Gaming PlayStation Plus

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Played Returnal a little bit longer, but it hasn't grabbed me so far. Im minded to try and push through the first biome just to see the second one, but the first one is honestly kind of dull. Again, not what I was expecting.
ive dropped it. Got to end of Biome 3

never really got its hooks into me

caid

Just cannot get into Returnal.... and 20 deaths later, I have yet to come across the Boss, and cannot even discern if I have made any progress in the game.

Only thing I have understood properly is that the Triangle doorway leads to area where I can get an augment of some nature and the Rectangle doorway leads to the next room..... The farthest I have reached is a room which went into lockdown after I entered it but for some reason I could not do any damage to any enemy in that room.

Probably stick with till the weekend and see if I make any noticeable progress else move on to Death Stranding or GoT.
Progress isn't a thing in returnal really, not in a traditional sense. If your desperate to find out how much progress you've made go back to the ship and look at the computer. The more of the databank you have filled out the further in you are but really its not something you should seek or pay any attention to at this point.
It feels very old school in ways, reminds me of a commodore 64 game like turrican or something, you play it to shoot stuff for an hour and see how far you get, its very much about trying to enjoy the minute to minute gameplay.
For the enemies you couldn't hurt - if they have a red shield you need to use a melee attack to break the shield, some alt fire skills break them too.
If you get really stuck on the first level you could delete your save and start fresh, you'll get a few runs that are relatively easy before the difficulty ramps back up. By 20 deaths i'd say the game has probably topped out in difficulty and if your still hanging around the first area with nothing but pistols and shotguns and no access to items from the grappling hook and whatnot i think its basically as hard as the game is capable of being.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

July 19 games

Extra tier
  • Stray | PS4, PS5
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (InterMISSION DLC included) | PS5
  • Marvel's Avengers | PS4, PS5
  • Assassin’s Creed Unity | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection | PS4
  • Saints Row IV: Re-Elected | PS4
  • Saints Row Gat out of Hell | PS4
  • Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition | PS5
  • Ice Age: Scrat’s Nutty Adventure | PS4
  • Jumanji The Video Game | PS4
  • Paw Patrol on a Roll! | PS4
  • ReadySet Heroes | PS4
Premium tier
  • No Heroes Allowed! (PSP)
  • LocoRoco Midnight Carnival (PSP)

Irwin99

Grrr, put some more effort into your classics on premium tier :mad:

Loving the idea of getting Stray for free though :drool:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't wait to play Stray. Change of pace from most games.

All those Assassins Creed games can feck right off though.

largelyworried

Any of those assassins creed games any good? I'd never played one before until i had a stab at Assassins Creed Valhalla, which is so far pretty mediocre.

AaronRedDevil

Any of those assassins creed games any good? I'd never played one before until i had a stab at Assassins Creed Valhalla, which is so far pretty mediocre.
You gotta play the Ezio collection. That was Prime AC. Black flag is very good if you don't mind the 20+ tailing missions. The boat battles are addictive. If you haven't played the very 1st AC game as Altair, just watch a video on YT to give you a quick rundown otherwise you are going to be confused.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
AC 2 is my favourite and one of the first games I really 100%'ed and I'm looking forward to replaying it. I have generally found the rest of them to be either pretty average or worse.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
For me as a long time AC fan. The first is worth playing even today. The Ezio Trilogy is brilliant and he’s one of the best video game characters ever for me. In particular AC 2 and Brotherhood are great. Revelations is average though. I actually really enjoyed AC3 it just has a very slow start. Has some of the best combat in the series though and a brilliant world once it opens up. Personally I think black flag is really overrated and was a big step back for the series.

In terms of the modern games, Origins is decent but unspectacular. Odessey is good but way too long and far too big but for me has better combat compared to Valhalla, which makes it slightly superior.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Really need some advice from Returnal. Beat the 1st boss, made it to the 2nd boss but couldn't take him. Since then I've been unable to get a proper run going. Coop doesnt seem to make things easier.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
AC2 is the best game in the series. Probably replayed it about 20 times. Should definitely start with that one first.

caid

I think I will bin Returnal. Not even reached the first boss yet in Returnal. Just not a game for me, I guess
Really need some advice from Returnal. Beat the 1st boss, made it to the 2nd boss but couldn't take him. Since then I've been unable to get a proper run going. Coop doesnt seem to make things easier.
You're both pretty much at the hardest part of the game. Think of it as the last boss and biggest challenge of the game because it basically is. Its funny how much easier it is once you've finished act 2. Difficulty level is backwards and dumb but it does level out to a much more reasonable level.
I dont really have any advice. Eventually you'll get a decent run in terms of drops. Just have to bang your head against it for a few hours

Gehrman

You're both pretty much at the hardest part of the game. Think of it as the last boss and biggest challenge of the game because it basically is. Its funny how much easier it is once you've finished act 2. Difficulty level is backwards and dumb but it does level out to a much more reasonable level.
I dont really have any advice. Eventually you'll get a decent run in terms of drops. Just have to bang your head against it for a few hours
I read you could heal infinitely by sleeping in the ship but they removed with the patches I now installed. Could have used that. I feel coop just makes the game harder. It turns enemies into bullet sponges. For some reason I had 17 ether after I joined someone else game. Is that a reward?

caid

I read you could heal infinitely by sleeping in the ship but they removed with the patches I now installed. Could have used that. I feel coop just makes the game harder. It turns enemies into bullet sponges. For some reason I had 17 ether after I joined someone else game. Is that a reward?
Dont know about co op. Never used it much. Ether carries from one run to the next so might have been left over from previous run. Yes a lot of advice i read was outdated basically.
One piece of advice actually is to turn sprint to always on in the options - that helps a lot. I turned the auto aim up to full too.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What's extra tier? Sorry, I've been out of it for a while. Is this included with my standard PS+ membership or is it additional?
Standard PS+ membership is Essential which is the three monthly games at the start of the month. Extra is a tier above where you have access to play hundreds of games including first party like Returnal, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

Cypriot

Standard PS+ membership is Essential which is the three monthly games at the start of the month. Extra is a tier above where you have access to play hundreds of games including first party like Returnal, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima etc.
Brilliant, thank you mate. The Extra seems a great deal considering it's only a few quid more a month.

largelyworried

I think I will bin Returnal. Not even reached the first boss yet in Returnal. Just not a game for me, I guess
Yeah I just stopped. I had a good run where I got a great weapon and charged deep into the level. Then died and had 4 more runs where I was just popping beasts endlessly with the pea shooter. So I looked on Reddit to see how long it took people to get through the first biome, and there were loads of posts along the lines of "I just kept playing til I got good RNG" and that just didn't appeal to me whatsoever.

Get to Hallownest and beat Hornet - that's the "BB - Gascoigne" point of no return. It's basically a souls game ffs.
Speaking of games I didn't get into... This sounded right up my street since I adore both SOTN & Souls games, but it never really seemed to get its hooks in me. Also, it absolutely is not a Souls game.

Moby

Dick
Speaking of games I didn't get into... This sounded right up my street since I adore both SOTN & Souls games, but it never really seemed to get its hooks in me. Also, it absolutely is not a Souls game.
How far did you go? Like a lot of souls games the initial phases are a grind. You have to get to a point where you have enough items to not worry about farming and have good comfort in combat.

largelyworried

How far did you go? Like a lot of souls games the initial phases are a grind. You have to get to a point where you have enough items to not worry about farming and have good comfort in combat.
Quite a bit past Hornet, would have to look up a boss list to remind myself exactly since it's been a while.

Moby

Dick
Quite a bit past Hornet, would have to look up a boss list to remind myself exactly since it's been a while.
I quit my first playthrough at Soul Sanctum so probably around the same time. Although I was already obsessed but kept having my ass kicked at that fecking cnut of an area. Came back a couple of months later when it just clicked and... 700 hours later here we are. :lol:

largelyworried

I quit my first playthrough at Soul Sanctum so probably around the same time. Although I was already obsessed but kept having my ass kicked at that fecking cnut of an area. Came back a couple of months later when it just clicked and... 700 hours later here we are. :lol:
My problem is I've tried it twice already, so starting a new game would mean shlepping through bits I’ve already done twice, which is always a bit of a pain. Sometimes happens with books that, makes it even harder to pick up again.

Moby

Dick
My problem is I've tried it twice already, so starting a new game would mean shlepping through bits I’ve already done twice, which is always a bit of a pain. Sometimes happens with books that, makes it even harder to pick up again.
Just tell yourself your life will be incomplete without beating The Radiance. The rest will follow.

Gehrman

A guy helped me beat the 2nd boss(he carried me). I got the grappling hook, I now I booted up the game and all that progress is lost. I rarely give up on games, but think I might with this one. genre is not really me, too much of a noob. I'm not going to beat the 2nd boss again.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm up for carrying a few people in Returnal this evening.... Just sayin.

caid

A guy helped me beat the 2nd boss(he carried me). I got the grappling hook, I now I booted up the game and all that progress is lost. I rarely give up on games, but think I might with this one. genre is not really me, too much of a noob. I'm not going to beat the 2nd boss again.
I think pretty much everyone feels the same way about the game at some point. It just keeps getting easier. Grappling hook opens up access to a lot of extra items.