Gaming PlayStation Plus

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
As someone who has only tried Destiny once for a couple of hours how should one approach this? Just play this WQ expansion? Or any other content worth my time as I prefer self contained single player games.
It’s worth playing, if you like single player games the campaign can be done alone, bar some strikes that will require a team which will have matchmaking. It’s the sort of game that can get you hooked.

Coxy

Witch Queen campaign, especially solo on hard difficulty was really fun. Destiny noobs might want to do it on normal mind... I've had 9 years experience
So with the queen campaign being on ps plus - can we download the whole destiny game and then just this one part will work for us do you know?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
As someone who has only tried Destiny once for a couple of hours how should one approach this? Just play this WQ expansion? Or any other content worth my time as I prefer self contained single player games.
With such a long running game like this, it's tempting to think you should start with the earliest content and work through to the newer. Problem with that here would be that the original D2 campaign and the excellent first expansion were removed from the game. We then got a couple of mediocre expansions before witch Queen.

So, in short, if it let's you, I would just play through WQ. Use whatever guns drop for you and equip better armour too as it drops. There are lots of RPG systems which you can get into if you want, but will require a time investment to fully get the best out of.

I've actually stopped playing d2 as much as I used to. But I had a blast for the best part of 9 years with the franchise

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
With such a long running game like this, it's tempting to think you should start with the earliest content and work through to the newer. Problem with that here would be that the original D2 campaign and the excellent first expansion were removed from the game. We then got a couple of mediocre expansions before witch Queen.

So, in short, if it let's you, I would just play through WQ. Use whatever guns drop for you and equip better armour too as it drops. There are lots of RPG systems which you can get into if you want, but will require a time investment to fully get the best out of.

I've actually stopped playing d2 as much as I used to. But I had a blast for the best part of 9 years with the franchise
I think I’ll do this. I don’t want to spend hours and hours on average campaign / narratives for loot etc only to then have to pay extra to play the better ones. Like I said these type of games just aren’t for me as I know there’s ALOT of grind involved. But WQ or the preview I played of it was enjoyable.

GaryLifo

I think I’ll do this. I don’t want to spend hours and hours on average campaign / narratives for loot etc only to then have to pay extra to play the better ones. Like I said these type of games just aren’t for me as I know there’s ALOT of grind involved. But WQ or the preview I played of it was enjoyable.
Yes, the campaign for WQ was excellent IMO and worked well solo. This said, if played on normal difficulty, you'll likely finish it in 6-8 hours and maybe less.

If you choose to go hard difficulty you'll need to go and learn about dealing with champion enemies though. Some of these cannot be killed without the correct matching mod on your gear

Fully Fledged

amolbhatia50k

Ah feck and I could have extended my plan for a discount awhile back.

This comes on the back of the worst essential line up till date. Giving the disastrous Saints Row as your main game is something else. At least there’s extra to look forward to I guess.

Fully Fledged

Ah feck and I could have extended my plan for a discount awhile back.

This comes on the back of the worst essential line up till date. Giving the disastrous Saints Row as your main game is something else. At least there’s extra to look forward to I guess.
It doesn't go up until next Wednesday. I don't know if it's worth your while extending now.

amolbhatia50k

If I extend my PS Plus plan by a year A) will it extend for a year from now or from the end of my plan (Nov) as I don’t imagine I’ll lose three months of my current plan ? And B) can they apply the price increase retrospectively

If anyone has a clue.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If I extend my PS Plus plan by a year A) will it extend for a year from now or from the end of my plan (Nov) as I don’t imagine I’ll lose three months of my current plan ? And B) can they apply the price increase retrospectively

If anyone has a clue.
It will extend by a year from when your current plan ends. They cannot apply price increase retrospectively.

amolbhatia50k

It will extend by a year from when your current plan ends. They cannot apply price increase retrospectively.
That’s great then. Will extend it before the new prices kick in. Thanks!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

If anyone has a clue.
It will extend a year from now and they can apply the price increase retrospectively

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Won't be renewing at these prices, y'all letting yourselves get run over again. If people don't pay then they will have to listen as money talks loudest. Those rushing to renew now are just saying "take my money" ... and then what?

Ainu

Won't be renewing at these prices, y'all letting yourselves get run over again. If people don't pay then they will have to listen as money talks loudest. Those rushing to renew now are just saying "take my money" ... and then what?
The higher tiers, sure, but people who spend a lot of their time on online multiplayer don't really have a choice (except switching platforms but that's not always an option).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Almost as bad as those 17 people who paid crazy money for a VR2

afrocentricity

The higher tiers, sure, but people who spend a lot of their time on online multiplayer don't really have a choice (except switching platforms but that's not always an option).
That's what they want you to think of course. You have to get it as you have no choice... Only, if every unhappy person said feck that, they would change the approach quick time, giving you more compelling options.

But will enough people revolt?

Almost as bad as those 17 people who paid crazy money for a VR2
Continuing VR support is one of the things they are still doing right.... Whether it's a hangover from Layden who knows? Ryan is a shit CEO

I can afford 500 odd for a state of the art VR headset (with a lot of good games as things stand)

30% hike on a subscription I barely use...... Not enthused

Last edited:

Ainu

That's what they want you to think of course. You have to get it as you have no choice... Only, if every unhappy person said feck that, they would change the approach quick time, giving you more compelling options.

But will enough people revolt?
No one will revolt. :lol: That would mean they have to stop playing their CoDs, Battlefields, whatevers. Obviously not going to happen. Most people don't care enough, they'll grumble a bit and pay anyway.

afrocentricity

No one will revolt. :lol: That would mean they have to stop playing their CoDs, Battlefields, whatevers. Obviously not going to happen. Most people don't care enough, they'll grumble a bit and pay anyway.
Yup. Shite state of affairs. I'ma post this anyway....
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/23/22245630/microsoft-xbox-live-gold-price-increase-reversed-f2p

We messed up today and you were right to let us know. Connecting and playing with friends is a vital part of gaming and we failed to meet the expectations of players who count on it every day. As a result, we have decided not to change Xbox Live Gold pricing.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I got the 12 month subscription for £75 Black Friday last year.
Do you think they will run a similar deal this year?

Decisions decisions. Do I pull the trigger on the £100 cost now before the increase or gamble on a Black Friday deal?

They better be looking to add some great titles to justify this increase!

Ainu

Continuing VR support is one of the things they are still doing right.... Whether it's a hangover from Layden who knows? Ryan is a shit CEO
From the perspective of a gamer (or at leat this gamer), he's an absolute disaster. He doesn't understand why anyone would ever want to play an old game when you can play something new and shiny. At a time when so many publishers are struggling to keep a single service game alive past the first year, he suddenly wants to steer a company built on a rich history of beloved single-player titles into a bold live-service future of shite.

He's probably great for shareholders or whatever.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That's a fecking insane price rise, and coming off the back of an absolutely garbage month of PS Plus game announcements. What the hell are they thinking? Not that it matters, of course. Not enough people will give this up as you're fecked if you wanna play online (which Is a scam in and of itself).

Also, the highest tier is garbage. I think PS Extra is good, but not for the price it is now. Plus you don't get the big game releases day and date on there, which I think would make the price somewhat less egregious. Just Sony being bellends.

GaryLifo

I'm paid up on Premium until December 2024 already after taking two years at the black friday price, but I'll be dropping that back down to a lower tier if those prices remain by the time I need to renew.

They would need to start adding day 1 release premium games (on the level of GoW / Ratchet / Horizon) for me to justify a 30% - 40% price increase

caid

Thought it was overpriced garbage before the increase. I'd sub once in a blue moon to play one game. Wont be doing that again.

GaryLifo

Thought it was overpriced garbage before the increase. I'd sub once in a blue moon to play one game. Wont be doing that again.
I’ve had plenty of value out of it. I tend to base gaming value on whether I get at least £1 per hour of entertainment out of a game or in this case, bunch of games. I’ve had way more than 100 hours playing games included in the extra tier and played games I’ve enjoyed but wouldn’t have bought.

caid

I’ve had plenty of value out of it. I tend to base gaming value on whether I get at least £1 per hour of entertainment out of a game or in this case, bunch of games. I’ve had way more than 100 hours playing games included in the extra tier and played games I’ve enjoyed but wouldn’t have bought.
Theres a pretty limited number of games on it that i dont own or couldn't buy for the same price as a one month sub. I basically use it like renting a game from a video library, if i actually like the game i tend to buy it on sale at some point. €15 is a steep price for that, €20 is a non starter.
I'd be pretty pissed about the online multiplayer being locked behind that if i ever played a multiplayer game on the ps5 but they dont see to have any so i guess it doesn't matter. Its a stupid obstacle to put in front of players if your going all in on live service games. No harm in killing that early.

Ainu

Theres a pretty limited number of games on it that i dont own or couldn't buy for the same price as a one month sub. I basically use it like renting a game from a video library, if i actually like the game i tend to buy it on sale at some point. €15 is a steep price for that, €20 is a non starter.
I'd be pretty pissed about the online multiplayer being locked behind that if i ever played a multiplayer game on the ps5 but they dont see to have any so i guess it doesn't matter. Its a stupid obstacle to put in front of players if your going all in on live service games. No harm in killing that early.
What prices are you referring to? Even after the price increase, a yearly sub for the most expensive tier would "only" be around €12.6 per month. But everyone knows the highest tier is pointless, so more realistic prices would be around €10.5 for Extra and €6 for Essential. Monthly subs are more expensive, with Extra at €14, but these aren't getting increased (for now), only the yearly subs.

It's worth noting that most (if not all) live-service or f2p games don't require PS Plus. It's the more traditional online multiplayer games that require it. So something like

caid

What prices are you referring to? Even after the price increase, a yearly sub for the most expensive tier would "only" be around €12.6 per month. But everyone knows the highest tier is pointless, so more realistic prices would be around €10.5 for Extra and €6 for Essential. Monthly subs are more expensive, with Extra at €14, but these aren't getting increased (for now), only the yearly subs.

It's worth noting that most (if not all) live-service or f2p games don't require PS Plus. It's the more traditional online multiplayer games that require it. So something like
Ah got it. I was guessing the price, its been a while.
Didn't know about f2p games being free either.