Gaming PlayStation 5

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You really should play the first. It’s incredible and given it is a narrative driven adventure I don’t think your experience with Ragnarok will be complete without it.
I've downloaded it. £7.99. Can't wait to play it now. Thanks.

Redstain

The first is still a brilliant game and looks great on the ps5 with the Pro upgrade so I’d get that before Ragnorak. Also Ragnorak pretty much directly follows the plot of the first.
Imo the first is the better game, feel like the pacing was spot on and there was more of a process around building the characters profiles. I know it's massively helped by the mystery of it all and trying to understand what's happening as the game goes along but it's a real masterpiece.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I drunkingly cracked my fecking HDMI port (putting the cable in upside down in port with unneccesary force) and now I keep losing signal unless I constantly adjust the cable.

Going to have to pay €120 to get it repaired ffs.

RedDevilRoshi

Just did my Playstation wrap and fair to say my numbers have decreased a fair bit!

10 games played

First game: The Quarry

Top 5
1. God Of War: Ragnarock (112 hrs)
2. The Quarry (108 hrs)
3. Hogwarts Legacy (85 hrs)
4. Assassins Creed: Mirage (75 hrs)
5. Marvel's Spider-man 2 (56 hrs)

491 hours, 250 trophies (3 platinums)

Gee Male

Just got a PS5 as a Christmas present but don't know where to start. Haven't played games since the original RDR.

Have EA FC 24 but not much interest in that to be fair, might start with RDR2 and then maybe COD or something similar. Have never played TLOU or God of War or any of that. Obviously new GTA next year.

If you folks were making recommendations to a newbie like me who hasn't followed the industry in 15 years, what would it be?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just got a PS5 as a Christmas present but don't know where to start. Haven't played games since the original RDR.

Have EA FC 24 but not much interest in that to be fair, might start with RDR2 and then maybe COD or something similar. Have never played TLOU or God of War or any of that. Obviously new GTA next year.

If you folks were making recommendations to a newbie like me who hasn't followed the industry in 15 years, what would it be?
GoW 2018 then GoW ragnarok

TLOU part 1 (ps5 version) then TLOU 2 (ps4 copy but it’s receiving a PS5 upgrade soon).

Spider-Man - all 3

First that come to mind, wait on RDR2 as it’s still only 30fps, they will hopefully upgrade it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Started playing sackboy with the wife last night. Fun game. Any other multiplayer games people that are good for couples? We have played overcooked too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Get ps plus extra or whatever it is and just hit everything on there for now. See what mechanics you like these days and which put you off games.

I would recommend starting with older games first as they will feel clunky if you've played newer games first.

I'd recommend gt7 if you like racing games.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

red dead 2

Gee Male

Thanks for the replies - might do the PS plus thing first and take from there. I like the sound of the order @Berbasbullet set out to be fair, though that many games might see me through 2028.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Thanks for the replies - might do the PS plus thing first and take from there. I like the sound of the order @Berbasbullet set out to be fair, though that many games might see me through 2028.
I'm just realising how long ago rdr was :lol:

Horizon: Zero Dawn & Horizon: Forbidden West. Both visually stunning with some great gameplay mechanics (but some poor ones too). Story in first is pretty great, 2nd is ok but not as good story wise. Definitely pick up and give a go if they're free on ps plus.

The Witcher 3! This & both expansions should actually be pretty high on your list. It won't feel terrible controller wise if you're out of the game loop, however if you play GOW first or Horizon or basically anything, the witcher will feel like the clunkiest game ever made. Absolutely brilliant story, setting and atmosphere.

Man I envy you, getting to play all these games for the first time. You're about to have some epic journeys and zero social life! Congrats

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
As a precursor to playing GOW: Valhalla I've gone back and am playing through the OG GOW's.

FInished 1 and am about halfway through 2 now. What I'll say is that beyond the dated graphics and fixed camera (better in 2 than 1) they still hold up fantastically well. Genuinely surprised at ho winvested in the story I am all these years later and the combat is still so much fun. Santa Monica really got Kratos right and having a refresher course on how angry and violent Kratos was in those two early game has been fun.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Downloaded a load of games off PS Plus to try.

Got Rogue Legacy 2, Sea of Stars, The Pedestrian, Inscryption, Teardown, Life is Strange series, Spiritfairer, Children of Morta, Unpacking, Two Point Hospital and Paradise Killer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Downloaded a load of games off PS Plus to try.

Got Rogue Legacy 2, Sea of Stars, The Pedestrian, Inscryption, Teardown, Life is Strange series, Spiritfairer, Children of Morta, Unpacking, Two Point Hospital and Paradise Killer.
Nice bunch - wasn't aware the LiS series was on there, will have to check it out.

Currently I'm doing the cleanup on Sea of Stars (finished the story, got 16 trophies left but all straightforward - don't check the list out as there are spoilers). I enjoyed it. After that, I'm going for A Plague Tale: Requiem and maybe Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin which should tide me through until Rebirth is out.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I've downloaded it. £7.99. Can't wait to play it now. Thanks.
It's on ps+?

I've been playing it myself this week and it's :drool:

Gonna play the second straight after next, then I've got last of us part 2 remastered to play after :drool:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I don't have ps+ mate.
Fair, I automatically assume everyone is on gamepass/ps+ I guess!

Probably better value I'd say though, you'd be able to get GOW and more for a similar sort of price as what youd pay for GOW alone.

Bubz27

Fair, I automatically assume everyone is on gamepass/ps+ I guess!

Probably better value I'd say though, you'd be able to get GOW and more for a similar sort of price as what youd pay for GOW alone.
I'll have a look into it for sure.

I don't know if I play enough to warrant it right now. Busy with work and have a 2 year old. But will look into it and weigh it up.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I'll have a look into it for sure.

I don't know if I play enough to warrant it right now. Busy with work and have a 2 year old. But will look into it and weigh it up.
Also fair.

Ive certainly been in the trap of not playing too often but paying the monthly subscription, for what?

Bubz27

Also fair.

Ive certainly been in the trap of not playing too often but paying the monthly subscription, for what?
To be fair, I got a Portal over Christmas and I've played more over the last 3 weeks than I did in the 6 mo the prior. It might be more worthwhile now.

Jacob

God of War, Witcher 3, Ghost of Tsushima

No Love

Started playing sackboy with the wife last night. Fun game. Any other multiplayer games people that are good for couples? We have played overcooked too.
Rayman Legends is on sale for around £3 on the PS store at the minute. The wife and I are enjoying it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just finished God of War 2. Fecking hell, pretty difficult some of that was :lol:

Old but bloody great game, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t wait to start GOW3.

Also, I’ve realised that I’ve never played GOW Assention or GOW Chains of Olympus so have them to smash through too.

Edit: Although that QTE at the end was almost the breaking of me. The tolerances for those button pushes were horrible and they were randomised too so really annoying but the game itself is about sufferance so I tied it in with that … sort of helped.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn't really rate Nobody Saves The World. Maybe it's because I just came from Rogue Legacy 2 which had really responsive controls and satisfying combat, but it just felt samey and the combat wasn't enjoyable.

Ady87

Can I play PS4 games on my PS5? Can get God of War 2019 for like £9 on ebay as opposed to digital for £15.

Edit: I've only played Ragnarok so working my way backwards.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Evil West is turning out to be a fun distraction at the moment. Doesn't take itself too seriously and lots of mindless killing in third-person

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What’s the second plagues take game like? Do you need to have played the first?