my birthday gift cash, im just comfortable waiting it out or renting games and selling them in a month or two.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I can’t justify new gaming purchases anymore. Even at Black Friday 50 per cent off deals. Unless it’s a game I know I’ll adore and always want to keep like GoWR which I bought out of my birthday gift cash, im just comfortable waiting it out or renting games and selling them in a month or two.
Thanks for the update

RedDevilQuebecois

I was about to pull the trigger on the COD bundle but it’s sold out everywhere :lol:
I have been thinking about the COD bundle, but the Spider-Man 2 bundle (which I ordered yesterday online at Best Buy) is also a really good shout as well. Depends on one's preferences, I guess.

atkar83

I got the portal yesterday. I like it. Feels nice and quality in your hands. My ISP router was decent but it was spotty in the two places I would most likely play (basement & bedroom), so I got the Eero Pro 6 mesh system on sale and its definitely improved the connection on the top and bottom floors. Played Elden Ring first, it ran perfectly fine (although the movement of the camere seemed slightly jittery, but I think it was like that on the TV too and I had to get used to it, hadn't played it in a while). Then started RDR2 (hadn't played it before) and it looks great.

buckooo1978

Argos have some bundles at £399.99. The console, along with either COD: MW3, Spider-Man 2 or EA FC 24.

This seems to be the cheapest deal at the moment. I doubt there’ll be anything much better than this. It’s a saving of over £100.
yea thanks saw it early and bought it.

Andy_Cole

Mine arrived. Was playing Alien Isolation on it, it lags a bit at times but nothing terrible, but that was at home near the PS5 and router. Comfortable to use, light but terribly limited (I knew this when I pre-ordered). It's actually laughably limited to be honest, but I play my Switch a lot at the coffee shop and often found myself wanting to play PS5 games there, so I will take it this weekend and see how it goes outside of the house.
Yeh do wonder this. No point in buying if out of the house use isn’t great. To be fair I’d also like to play on a flight for example so it does highlight the limitation. They should’ve made it a standalone handheld. I feel the PSP didn’t work because games were too big and expensive. If you can have the same games already purchased on the PS5 on the Portal this would’ve been class.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Managed to get the Bouncy trophy on Sea of Stars (bounce moonerang 25 times) fine - only just, think it was 26 hits - on Portal. Pretty responsive.

Will try playing it a bit in bed to see how it goes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Managed to get the Bouncy trophy on Sea of Stars (bounce moonerang 25 times) fine - only just, think it was 26 hits - on Portal. Pretty responsive.

Will try playing it a bit in bed to see how it goes.
Great game, finished it yesterday.

pacifictheme

Yeah, it is doing a great job of filling my Golden Sun shaped hole. Loved that game as a kid and this has the same charm - still pretty early into it though
Funnily enough I am redownloading this after bg3 stopped my first playthrough very early on.

Have you tried chained echoes or octopath traveller 2, I played both earlier this year and would really recommend them if you like this. Fantastic games.

The new star ocean remaster/remake is supposed to be very good too.

Damien

Staff
Worked great upstairs too.

Funnily enough I am redownloading this after bg3 stopped my first playthrough very early on.

Have you tried chained echoes or octopath traveller 2, I played both earlier this year and would really recommend them if you like this. Fantastic games.

The new star ocean remaster/remake is supposed to be very good too.
I haven't but will definitely give them a shot, thanks for the recommendations!

ovoxo

Anyone purchased a Portal? I like the idea of playing FC24 (career mode) and catching up on my backlog away from my TV set up.

Although, I’m concerned my wifi may not provide a good experience.

ovoxo

What is recommended once hard drive capacity is used up to download new games?
I ended up getting a 1TB SSD and installed it quite easily. Literally takes 2 minutes with a screwdriver. Cost me around £100 but this was last year, it’ll be cheaper with Black Friday deals at the moment.

Andy_Cole

I ended up getting a 1TB SSD and installed it quite easily. Literally takes 2 minutes with a screwdriver. Cost me around £100 but this was last year, it’ll be cheaper with Black Friday deals at the moment.
I want to do this but way too nervous to install it.

ovoxo

I want to do this but way too nervous to install it.
I’m useless at this stuff, but I just followed a YouTube video and it was really easy to do. The most difficult part is getting the cover off.

Damien

Staff
Anyone purchased a Portal? I like the idea of playing FC24 (career mode) and catching up on my backlog away from my TV set up.

Although, I’m concerned my wifi may not provide a good experience.
I did and it works great for me but I've used the Remote Play app on my laptop for seven years so knew my wifi would be fine for it. For you I recommend first trying the Remote Play app on your phone or laptop first and if it works well you can then go for the Portal if you want.

My wifi aint that great (72Mbps download, 12Mbps upload) but the Portal had no issues

ovoxo

I did and it works great for me but I've used the Remote Play app on my laptop for seven years so knew my wifi would be fine for it. For you I recommend first trying the Remote Play app on your phone or laptop first and if it works well you can then go for the Portal if you want.
Thanks for that. I’m curious, have you got an ISP router? And is your ps5 hardwired?

I tested it a few days back on my iPhone, I tried playing Alan Wake 2, it was really choppy. Although, now that I think about it, it was 30fps, rather than 60. Not sure if that’ll make a difference. My PS5 isn’t hardwired and I’m using NowTVs hub 2, which hasn’t caused issues, but I suspect latency issues and stuttering may be because of the router and/or because my PS5 isn’t hardwired. I’ve ordered a ethernet cable which arrives today to test again. My speeds aren’t great either, 70 up and 30 down.

I was looking into replacing my router with a third party one, but apparently Sky/Now use some MERs authentification. No idea what that means, I’m pretty illiterate with this stuff.

Damien

Staff
Thanks for that. I’m curious, have you got an ISP router? And is your ps5 hardwired?

I tested it a few days back on my iPhone, I tried playing Alan Wake 2, it was really choppy. Although, now that I think about it, it was 30fps, rather than 60. Not sure if that’ll make a difference. My PS5 isn’t hardwired and I’m using NowTVs hub 2, which hasn’t caused issues, but I suspect latency issues and stuttering may be because of the router and/or because my PS5 isn’t hardwired. I’ve ordered a ethernet cable which arrives today to test again.

I was looking into replacing my router with a third party one, but apparently Sky/Now use some MERs authentification. No idea what that means, I’m pretty illiterate with this stuff.
ISP router with vodafone and PS5 isn't hardwired. Issues could be because the devices are on a different band - there's a 2.4GHz one and a 5GHz one. 5GHz for both is recommended.

For you it'll probably be better to wire the PS5 up and search for how to connect to the NowTV Hub to see which devices are on what band etc. I'm not the most technological person on that front so there'll be others better to advise on set up but the band thing is what I've heard the most with regards to Remote Play, and don't be afraid to give it a bit of time for the Remote Play to "settle down".

ovoxo

ISP router with vodafone and PS5 isn't hardwired. Issues could be because the devices are on a different band - there's a 2.4GHz one and a 5GHz one. 5GHz for both is recommended.

For you it'll probably be better to wire the PS5 up and search for how to connect to the NowTV Hub to see which devices are on what band etc. I'm not the most technological person on that front so there'll be others better to advise on set up but the band thing is what I've heard the most with regards to Remote Play, and don't be afraid to give it a bit of time for the Remote Play to "settle down".
Thanks Damien.

I know my NowTV Hub is synchronised for both 2.4 and 5ghz. Although I remember when I first set it up my PS5 was laggy. I managed to change it to 5ghz from the PS5 itself. Which fixed the issue. My iPhone doesn’t have that option, so perhaps I need to split the bands. Although I have no idea what happens to the devices already on the hub.

I’ll try and test a few things out and see how remote play works. Hopefully I’ll manage to nail it.

Thanks again.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I need to replace my pulse 3D PS5 headset. Im after a wireless one again i think, any recommendations? There is an absolute sea of options on Amazon so making g a decision is hard!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Finally got one today for my 30th.

Currently got Spiderman miles morales downloading, gonna play that first, then the second horizon, followed by Spiderman 2.

Then I'll replay last of us part 2.

All in all, :drool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finally got one today for my 30th.

Currently got Spiderman miles morales downloading, gonna play that first, then the second horizon, followed by Spiderman 2.

Then I'll replay last of us part 2.

All in all, :drool:
Congrats! Spidery was my first game as well - perfect start to next gen imo.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Getting a PS5 for me and kids for Xmas. Assuming it arrives.

Going to get second controller and probably a charging dock. Maybe SM2 and maybe R&C and maybe GT7.

Any tips and tricks from owners? Going to try and stick to the 850 MB for now and get a fast external hard drive

Has anyone's PS5 fan got louder over time? My PS4 pro is like a jet plane these days. Need to clean it and re-do paste

Damien

Staff

Going to get second controller and probably a charging dock. Maybe SM2 and maybe R&C and maybe GT7.

Any tips and tricks from owners? Going to try and stick to the 850 MB for now and get a fast external hard drive

Has anyone's PS5 fan got louder over time? My PS4 pro is like a jet plane these days. Need to clean it and re-do paste
Mine is a launch one, still very quiet.

Number one tip is to turn off the console beep sound. The launch storage for me was fine but got a 2TB expansion for around £130 in the sales

Damien

Staff

Ainu

Honestly, the disk space hasn't been an issue whatsoever in the 2.5 years I've owned it, and I sometimes have 10+ games installed. Unless you're going for big online titles with huge updates, I'd wait and see if you need the extra space.

It's also still completely silent, even under heavy load. Never even cleaned away the dust.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB with heatsink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7CKZGN6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It has gone up to £162 now which is a high but does go down to around £129 a fair bit. Not sure when it will next go down to that much as there were reports at end of October that Samsung is going to increse its prices so others may follow. I'll let you know if it goes down again
Think that's the same one I bought dude. I havet got round to even opening mine yet, have you? Easy to install? All working ok?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Think that's the same one I bought dude. I havet got round to even opening mine yet, have you? Easy to install? All working ok?
I got the 1TB version last year. It actually is extremely easy to install, once you get the lid off. Took me more time to remove the lid than it took in actually installing the SSD.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I got the 1TB version last year. It actually is extremely easy to install, once you get the lid off. Took me more time to remove the lid than it took in actually installing the SSD.
:lol: nice, thanks! Will get round to it at some point no doubt. Sooner rather than later as I've downloaded CODMW3 and seen my storage decimated!

Damien

Staff
Yeah, I was the same. Very easy to install but had to watch like two videos of people taking the lid off to make sure I wasn't going to break the panel.

Andy_Cole

WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB with heatsink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7CKZGN6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It has gone up to £162 now which is a high but does go down to around £129 a fair bit. Not sure when it will next go down to that much as there were reports at end of October that Samsung is going to increse its prices so others may follow. I'll let you know if it goes down again
Hmm there’s the crucial one that’s under £130 which I may get.