Gaming PlayStation 5

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
A plagues tales isn't for me, I feel the gameplay is horrific. It makes sure the perfect timing parts are a mile after a checkpoint, the movement is dogshit, Hugo is annoying as feck. Don't think I'll go back to it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A plagues tales isn't for me, I feel the gameplay is horrific. It makes sure the perfect timing parts are a mile after a checkpoint, the movement is dogshit, Hugo is annoying as feck. Don't think I'll go back to it.
I hated it too. Wasn’t even a case of not being able to get into it. I just despised the controls, the AI, everything really. Weird cause I see it praised so often elsewhere.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I hated it too. Wasn’t even a case of not being able to get into it. I just despised the controls, the AI, everything really. Weird cause I see it praised so often elsewhere.
Yeah that's why I gave it a go too, everyone else seemed to love it.

The setting is great tbf, it felt quite serene at the start, but it's just ridiculously outdated it seems, control schemes from the 90s.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mine turned itself off today randomly. Never had that before. Better not be packing in just as Rebirth is about to release. :nervous:
An update on this issue. I did a few things like hold the power button longer and do the repair licences (?) option but the real issue seemingly was dust blocking the power supply vent inside the PS5. I periodically open the PS5 up and clean the fan and surrounding area a bit but the vent is further inside. It’s impossible to fully clean for a newbie like me) but I did manage to semi clean it using a bud and reaching in as much as I could. It hasn’t crashed since whereas earlier it was crashing every 20 mins on Ragnarok. Mind you, dust levels here are far higher.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I thought it was meant to leave its competitors in the dust

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Picked up the burning shores DLC for Horizon: Forbidden West. This game is absolutely stunning played on 4k HDR QLED TV.

Its a weird move of them to go cartoony for this mmo thing they're making, absolutely ridiculous infact. The beauty of horizon is the graphics and worlds.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Erm ok I’m still playing it and this game is wild. If anyone plays it just go in blind.
After hearing great things about it, I started it a couple of months back. Act 1 was brilliant but I lost interest in Act 2 which was so dull in comparison. Will go back to it soon.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
After hearing great things about it, I started it a couple of months back. Act 1 was brilliant but I lost interest in Act 2 which was so dull in comparison. Will go back to it soon.
Yeah I think I was originally wow’d by how much depth it had but it definitely wasn’t as fun as the first part.

Ainu

I've also just started playing Inscryption, after seeing everyone say how you should play it even if you don't like card games. Well, I don't like card games and so far, I'm not finding this enjoyable at all. Lies!

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Put 43 hours into Infinite Wealth, although I spent the last 10-15 hours on the island building it up. Was hoping to finish it before Rebirth on Thursdsy but would need to put another 30 hours in by then at least, which is doable but not sure if I will.

Ainu

hobbers

No surprise.

Naughty Dog cancelled their online version of TLOU, after brainstorming some horrific garbled mess, and just want to kick back and live on remakes and rereleases.
Guerrilla will be irrelevant after the next Horizon, especially now all Sony multiplayer shooters have been permanently retired.
Insomniac will struggle to keep rereleasing what is essentially the same Spiderman game on the same map

BristolRuss

Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Guerilla and Firesprite to all see layoffs. Playstation Studios London to close in it's entirety.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Shame.

The covid growth bubble continuing to burst (and some GAAS bubble bursting as well). I guess there was always going to be some correction over time but sucks for those affected.

Shareholder expectations need managing because there's still plenty of revenue and profit to be made sustainably even with hiring challenges and rising costs/development cycles. But there's so much focus on growth and operating profit it feels like studios will continue to be squeezed and with ai advancements there will be increased pressure and expectation on cutting cost.

Last edited:

BristolRuss

Quite a whirlwind week for the folks at the London studio. Hopefully those affected manage to land of their feet soon.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Shame.

The covid growth bubble continuing to burst (and some GAAS bubble bursting as well). I guess there was always going to be some correction over time but sucks for those affected.

Shareholder expectations need managing because there's still plenty of revenue and profit to be made sustainably even with hiring challenges and rising costs/development cycles. But there's so much focus on growth and operating profit it feels like studios will continue to be squeezed and with ai advancements there will be increased pressure and expectation on cutting cost.
So basically studios are just going back to pre pandemic employment levels?

Bebe

So basically studios are just going back to pre pandemic employment levels?
Yup.

It's always terrible to see working people lose jobs, but the reality is that these companies hired way too many people with an unreasonable expectation that the public would game as much after the pandemic as they did during it. Couple that to the average person's disposable income shrinking drastically and higher interest rates making speculation less attractive, and you have a perfect recipe for layoffs and studio closures.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yup.

It's always terrible to see working people lose jobs, but the reality is that these companies hired way too many people with an unreasonable expectation that the public would game as much after the pandemic as they did during it. Couple that to the average person's disposable income shrinking drastically and higher interest rates making speculation less attractive, and you have a perfect recipe for layoffs and studio closures.
Pretty fecking stupid assumption to make in hindsight..... People couldn't wait to get back outside and do things after so long under lockdown.